Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Favorite Cult Classics (1 Viewer)

strangedaze

You decide what 'cult classic' means, and give us some of your favorite titles. Here are ten of mine (in no particular order):

1. Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
2. Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
3. Naked Lunch by William Burroughs
4. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by HST
5. American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis
6. Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
7. Lolita by Nabokov
8. 1984 by George Orwell
9. Crash by JG Ballard
10. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

Some other titles that stuck out for me:

Nine Stories and Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger, Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk, 120 Days of Sodom by de Sade, Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski, Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby, and so on. A lot of these I haven't read yet, so I can't say for sure.

RachelEvil

The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea
Schrodinger's Cat and Cosmic Trigger by Robert Anton Wilson
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues and Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins
Slaughterhouse V by Kurt Vonnegut
VALIS, The Divine Invasion, and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer by Philip K. Dick
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
Gender Outlaw by Kate Bornstein
Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Baigent, Lincoln, and Leigh
The Invisibles by Grant Morrison, et al.
Howard the Duck by Steve Gerber, et al.
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, At the Mountains of Madness, The Call of Cthulhu, The Dunwich Horror, The Haunter in Darkness, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, Dream-Quest of Unknown Kaddath, and many other stories by H.P. Lovecraft.

strangedaze

Yes, how fnord could I forget fnord about the Illuminatus! Trilogy. fnord. Your Tom Wolfe book has been on my wishlist on amazon.ca for a long time. Gender Outlaw sounds kinky. Read Slaughterhouse V. So it goes.

Some other books:

Satan Burger by Carlton Mellick 3
Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr
Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar
Dune by Frank Herbert
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

strangedaze

a trio of relatively unknowns (at least here in Canada) that I'd like to up. the first, Laura Hird, is a Scottish author who I'm tempted to compare to Irvine Welsh. She's written a collection of short stories called 'Nail' and a novel that was nominated for some sort of lit award. her website is http://www.laurahird.com

the second is a foul-mouthed small press star named (pen, I'm sure) Delphine Lecompte. her stuff lacks conventional punctuation, caps, paragraph breaks and other happy things we take for granted, but everything she writes is lewd, rude, and strangely tender. cop her debut novel from Thieves Jargon Press (incidentally, another poem of mine will be appearing in their ezine in the future) - http://www.thievesjargon.com/press

rockin'. last, I'd like to up a writer whose work still appears everywhere on the web and in print, mostly in small press journals on the fringe. Willie Smith's novel, Oedipus Cadet, is available at amazon here:

his bio says he's almost dead, so read him while he's still alive.