Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Ethics for writing poetry (1 Viewer)

Darkkin

WF Veterans
Writing from personal experience is a huge part of an author's voice, especially in things like poetry. Bias exists in all people, it is a default in the human condition. Writing helps bring out biases we, as writers maybe unaware we have until it is pointed out. It is part of the learning curve. There is nothing unethical about it. It is a basic reality of existing.

It is ethically wrong to plagiarise, to verbally accost others, and things along those lines. Words that are deliberately used to inflict damage to specific individuals/groups, same story. But to write from one's own perspective is essential to a writer's development. If you have an opinion you have every right to write about it. If the content might be questioned, give readers a heads up with a tag like Trigger Warning or Mature Content. Acknowledge the content to lend a bit of weight to the perspective and opinion.

- D.

ritudimrinautiyal

Writing from personal experience is a huge part of an author's voice, especially in things like poetry. Bias exists in all people, it is a default in the human condition. Writing helps bring out biases we, as writers maybe unaware we have until it is pointed out. It is part of the learning curve. There is nothing unethical about it. It is a basic reality of existing.

It is ethically wrong to plagiarise, to verbally accost other, and things along those lines. But to write from one's own perspective is essential to a writer's development.

Thanks a lot Sir

Highly appreciate your response, I was a bit in dilemma, when was in discussion with a friend.

Thanks again
Ritu

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I find it difficult to think of any writing that is not biased by the readers perspective. Even the writers of scientific texts would admit that what they are presenting is a model, rather than an exact representation of the world, and as such biased by their own experience.

ritudimrinautiyal

I find it difficult to think of any writing that is not biased by the readers perspective. Even the writers of scientific texts would admit that what they are presenting is a model, rather than an exact representation of the world, and as such biased by their own experience.

I agree Sir.
Thanks
Ritu

clark

Met3 Member
Staff member
Chief Mentor
How can one write from a platform other than one's own experience. Perhaps there is some confusion about "experience":

(today I walked two miles of city streets in my bare feet. When I got where I was going, my feet were cut, bruised, filthy, and aching terribly)

OR

(today I spoke with a man who walked two miles of city streets in his bare feet. He ended up suffering a lot of damage and pain, and he spoke with me in great detail about how deeply he was affected by this experience.)

That conversation is as much a part of my experience as is my own walk.

Heisenberg (1924) came up with his simple Uncertainty Principle', which distills down to: in any observation, experiment, quantitative analysis, or description we cannot enumerate the 'component' elements as though they occupied a reality 'out there', objectively separate from us, which we will now 'look at'. No, H contended, the scientist must add as an actual component in the data . . . themselves. Without getting into an arcane discussion about vestigial empiricism in the early 20th C, what H brought home to me is that there is no Objective Reality. Thinkers weld language units to phenomena or puzzles that they want to know about, just so that conversation is possible. Good . . .evil; hot . . . cold; simple . . . complex; reality . . .illusion. None of these great dichotomies exists in a plane free of the human minds that explore them. And a tree that falls in the forest 100 miles from a human ear does NOT make a noise. Faith is the only platform from which one could assert it does.

The imagination that brings forth the experience of love to a person who has never loved is that person's experience of love. And however addle-headed and just plain stupid WE may find their experience of love, they have every right to put it out there . To use it in their creative work.

ritudimrinautiyal

How can one write from a platform other than one's own experience. Perhaps there is some confusion about "experience":

(today I walked two miles of city streets in my bare feet. When I got where I was going, my feet were cut, bruised, filthy, and aching terribly)

OR

(today I spoke with a man who walked two miles of city streets in his bare feet. He ended up suffering a lot of damage and pain, and he spoke with me in great detail about how deeply he was affected by this experience.)

That conversation is as much a part of my experience as is my own walk.

Heisenberg (1924) came up with his simple Uncertainty Principle', which distills down to: in any observation, experiment, quantitative analysis, or description we cannot enumerate the 'component' elements as though they occupied a reality 'out there', objectively separate from us, which we will now 'look at'. No, H contended, the scientist must add as an actual component in the data . . . themselves. Without getting into an arcane discussion about vestigial empiricism in the early 20th C, what H brought home to me is that there is no Objective Reality. Thinkers weld language units to phenomena or puzzles that they want to know about, just so that conversation is possible. Good . . .evil; hot . . . cold; simple . . . complex; reality . . .illusion. None of these great dichotomies exists in a plane free of the human minds that explore them. And a tree that falls in the forest 100 miles from a human ear does NOT make a noise. Faith is the only platform from which one could assert it does.

The imagination that brings forth the experience of love to a person who has never loved is that person's experience of love. And however addle-headed and just plain stupid WE may find their experience of love, they have every right to put it out there . To use it in their creative work.

Wow!!! What an elaborate explanation. True if somebody else shares his/ her experience, it too becomes part of our own experience and then perspective formed out of that is no way different from our own experience of that, because we trust him/her words.
Thanks a lot sir, for telling about this new perspective.

Ritu

Jk_Sl

Is it ethically wrong, to write poetry on your own personal experiences, for the reason, it may have a bias of your only perspective?

Hi ,

Thank you for sharing, I had thought the same at one point. For me it was just not overthinking your content you share.
If it comes from your heart and soul.
And you are perfectly happy with it then all forms of poetry help everyone in some way or other.
It’s therapy and bravery to share your personal unfiltered emotions.

Thank you.

J.

ritudimrinautiyal

Hi ,

Thank you for sharing, I had thought the same at one point. For me it was just not overthinking your content you share.
If it comes from your heart and soul.
And you are perfectly happy with it then all forms of poetry help everyone in some way or other.
It’s therapy and bravery to share your personal unfiltered emotions.

Thank you.

J.

I agree with you Jk_Sl
Thanks
Ritu

Kehlida

Personal experience is the heart of my work and I understand your concern, but you're allowed to feel some sort of way about your exchanges and you're allowed to convey them in this form.

Some of my best work has been about friends who faded out of my life, interests that did not go anywhere, and lost love. Out of respect and for our privacy, I keep it vague enough that they might recognize the undertones, but to anyone else it would just come across as a story. Therefore; it feels appropriate to share without filtering the ideas I am trying to convey.

ritudimrinautiyal

Personal experience is the heart of my work and I understand your concern, but you're allowed to feel some sort of way about your exchanges and you're allowed to convey them in this form.

Some of my best work has been about friends who faded out of my life, interests that did not go anywhere, and lost love. Out of respect and for our privacy, I keep it vague enough that they might recognize the undertones, but to anyone else it would just come across as a story. Therefore; it feels appropriate to share without filtering the ideas I am trying to convey.

I agree with you kehilda
Thanks for sharing your views

Ritu