Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Favorite Book (1 Viewer)

citygirl

I read, Forever Amber, many years ago, can't remember the author, but it was an excellent story in the late 1600's. I liked the name Amber, and so the charater in my story is Amber. Besides that I am not sure, as I have read many good books since then. I find Fiction, some Non-Fiction and the Bible very interesting. I guess I like variety cg ;)

Matt3483

So, what's your all-time favorite ficiton novel / non-fiction book?

Fiction - War And Peace, Leo Tolstoy
Non-Ficiton- Bible, GOD

Hahaha. Surely you don't actually believe 'God' wrote the Bible. Or do you?

Even Christians believe that it was written by twelve guys who followed another guy around. Maybe it was a typo, but that was just too funny to ignore.

Rathma

I read John Mardens Tomorrow Series - my favourite.

I also like Tobruk, the Bible and 800 Lighthorse men

ieuan

Reviling the Almight

:mad::mad:Christians normally will say about the Bible that it is the best ever literature ever written. Written by dozens of different authors spanning six or more thousand years. That to compare with a similar piece of work one would need to combine Milton, Blake and Shakespeare all in one, and yet it is better than those by far in style, pathos, poetry and content. It is written by different people from different nations, Moses was Egyption, Job was not a Jew, inpsired by the WORD of God. Jesus is the WORD of God.

The Holy Bible is acknowledged as the most holy of books by Christians, Jews, Moslems, Hindus and Buddists, in all possibly a thousand million people or if you like a billion people. They come from all the nations of the globe, of all classes and intellect, of low and the highest education, encompassing labourers to professors and some genuis'. And that would include people much brighter than our own Ox.

So why you Matt3483 seek to mock the Almighty is a puzzle to me. The Bible say you have eyes but cannot see, have ears but cannot hear, have a tongue but it mouths violence and vile things; and yet you have been made by God, yet rivile Him. You would rather believe that you have evolved from slime yet take offence if we remind you of your origin. You cannot comprehend the glory of the Almighty because you are a child of perdition, spawned by Satan. You are your father's son.

I hope one day you will turn for the sake of your own soul.

Don't accuse me of preaching, you brought it up and in doing so bring condemnation on your own head.

regards

Ieuan

Rathma

Matt3483,

12 guys didn't write the Bible! Four wrote the first four books in the New Testament, then a few more wrote more. Majority of the New Testament was written by one bloke named Paul/Saul. The Old Testament was written by more guys that I'll ever know.

God didn't really write them, He said what he wanted to be written down, then his writier will write it down (or something close to that).

D

Dr. Malone

Some of the stuff in the bible is timeless. I certainly wouldn't compare it to real authors as far as style goes though. It's mostly just little parables and shit passed down by mouth that some cult members wrote down, or exaggerated variations of old incidents (like Noah's flood).

My favorite (adult) books are probably a tie of Confederacy of Dunces and American Psycho.

ieuan

Malone, it not just me saying that the Bible is a literery masterpiece, it is countless literary masters.

Read some of the books, Malone; the literature is rich and outstanding as narrative. Try the book of Job, nothing has ever been written like the book of Job, or try the Book of Revelation, or the story of Ruth the Moabite woman, some of the statements made by Ruth have been copied by statesmen for thousands of years.

Remeber Harry Hopkins and Winston Churchill in the dark days of 1942?

'They people will be my people and thy God my God, witherest thou goest I will go...'

regards

ieuan

Last edited:
D

delilah_sighs

my favorite work of fiction is(in no particular order): An American Tragedy by theordore dreisder; a prayer for owen meany by john irving
non-fiction: none in paticular

Matt3483

:mad::mad:Christians normally will say about the Bible that it is the best ever literature ever written. Written by dozens of different authors spanning six or more thousand years. That to compare with a similar piece of work one would need to combine Milton, Blake and Shakespeare all in one, and yet it is better than those by far in style, pathos, poetry and content. It is written by different people from different nations, Moses was Egyption, Job was not a Jew, inpsired by the WORD of God. Jesus is the WORD of God.

