Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Facebook account deleted (1 Viewer)

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
I've finally gone and deleted my Facebook account. I now have to resist logging in for the next 30 days for the deletion to stick.

Why did I do it?

Several reasons really. I've never been fully comfortable with Facebook's data mining techniques, nor have I been comfortable that I've had the occasional old post used against me - usually out of context.
But today, I finally had enough.
I was having a discussion on there with a couple of complete and utter bloody idiots. I don't have a problem with discussing things with people who hold different opinions from me, really I don't, but they could at least argue about stuff I've written rather than stuff they imagine I've written. I think I write with a reasonable degree of clarity, so I can only assume that some people lack reading comprehension skills.

It's been coming for a while.

When the account has been deleted for a while, I'll sign up for a new account under a new name (I'll probably include my middle initial) and be a lot more selective about where I post.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I don't have a problem with discussing things with people who hold different opinions from me, really I don't, but they could at least argue about stuff I've written rather than stuff they imagine I've written.
That's why I seldom try to discuss much of anything on FB anymore. I've even been frustrated with the people who agree with me sometimes. I don't remember the article that I posted now, it was a while ago, but it was excellently written and in-depth.

Nobody read it. I got several knee-jerk formulaic talking-point responses when the article had been posted for about two minutes. What's the point if nobody is going to read and think and actually discuss?

So I haven't been back much. Anytime I've checked FB it doesn't seem to miss me and anymore I don't miss it.

River Rose

I remain on FB.
I am Admin on a large Reiki group. We are from all over the world, so we need a place we can all access easily. FB meets those needs at present.
I also am in BDSM groups. Once again,,,residing in a small town as I do,,,FB meets those needs.

velo

Retired Supervisor
I left FB a couple days after the 2016 election. I realised how toxic it had become for me and I just quit cold turkey. I went back a few months ago with the sole intent of connecting with friends who live in other places. I unfollowed/unfriended any page that was remotely political or even topical. I have filters in my browser that hide fb ads and widgets I don't care about. Within those boundaries I'm able to use FB for what I want and not let the toxicity in. I literally have friends all over the world and I'm enjoying seeing them again even if it's virtually.

River Rose

I left FB a couple days after the 2016 election. I realised how toxic it had become for me and I just quit cold turkey. I went back a few months ago with the sole intent of connecting with friends who live in other places. I unfollowed/unfriended any page that was remotely political or even topical. I have filters in my browser that hide fb ads and widgets I don't care about. Within those boundaries I'm able to use FB for what I want and not let the toxicity in. I literally have friends all over the world and I'm enjoying seeing them again even if it's virtually.

Yes. One can control their FB page as to what filters in. We can b on social media and remain in control. I too have friends all over the world and the easiest place to connect is FB. I have many blocks/filters set in place as I like control at all times.

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
When I eventually re-engage with Facebook under my amended name, I'm determined it will be on my terms. I regard the last few years as a trial run fraught with errors. I will be asking for a few tips to help make the experience more positive.

River Rose

When I eventually re-engage with Facebook under my amended name, I'm determined it will be on my terms. I regard the last few years as a trial run fraught with errors. I will be asking for a few tips to help make the experience more positive.

Message me anytime u need help succoring your account. I am an incredibly private person and I am Admin on a Reiki site w over 15,000 members. I do FB on my terms. I have a total of 6 “friends”. I do not accept friend requests. My account, my rules. U can have a safe FB account on your terms.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator

I agree, the political memes have gotten right out of control. I remember seeing one that was so vile, I made some kind of judgemental comment about the purpose of distributing such an image. I was immediately attacked with "in my country we have free speech", etc. After that I never, EVER made any comment on a generic meme...period! Now I only use it for family photos and keeping up with relatives and friends. I also recommend not putting any personal information in. Put a fake birthday, and avoid any photos that show where you live, like views, residences, etc.

druid12000

I joined Facebook to connect with the recovery community, which was very useful initially. In the three years I have been on Facebook, however, I have found it necessary to 'unfollow' several 'friends' . The political climate has been toxic, to say the very least.

Side note: I was amazed that my previous phone had the app pre-loaded and I was unable to uninstall. That didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy, so now I barely use it.

Xander416

I agree, the political memes have gotten right out of control. I remember seeing one that was so vile, I made some kind of judgemental comment about the purpose of distributing such an image. I was immediately attacked with "in my country we have free speech", etc. After that I never, EVER made any comment on a generic meme...period! Now I only use it for family photos and keeping up with relatives and friends. I also recommend not putting any personal information in. Put a fake birthday, and avoid any photos that show where you live, like views, residences, etc.
Yeah, I've completely avoided platforms like FB and Twitter pretty much all my life despite constant prodding by family members and the list of people who have had their lives ruined by doing or saying something they have no reason to think is anything but innocuous has just reinforced that it's been a wise decision. Right off the top of my head, I remember a story a while back about a woman photographed yelling at a "Silence" sign, which by itself is quite a humorous image but the sign was located at Arlington National Cemetery and the resulting reactions went way beyond anything "reasonable" to include threats that she'd be raped and killed over it. It's simply a case of anonymity empowering people to say things they wouldn't say in person because they know they can get away with it, whereas IRL there would be severe consequences to a lot of things people say online.

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
How I make FB work for me (this is not intended as advice, but it's how I made peace with it).

I never use the app. I disabled it on my phone. I can't delete it, but disabled and not able to update, it can't hurt me.

I use the Brave browser, which by default doesn't download most kinds of ads or trackers. FB still has ads, but they're not individualized, so they are totally random. I use it both on my phone and on my computer.

I block people who are chronovores. If you're making an assertion, you get to prove it (or not, and I add you to the list of chronovores).

I limit the personal info in my profile. FB doesn't /need/ my phone number. Or my hometown. People need to know I'm the correct person, though, so I do list my employer.

I am diligent about the people I add to my friends list, and I report fake accounts who try to friend me. I also ask people publicly if it's okay before I message them privately.

I also report stuff that I wouldn't allow on a forum if I was running it. Genuinely harmful stuff like fake news, harassment, etc.

And about individualized ads ... FB tries to target based on stuff you post. So, periodically, I go and clean house and delete all the guesses FB has made about what I want to see. The quickest way to get there is to hide an ad and follow the steps they give you. This info is also in your account profile, but they sometimes move things around, so doing it that way is less reliable.

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
I am on FB and probably will stay on. I keep up with my kiddos, some of whom live several states away. They post pictures and comments that I love to read. I also stay in touch with friends, etc. I make a point never to engage in anything controversial, although I confess last year I was tempted to stomp my feet and post a link to something intolerable that SOMEONE said or did, but I forced myself to resist. :)

druid12000

I am on FB and probably will stay on. I keep up with my kiddos, some of whom live several states away. They post pictures and comments that I love to read. I also stay in touch with friends, etc. I make a point never to engage in anything controversial, although I confess last year I was tempted to stomp my feet and post a link to something intolerable that SOMEONE said or did, but I forced myself to resist. :)

Must...remain...calm...and...resist...urge...to...verbally...bitchslap...:glee:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I stay there, my ex partner in work moved back to Australia and my daughter sometimes posts pictures of my granddaughter, stuff like that, oh and I have a fb page linked to my YouTube channel so I mention when I have another 100 views or post a good video. The friendship requests I accept are personal friends or a few people off the forum here, and it is good to access the village fb page for local stuff from time to time. I suppose it is all uncontroversial or personal stuff, and there really is not all that much of it, so I am just a boring old git and people leave me be. I have always done everything under my own name, just in case some old friend wanted to look me up, they never have, so yeah, I really must be a boring old git who was once a boring young git :)