Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

February 2016 - Grand Fiction Challenge READER'S CHOICE POLL! (1 Viewer)

Which Grand Fiction story do you like best?

• The Coward's Way Out

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Countdown To Oblivion

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The Place

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • The Crossing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Case Of The Angry Wife

• Kimari's Heart

• Like Snuffing Out A Candle

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Morning Glory

• The Goat Farm

• Impossible Cat And The Skunk Of Freedom

• Dead By Dawn

• Desperate Times

• Dawn

• Infitialis Navitas

• Musiques Nocturnes

• Fighting Back

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Allysan

I was mostly being sarcastic.. How would voting for myself boost my ego? Kind of pathetic if it did. However, I haven't seen that rule posted in this thread before now...

Glhadiator

I have always viewed popular voting on stories as 'subjective'. It's why I don't subscribe to movie critics. I voted...of course. But the real reason I'm a member of this forum is for the exercise. Even boots require lots of rubbing to get shiny.

I just hope that fellow members realize that just because I didn't vote for a story doesn't mean I didn't like it. The bad stories are the ones that never get told.

Cran

Da Boss Emeritus
Patron
I was mostly being sarcastic.. How would voting for myself boost my ego? Kind of pathetic if it did. However, I haven't seen that rule posted in this thread before now...
That's our fault. It's been a standard rule in these sorts of polls - mostly Poetry challenges, but occasionally in fiction - that the old hands take it for granted.

I have always viewed popular voting on stories as 'subjective'. It's why I don't subscribe to movie critics. I voted...of course. But the real reason I'm a member of this forum is for the exercise. Even boots require lots of rubbing to get shiny.

I just hope that fellow members realize that just because I didn't vote for a story doesn't mean I didn't like it. The bad stories are the ones that never get told.
This is exactly right, and the very thing that a vote-for-one cannot show.

Critics - that's different. There are good and bad, or skilled and inexperienced, as with most areas of expression. Critics and judges do look for different things in the works they consider, and while, yes, voting is strongly weighted to the subjective, proper critiquing and judging is more often evenly weighted or slightly leaning to the objective measures. Even so, it is the subjective response to a work that ultimately sways a critic or judge of creative material.

Where the non-critic can say, "I don't know from art, but I know what I like," the experienced critic can say, "I do know from art, and this ticks all the boxes, but I still don't like."

joshybo

WF Veterans
One thing that I might like to mention here is that, for future reference, it's probably best practice if none of the entrants discuss how many votes their piece has received in a public fashion either way. I have absolutely no issue with the discussion that's taken place, as it brings forth a few good points that I had questions about myself, but even mentioning publicly that one's piece hasn't received any votes sort of whittles down for those reading which piece may or may not be yours. In the regular LMs, it's not such a huge deal, as our names are typically attached to our pieces, but the Grand Fiction challenge goes out of its way to maintain the anonymity of the authors for certain reasons. Again, this is solely for future reference, as there are rules in place regarding discussing one another's entries in our monthly competitions that I have had to be reminded of myself, previously.

Flint

Good job, everyone! :)

I've just finished reading them all, and I greatly enjoyed all of them. I'm still having a ponder as to which one I'm going to vote for. I didn't realise judging could be so difficult. :D

Glhadiator

I would also add to what joshybo has pointed out in regards to voting: Many times, as people are known to do, voting can be influenced by the current popular trend. If a person is allowed to see which direction everyone else is voting they will sometimes cast their vote to follow the trend.

There are various reasons people will vote in that manner. Too many to list or discuss here.

I only bring this up because we are allowed to view the current voting 'before' we cast our vote. I feel that should be changed. Just another newbie trying to change things. =;

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
The main poetry challenge has already approved "blind" voting. Maybe this could be considered next year, since voting has already started. However, it wouldn't have changed my vote any. I think many of us would rather be good than popular.:smile:

Flint

I didn't look before I voted, but I don't think it would have swayed my choice, personally. However, it's not a bad idea to make the vote blind next year.

It's interesting to see the results so far.

Glhadiator

Let me rephrase my previous statement: "I feel that should be changed for future contests."

I agree with your assessment midnightpoet; most people on this forum want to be or become good writers. It's pretty much the core reason to join a writing forum.

However, following a trend to be popular is only one of the reasons people are captured by the lure of trends. People are swayed or influenced by trends without ever realizing they are being manipulated. As a society we follow trends in clothing, shoes, food, art, literature, devices ... well, pretty much everything. Most people will deny they are influenced by trends (we like to think of ourselves as individuals). I offer this as evidence: Examine all of the 'stuff' you own. How much of it resembles the current trends?

Don't misinterpret what I am saying. I am not trying to say trends are a bad thing. Unless maybe you're trying to solicit a general consensus using subjectivity.

Subjective voting or analysis, for me, is the most desirable facet this forum has when it comes to submitting stories. I want to know if my story moved you. I want to know how it made you feel. I want to know if you connected with my character. Did my story have a discernible style? Did the POV work or confuse the reader?

Just because a story doesn't have any spelling, punctuation or grammar mistakes means it is a good read.

Kyle R

WF Veterans
Congrats to all the competitors! :D It's always fun to see the different directions a prompt can go. Divergent thinking for the win!

Now, let's see . . . who to cast my vote for . . . :read:

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
Does anyone else wonder how many people truly read 16,000 words and cast an objective vote? Can't help but wonder at the forum dynamics at work here. If there was some way to incentivize impartiality and thoroughness... ;)

Last edited:

W.Goepner

WF Veterans
If only I could have entered I would have been the only one to have written, not about a gruesome ending of people or humanity, But about a orchid like flower which blooms only one night in forty years, and as daylight intrudes upon its night of glory it fades to a withered husk of its former glory radiance.

Oh was the peoples choice for the better story in our opinion, or were we expected to base it on more like if we had judged it?

InkwellMachine

WF Veterans
If only I could have entered I would have been the only one to have written, not about a gruesome ending of people or humanity, But about a orchid like flower which blooms only one night in forty years, and as daylight intrudes upon its night of glory it fades to a withered husk of its former glory radiance.

Oh was the peoples choice for the better story in our opinion, or were we expected to base it on more like if we had judged it?
I'm sure how you vote is completely up to your discretion.

Schrody

WF Veterans
Does anyone else wonder how many people truly read 16,000 words and cast an objective vote? Can't help but wonder at the forum dynamics at work here. If there was some way to incentivize impartiality and thoroughness... ;)

Well, since I didn't read them all, I figured it would be unfair of me to vote :)

Terry D

Retired Supervisor
The People's Choice doesn't have to be impartial -- in face it should probably not be. It is strictly a popularity contest. Just like in the real world, the best written, most thoughtful, books aren't all best-sellers. Don't worry about being fair, just pick one you like a vote for it. The judges will hand the rest of the stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread