Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Fav. author(s)? (1 Viewer)

D

dancer_37

What are your favorite authors? What kind of books do you like?

Here are my top 3:

1. Kathryn Reiss
2. Caroline B. Cooney
3. Scott Westerfield

I love books about time travel!!

Now tell me about your taste.

T

tiffie

I definitely love Tolkien. He's brilliant.

Other authors I like? Well, Koonts is pretty good.

Wells I love.

Poe is great for short stories and poetry.

Also, I enjoy Terry Goodkind.

S

skatingaway

Alice Munro is my favourite author, her short stories are amazing. But her last collection of them were the last ones she's going to publish, which is rather sad.

ruksak

In my response I am reminded of a short poem about St.Petersburg:
I was born in Petrograd
I graduated in Leningrad
I retired in St.Petersburg.

Books, and particularly favourite authors, are like that.

20 years ago - Tolkien
15 years ago - Orwell, Steinbeck
10 years ago - Kerouac, Bukowski
5 years ago - Henry Miller, Dostoyevsky
Now - Paul Auster, Haruki Murakami
Next - ???, ???

Last edited:

Danzo

Some of my favorites are Cornelia Funke, J.K. Rowling, Christopher Paolini, Mario Puzo, and Richard Bach.

strangedaze

skatingaway said:
Alice Munro is my favourite author, her short stories are amazing. But her last collection of them were the last ones she's going to publish, which is rather sad.

my creative writing prof is homies with alice munro. apparently hes got in his possession a short story she wrote that her publisher deemed to racy for The View From Castle Rock. ive been trying to sucker it out of him for awhile now.

as for me, faves include mordecai richler, hunter s thompson, salman rushdie, bret easton ellis, kafka, and jd salinger (tho not catcher).

strangedaze

skatingaway said:

my creative writing prof is homies with alice munro. apparently hes got in his possession a short story she wrote that her publisher deemed to racy for The View From Castle Rock. ive been trying to sucker it out of him for awhile now.

as for me, faves include mordecai richler, hunter s thompson, salman rushdie, bret easton ellis, kafka, and jd salinger (tho not catcher).

strangedaze

skatingaway said:

Winged Sandals

Robyn McKinley, Robert Louis Stevenson, and J.K. Rowling have been my favorites for a long time. I also think Steinbeck has a lot of talent as a writer, although I haven't liked his stories too much yet. Dickenson might be added to my all-time favorite list, also. I'm reading Tale of Two Cities now and I'm blown away.

Steven Gould- Jumper, Reflex, Wildside
Neil Gaiman- Anansi Boys, Smoke and Mirrors
J.K. Rowling- Harry Potter Series, although Book 3 is the only one with an unpredictable plot. I like her work, but it's not all it's cracked up to be.

strangedaze

Winged Sandals said:
Robyn McKinley, Robert Louis Stevenson, and J.K. Rowling have been my favorites for a long time. I also think Steinbeck has a lot of talent as a writer, although I haven't liked his stories too much yet. Dickenson might be added to my all-time favorite list, also. I'm reading Tale of Two Cities now and I'm blown away.

er, thats DICKENS, i assume?

Poe Clock

Vladimir Nabokov is my all-time favourite, hands down. I absolutely love his work, especially An Invitation to a Beheading and Lolita. Neil Gaiman and Egdar Allan Poe are definately on my list, they're both brilliant. <3

swimfanatic

dancer_37 mentioned Scott Westerfeld. I think he's pretty good. I also like Christopher Paolini and J.K. Rowling a lot. Tolkien's pretty good. C.S. Lewis was one of my favorites when I was younger. Anthony Horowitz's Alex Rider series was pretty good. Recently, I've been reading a lot of Sarah Dessen's books. Those are really good. At the moment, I'd have to say she's my all-time favorite author. But you never know when I'll find another author that dazzles me even more. My favorite author is constantly changing.

Vanest

I guess it depends on the genre. In magic realism, Alejo Carpentier and García Márquez. In contemporary Latin American literature, Mario Vargas Llosa. In poetry, Alfonsina Storni. In 'feminine' literature (although I don't like the idea that any woman wirter should immediately be thrown into this category), María Luisa Bombal. In Canadian literaure, Alice Munro. In American Literature, Jack Kerouac. And children's literature is where my list is longest: L.M. Montgomery, Laura Ingalls, J.K. Rowling, A.A. Milne, Roald Dahl, Kenneth Grahame, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien (although I guess some of his things aren't exactly for children...), and Frank Asch.

Thats a very long list... I hope I haven't bored you:smile: