Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

February 2016 - Grand Fiction Challenge READER'S CHOICE POLL! (1 Viewer)

Which Grand Fiction story do you like best?

• The Coward's Way Out

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Countdown To Oblivion

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The Place

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • The Crossing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Case Of The Angry Wife

• Kimari's Heart

• Like Snuffing Out A Candle

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Morning Glory

• The Goat Farm

• Impossible Cat And The Skunk Of Freedom

• Dead By Dawn

• Desperate Times

• Dawn

• Infitialis Navitas

• Musiques Nocturnes

• Fighting Back

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Geez, is everyone here that impatient?:icon_cheesygrin:

Seriously, for the main three main prose competitions I think one like we just did for February is a good idea. Picking out favorites like we have done I do not believe would sway the judges. From my experience here the judges may be harsh, but always fair. I also think going back to original intention on the informal discussion threads is a good idea.

The main poetry contest I think was improved by making it a blind vote; however, it's still a popularity contest (and there's nothing wrong with that). I've seen winners there that still need a lot of work and some I have no clue about. One reason I like the PIP contest is because we get feedback. I assume there is nothing keeping anyone who wants feedback from putting their work in a workshop after the competition, though I rarely see it (could be, like me, other things come up that are more important).

rcallaci

Staff member
Administrator
I found this to be a humbling experience :)

I really like two stories in this challenge-"the cowards way out" and the 'Goat farm" both of these had an impact on me. I had to choose between the two, a tough decision because I liked them both in equal measure- two different genres- I chose the 'cowards way out-My reasons for this was that I have been doing a kind of SI-Fi of late, although horror, fantasy and the odd is more my thing, so the coward's way it it was. Both outstanding stories.

One was about hope never dies and the other was about tender meat is a treat:)

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
I looked back again at the ones that didn't get votes, and a few were at least as good as ones that got more than one vote. I agree with Bob, it is humbling - and difficult, even just to put down "likes." The judges comments are going to be very interesting.

Phil Istine

Staff member
Global Moderator
I have decided not to vote. I carried out a pretty thorough scoring regime and ended up with a three-way tie. I could do a random draw for those three, but I feel that it might be disrespectful for the two that weren't drawn.
I can't split them.
Thank you for an enjoyable read everyone.

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
At the end of this thing, we can't help but recall some wise words a recent winner of the LM said -
The remarkable value the LM competitions hold for me is achieved when my submission is complete.

If our story has been read, analyzed, scored poorly or scored well, the primary value is in its very existence as a completed piece of work. For us personally, seeing at least a single vote in this thread exceeds our expectations and warms our blackened heart.

We wish all of our compatriots the best of luck and eagerly await the results of this contest.

Deleted member 56686

Retired Supervisor
WF Veterans
I did vote, though I won't tell you for what since I'm one of the judges. I also found out I missed one of the entries so I had to send Annie a revised score sheet to add the missed entry. A thousand pardons and I assure you all that I only added the scores of the missed entry. The original scores on the others remain the same.

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
I did vote, though I won't tell you for what since I'm one of the judges. I also found out I missed one of the entries so I had to send Annie a revised score sheet to add the missed entry. A thousand pardons and I assure you all that I only added the scores of the missed entry. The original scores on the others remain the same.

Hmm, we thought Kilroy was running this extravaganza. Must be a team effort. Cool!

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
Cran said:
These things get raised quietly from time to time, but too often get set aside as everything else needs doing. This might be a good time to open up the discussion and get a sense of what our participating members and challenge organisers feel would best serve into the future.

We'd like to see a softening on the position, ourselves. Having been banned on occasion for the simple act of clicking the 'like' button, perhaps the influence of popular opinion on judges' impartiality is slightly overblown. Our judges do a great job and seem to always remain fair when considering the work.

Allowing likes and discussion seems reasonable moving forward, don't you think? If there's one thing we desperately need to preserve in these challenges, it's sustained participation.

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
Honestly, I think if a judge is swayed by the Likes then they maybe shouldn't be judging.

HOWEVER, the Likes can influence the people who haven't submitted yet....so not Liking an entry until after the challenge closes to new entries is ENTIRELY appropriate.

W.Goepner

WF Veterans
We'd like to see a softening on the position, ourselves. Having been banned on occasion for the simple act of clicking the 'like' button, perhaps the influence of popular opinion on judges' impartiality is slightly overblown. Our judges do a great job and seem to always remain fair when considering the work.

Allowing likes and discussion seems reasonable moving forward, don't you think? If there's one thing we desperately need to preserve in these challenges, it's sustained participation.

Like I said SPaG is SPaG, No amount of likes should influence the amount of SPaG issues. Tone/Voice and Effect, Might or can be influenced, But should not because they are ways to determine how well the writer presented the piece and what it did for the judge personally.

If you the reader like what I am saying right now! It could influence the others to decide we should open the comments in the chat areas, over the likes in the competition thread. Thus enabling a broader view of any one piece. NOW A judge may not comment in these discussions, it might reveal their choice. I can see Tone/Voice and Effect being effected, when detailed discussions come up like, why I choose to Cap the first letter of a word to emphasize it. Those discussions should be discouraged. But general chat of, I liked this over that. Why Not?

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
The way we do it is probably different. Judged quite a few times and always copy the text out into a word file and do a thorough, quiet read without the influence of the forum chatter. At no time could 'likes' or such trivialities affect or sway our review in the least.

Cran

Da Boss Emeritus
Patron
I looked back again at the ones that didn't get votes, and a few were at least as good as ones that got more than one vote. I agree with Bob, it is humbling - and difficult, even just to put down "likes." The judges comments are going to be very interesting.
This is what I mean about the poll not reflecting the overall appeal to the readers. I'm sure there are more of us who got to that eenie meanie mynee mo situation to pick just one, who would rather have gone: I like this one and this one and this one ... and maybe that one; whether for similar or very different reasons for each choice.

Hmm, we thought Kilroy was running this extravaganza. Must be a team effort. Cool!
Yes.

Honestly, I think if a judge is swayed by the Likes then they maybe shouldn't be judging.

HOWEVER, the Likes can influence the people who haven't submitted yet....so not Liking an entry until after the challenge closes to new entries is ENTIRELY appropriate.
That's where I see it differently. I see that, in our regular challenges, some later entries are influenced by earlier ones anyway,* so if that is the issue, then all entries should remain hidden until after the judging. Otherwise, we're stuck with this neither one thing nor the other. As I see it, we either go fully blind as some real world competitions run, or fully open to commentary and influence as most real world competitions - especially those outside of writing - happen, and in happening tend to pull the most attention and support.

Yes, it means the early runners are the bar-setters, the ones to beat. So what? That is the case now, we just don't embrace it, or worse, go all the heavy to deny it.

*One challenge I judged progressed like a game of Chinese Whispers.

Like I said SPaG is SPaG, No amount of likes should influence the amount of SPaG issues. Tone/Voice and Effect, Might or can be influenced, But should not because they are ways to determine how well the writer presented the piece and what it did for the judge personally.

If you the reader like what I am saying right now! It could influence the others to decide we should open the comments in the chat areas, over the likes in the competition thread. Thus enabling a broader view of any one piece. NOW A judge may not comment in these discussions, it might reveal their choice. I can see Tone/Voice and Effect being effected, when detailed discussions come up like, why I choose to Cap the first letter of a word to emphasize it. Those discussions should be discouraged. But general chat of, I liked this over that. Why Not?
Can't say I agree with all of that, Bill. Something like that would just be moving the police fence and leading to even greater dissension over can or can't. Better, I think to remove any shackles and embrace the interest, or go fully blind and remove the uncertainty and fear of influence.

Where we are, I think, is unsupportable if not hypocritical. Not to mention being a pig to police at times.

Schrody

WF Veterans
I would like to thank everyone who read 'em all, and to members who haven't got a single vote - there's always next year ;)

Btw. it's a tie. Who won?!

Cran

Da Boss Emeritus
Patron
Will the LM scores be up this weekend?
That depends on how many pitchforks and flaming torches Bazz can sell ...

I would like to thank everyone who read 'em all, and to members who haven't got a single vote - there's always next year ;)

Btw. it's a tie. Who won?!
Funny you should ask that. There is a huddle going on among the sponsors and organisers to decide whether to play the tie, or enter a tie-breaker run-off. Until the late run from the second placed, it didn't look like something we needed to consider this time.

So, in keeping with the spirit of LM, we're going to build the suspense until the mob can't stand it any more and decide to storm the castle gates.

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
That's not fair--that makes it a judges' choice .... Runoff!!!! It's the only FAIR way.

Cran

Da Boss Emeritus
Patron
One suggestion. Maybe the one with the higher score wins the tiebreaker?
I mean this in the nicest possible way - Hell No!

The judges scores and the people's choice are entirely separate entities, and it would look bad - as in police state bad - for the people's choice to be decided by the judges' choice.

Users who are viewing this thread