Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

February 2016 - Grand Fiction Challenge READER'S CHOICE POLL! (2 Viewers)

Which Grand Fiction story do you like best?

• The Coward's Way Out

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Countdown To Oblivion

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The Place

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • The Crossing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Case Of The Angry Wife

• Kimari's Heart

• Like Snuffing Out A Candle

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Morning Glory

• The Goat Farm

• Impossible Cat And The Skunk Of Freedom

• Dead By Dawn

• Desperate Times

• Dawn

• Infitialis Navitas

• Musiques Nocturnes

• Fighting Back

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
It will be interesting to compare the favorite with the actual winner. I'll be surprised if it's the same one, but you never know.

Deleted member 56686

Retired Supervisor
WF Veterans
You mean this guy?

5-the-bishop1.jpg

Bishop

WF Veterans
Everyone at work calls me Al Borland:

1011_Flannel_5.jpg

I always thought I had a bit of a Billy Mays vibe as well (may he rest in peace!):

hqdefault.jpg

Cran

Da Boss Emeritus
Patron
>shrugs< I don't know. An eye-patch, some baby oil sheen, extensive plastic surgery ... and he's the spitting image of Snake.

What if someone wins 1st place and People's Choice Award?
A parade through Forumtown ... and a damn fine lynching, probably.

It's not usual for judges and people to agree. It happens, but it's not usual.

It will be much more difficult with such a large spread of entries and a small voter population with one vote per. Unless there is a common standout (which I don't see), there could well be ties at each step, and a possible run-off vote of the first tier ties to determine a winner.

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
Is it considered unethical to vote for myself? I mean.. It's unlikely that anyone else will do it at this point and I'm craving an ego boost. :beaten:

People have been banned for such things. :)

Just give it time - there are lots more people coming to vote. Right?

Seems like this would have been a perfect place for the three-vote system like the poets do.

Deleted member 56686

Retired Supervisor
WF Veterans
Is it considered unethical to vote for myself? I mean.. It's unlikely that anyone else will do it at this point and I'm craving an ego boost. :beaten:

It's not only unethical, it's against the rules and it can get you disqualified.

Look, the first time I entered a challenge there were fewer entries (seven I think) and you could vote on your favorite three entries. Do you know how many votes I got? Absolutely zero. Talk about dejection :(

This time there are fifteen entries and you can only vote for one so it won't be surprising that some end up with zero votes. It doesn't mean it sucks. It only means you weren't any particular voter's favorite. The one I especially like hasn't gotten any votes yet either (I'm not sure if I'm voting yet since I'm a judge anyway), so, really, don't feel bad. :smile2:

Last edited:

Cran

Da Boss Emeritus
Patron
Just give it time - there are lots more people coming to vote. Right?

Seems like this would have been a perfect place for the three-vote system like the poets do.
Yes, it would have been, but the organisers didn't pursue that option. So we'll get a skewed vote this time around. It's come from that concept of one person/one vote, although it's not actually how people vote in Oz. We vote either individual or pre-set preferences, and that's with a sample size of millions. Maybe next time they'll come on board and we can get a truer reflection of the people's choice.

We want to get the word around, encourage as many members as possible to come in and vote. Our patter masters and influence peddlers are our best chance for that.

Only here. In the real world, it's quite OK, and electoral candidates do it all the time. Here, it's seen as selfish.

Users who are viewing this thread