Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Fascination with People (2 Viewers)

Taylor

Staff member
Board Moderator
How so? I am still kicking around some ideas in my head. But I would definitely be open to hearing some of yours!

Well, I'm not a distopian writer. But I think exploring the whole political issue would be intersting. For example you could explore what would actually cause the virus to begin with. Was it man tampering with nature? Or perhaps someone in the lab was a disgruntled employee, and spread it on their way out. And how long will it last? What will be the global outcome? I think for a dystopian writer, it would be like being a kid in a candy store.

Easy-Eight

Well, I'm not a distopian writer. But I think exploring the whole political issue would be intersting. For example you could explore what would actually cause the virus to begin with. Was it man tampering with nature? Or perhaps someone in the lab was a disgruntled employee, and spread it on their way out. And how long will it last? What will be the global outcome? I think for a dystopian writer, it would be like being a kid in a candy store.

That would be something cool to experiment with. I am currently working on something more political in nature, It's a really rough, rough draft. I'll post it if you can point me in the direction to where I could post it.

I write more, really dark in nature stories. I like the grit, the thought and stuff like that. I like to write using the mindset of human nature, if that makes any sense .

Taylor

Staff member
Board Moderator
That would be something cool to experiment with. I am currently working on something more political in nature, It's a really rough, rough draft. I'll post it if you can point me in the direction to where I could post it.

I write more, really dark in nature stories. I like the grit, the thought and stuff like that. I like to write using the mindset of human nature, if that makes any sense .

Here:

https://www.writingforums.com/forums/11-Fiction-Workshop

https://www.writingforums.com/forums/26-Fiction-Showcase

Taylor

Staff member
Board Moderator
I think it impossible to write good stories about people without having watched and interacted with a lot of people.

People watching is one of my favorite past times. Interesting that you must interact as well. Do you know if you are an introvert or extrovert?

ideasmith

Taylor;[URL="tel:2333565" said:
2333565[/URL]]People watching is one of my favorite past times. Interesting that you must interact as well. Do you know if you are an introvert or extrovert?

I’m not entirely introverted, but I’m closer to that end of things than to extroversion. However, I’ve always been a careful people watcher. I feel - from personal experience - that interaction is equally important to understanding people. Each will show things that the other cannot, including whether a person is hiding something about themself. Not necessarily something nefarious..an insecurity perhaps, which they may try to conceal as best they can out of a sense self-protection. You might be able to observe it, but how much better to also interact with that person?

You could watch movies of people riding horses and see things you couldn’t from the saddle..but...to ride the horse yourself....

Taylor

Staff member
Board Moderator
I’m not entirely introverted, but I’m closer to that end of things than to extroversion. However, I’ve always been a careful people watcher. I feel - from personal experience - that interaction is equally important to understanding people. Each will show things that the other cannot, including whether a person is hiding something about themself. Not necessarily something nefarious..an insecurity perhaps, which they may try to conceal as best they can out of a sense self-protection. You might be able to observe it, but how much better to also interact with that person?

You could watch movies of people riding horses and see things you couldn’t from the saddle..but...to ride the horse yourself....

So true! I think we all try to hide things about ourselves. I know I do. And then sometimes it rears its ugly head!

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
People often wear masks.

I've been told that I seem extroverted when I teach, but in truth that's not the way I am at all. I've given martial art demonstrations (and competed) in front of hundreds of people; I'm nervous and uncertain until I step out on the stage, then the mask is donned and I'm off to the races.

So, what we see may not be who they are.

druid12000

People often wear masks.

I've been told that I seem extroverted when I teach, but in truth that's not the way I am at all. I've given martial art demonstrations (and competed) in front of hundreds of people; I'm nervous and uncertain until I step out on the stage, then the mask is donned and I'm off to the races.

This reminds me of the Billy Joel song 'The Stranger'

Well we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out
And show ourselves
When everyone has gone
Some are satin some are steel
Some are silk and some are leather
They're the faces of the stranger
But we love to try them on

Taylor

Staff member
Board Moderator
People often wear masks.

I had a similar experience when I taught business at a university for eight years. People thought I was an extrovert as well. After my day job, I'd put on my show face and give two hour evening lectures. You must be more of an extrovert, because for me, it was always painful. Not sure why I kept doing it...I thought it would get better. I don't even think I realized how much I hated it, until one semester my sessions were cancelled, due to a change in program. I remember the program director calling me to say how sorry she was and that she would double up my session next semester. After I hung up the phone, I was dancing around the kitchen and then I realized -- I didn't need to do it anymore.

Sometimes people act at something because they think they should.

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
I believe that writers are often solitary creatures. We communicate through a third party - our books and stories - because that is the medium where we are most comfortable.

Maybe I'm wrong - I don't want to contribute to thread drift, so this is just a thought. Let's get back on topic.

Writers have to be interested in other people, their lives, their beliefs, what drives them to be as they are, because without that, how could we possibly construct believable characters in our work?

Taylor

Staff member
Board Moderator
I believe that writers are often solitary creatures. We communicate through a third party - our books and stories - because that is the medium where we are most comfortable.

Maybe I'm wrong - I don't want to contribute to thread drift, so this is just a thought. Let's get back on topic.

Writers have to be interested in other people, their lives, their beliefs, what drives them to be as they are, because without that, how could we possibly construct believable characters in our work?

I agree and I think introverts tend to be more aware of other people. They sit back quietly watching the world go by. Not focused on themselves...but focused on others. I know I can go to a party and just sit in the corner observing. But how boring would that be if we were all introverts. Thank goodness for extroverts! Thank goodness for all the uniqueness of human beings!

druid12000

I agree and I think introverts tend to be more aware of other people. They sit back quietly watching the world go by. Not focused on themselves...but focused on others. I know I can go to a party and just sit in the corner observing. But how boring would that be if we were all introverts. Thank goodness for extroverts! Thank goodness for all the uniqueness of human beings!

Agreed, and I think empathy is a crucial component as well. I find myself lingering on people and my own characters, to try to be in their shoes.

TheMightyAz

I don't see why you'd even want to write if you didn't have a fascination with people. In the same way, I don't understand why you'd want to write if you aren't already filled with stories to tell.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I don't see why you'd even want to write if you didn't have a fascination with people. In the same way, I don't understand why you'd want to write if you aren't already filled with stories to tell.

It's not all just stories you know. Some people write sermons, laws, instruction manuals, guide books, seed catalogues, advertising slogans and more, and nary a story among them :)

Users who are viewing this thread