The Holy Bible is acknowledged as the most holy of books by Christians, Jews, Moslems, Hindus and Buddists, in all possibly a thousand million people or if you like a billion people. They come from all the nations of the globe, of all classes and intellect, of low and the highest education, encompassing labourers to professors and some genuis'. And that would include people much brighter than our own Ox.

So why you Matt3483 seek to mock the Almighty is a puzzle to me. The Bible say you have eyes but cannot see, have ears but cannot hear, have a tongue but it mouths violence and vile things; and yet you have been made by God, yet rivile Him. You would rather believe that you have evolved from slime yet take offence if we remind you of your origin. You cannot comprehend the glory of the Almighty because you are a child of perdition, spawned by Satan. You are your father's son.

I hope one day you will turn for the sake of your own soul.

Don't accuse me of preaching, you brought it up and in doing so bring condemnation on your own head.

regards

Ieuan

This just makes me pity you, Ieuan.

I was simply pointing out that 'God' himself did not sit down at his big wooden desk with a pen and paper and write the Bible. Or am I mistaken?

P.S. - What does this have to do with Ox?

D

Dr. Malone

ieaun I didn't mean to imply you were alone in holding the bible in such high regard, nor that is was poorly written. It's just that from what I remember of reading it, it was very jumbled, pieced together, and often boring. I just didn't feel it was worth of Dickens or others with more prestige. I reread some of it today, mostly what you suggested, and you're right, it's pretty good stuff at times.

To call it non-fiction, though, is bullshit by any definition.

JosephB

To Kill a Mocking Bird. Read it as kid, and still revisit it from time to time.

"Non-fiction (sort of), In Cold Blood, hands down.

ieuan

The Bible is the most popular book ever, it is non-fiction it's about real people in nreal time over the eons. To get a charter to prinmt a Bible is like getting a charter to print money, it's a goldmine. Guarranteed to sell. There have been billions of Bibles printed and billions of homes have one, can you say that about any other book? I think not.

D

Dr. Malone

So you think Adam and Eve were real...and that they lived in a magical garden. And I don't mean the theoretical "first man and woman," I mean specifically Adam and Eve as the bible portrays them.

Kion

Couldn't help but find it funny that a "Whats your favorite book" thread has turned into a reglious debate about the bible, lol.
Anyway
Fiction/ Mort-Terry Pratchett
Non-fiction/ Silver sword-(insert author name)
Can't remember who wrote it, read it years and years and years ago.
Sorry for interupting the Bible debate, please continue.

ieuan

Malone, I will ask you one question as you seem incredulouse that anyone left alive actually takes the Bible as factual. If the Bible is Holy and if it is God's WORD, as I believe it is, why would I doubt the veracity of the Almighty?

I hope that answers you Malone. I am equally incredulous that people believe we evolved from bacteria that exist in comets from outer space; that these microscopic bateria somehow evolve in to dinasaurs and then human beings as beautiful and compex as we are by random chance. I would rather believe in God Almighty.

regards

Ieuan

Just Me

Malone, I will ask you one question as you seem incredulouse that anyone left alive actually takes the Bible as factual. If the Bible is Holy and if it is God's WORD, as I believe it is, why would I doubt the veracity of the Almighty?
Actually, you're fool to think that everything in the bible happened exactly as it is written. There are millions of respected commentaries that say that specific stories in the bible are not meant to be taken literally because there was no other answer as to how or why it was possible - and I don't mean that some preacher in the bible belt said it, I mean respected commentaries like Maimonides, Rashi, Nahmanides, etc.

And the simpler answer to your question lies directly within the question:
"If the Bible is Holy and if it is God's WORD, as I believe it is"
You believe that it is holy, that it is god's word, that doesn't mean that everyone believes that. It's an opinion that's being stated as fact.