Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Favorite Book EVER? (1 Viewer)

Garden of Kadesh

What is the best book you've ever read?

Mine would have to be Lord of The Flies. Some people say it's somewhat dry, but I've never noticed. It has such a strong message for a short book.

Tundra Belle

In all the years of my reading, there has been only one book that made me laugh, cry, love, cheer, rage, and shed bitter tears when it ended.

The character: Ayla. The book: Clan of the Cave Bear, by Jean Auel.

To this day, just thinking about the beauty of that novel gives me goosebumps. If only I could aspire to such writing.

D

DarkDevotion

Oh man...um...I'm torn...but my top two are Dark Magic by Christine Feehan and Threads of Malice by Tamara Siler Jones. I love them both. Anything by them is amazing.

T

The dead poet

I would have to say "Darren Shan" I have been reading him for about 3 years and JRR Tolkien. Lord Of The Rings, you cant beat a trilogy like that.

Mike C

WF Veterans
Jolly McJollyson said:
I checked which one I could throw the farthest. It was a tie.

Throwing books? I normally reserve that practice for LOTR. Doesn't travel as far, but the boxed set can do a lot of damage. It's about all it's good for.

Jolly McJollyson

Mike C said:
Throwing books? I normally reserve that practice for LOTR. Doesn't travel as far, but the boxed set can do a lot of damage. It's about all it's good for.
Wow.

That is so unfair.

It's good for flat-out bludgeoning as well.

dwellerofthedeep

I'm with Mike, I couldn't compare a lot of my favorite books to each other. Also, as far as books as weapons go, I find your average RPG book will usually get the job done. If it doesn't you need a hardcover Moby Dick.

mswietek

I would have to say Christopher Logue's, War Music which is a series of poems retelling the Illiad with modern language. Anyone who thinks poetry can only be about light and airy-fairy things should check out the bloodbath that is "All Day Permanent Red".

Michael

The Once and Future King. I thought it was very interesting and I couldn't put it down. Of course, I finally got A Tale of Two Cities and Les Miserables, so we'll ahve to see how this works out.

J

jeune-romantique

My favourite book has to be 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey N.
Great idea, well written and the first book that made me cry.

S

saintoflight

Shakespeare is a very intriguing man. I really, truly enjoyed 'Future Eden' and 'Space the Final Frontier' (in that order) by Colin Thompson. Never underestimate a chicken. As a kid I enjoyed them and I don't mind them that much now either.

R

romanesco

Not fiction, but it would have to be The Way of Zen by Alan Watts. It tied my brain in knots.