Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Fancy Scene Separators (1 Viewer)


Staff member
This is a formatting "Tip" rather than a writing tip, but you may find it useful. This works in Microsoft Word, and I use it after I've completed a project.

I got tired of publishing "* * *" as scene separators, so I did some investigating and learned how to replace it with something more interesting.

1. Find any graphic you'd prefer to use, and place it in a convenient folder.
2. Highlight any scene separator in your document, and use Insert-->Pictures to bring your graphic into the document.
3. Select your graphic, and copy it to the clipboard
4. Use [control]-H to open the Find and Replace dialogue
5. In the Find box, type your text scene separator (such as * * * )
6. Click in the Replace box, then click "Special" at the bottom of the dialogue box, and select "Clipboard Contents"
7. Click "Format" at the bottom of the dialogue box, then Paragraph, then drop down Alignment and select "Centered"
8. Now just click "Replace all", and you have your snazzy scene separator graphic applied throughout the document.
Last edited:
Very cool, vranger! Thank you for sharing. I love mixing up scene separators in my own documents.

For those looking for just the right graphic for this, you can use the word "flourish" as part of your keyword search when looking for images online. That's what those pretty, squiggly, twirly things are called. Commonly found in books of some genres.

Plus, Word has some snazzy flourish symbols built in through the Insert Symbol>Webdings / Wingdings feature.