Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

hikerpoet

Waxing and waning along mortality’s divide,
Hope’s compassionate eloquence, embraced.
Visions, friends, confusion, gathered vigilance.

Ego’s grievances seek reverence. Pain subsides.
Resolve succumbs to frailty, consciousness fades.
Breath falls still. Life relinquished, eternity’s peace.

petergrimes

I like the concept behind your poem and its form. The short, compact nature. The first part is nicely evocative, I like 'visions, friends, confusion' especially. The only part I struggle to understand is, 'Ego's grievances seek reverence.' Resolution or Peace would make sense to me. But I am not a poet. I will have to think on it. but I suppose that is what poetry is intended for. Anyway, thank you, I enjoyed your poem.

Chiefster

A gorey death of one's ego. How an ego kills it's host soul. This one is no happy journey, and a bittersweet end. This seemed like a dispersion of faith. 10.4/10.5 I was even close to giving you that extra .1, if I had rounded up, but it was not a perfect score from me. I do not even know how to improve it, so only take my most positive vibes reaching you through this critique.

SweetCake

Wow, this is an amazing poem! I love this genre of poem. My brother loves playing around with genres, so I'm sure he would enjoy trying to find a name for this one! The short compact nature of this is really nice. I like the descriptive nature of your poem! The story this poem tells is a very good concept.
Thanks for your time.
-SweetC

hikerpoet

petergrimes I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I didn't see a notification for your comment. It's about someone who is dying and all that happens in the last weeks before and as they pass.

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Waxing and waning along mortality’s divide,
Hope’s compassionate eloquence, embraced.
Visions, friends, confusion, gathered vigilance.

Ego’s grievances seek reverence. Pain subsides.
Resolve succumbs to frailty, consciousness fades.
Breath falls still. Life relinquished, eternity’s peace.

Death can be brutal, ugly and well, almost always untimely... but this poem sounds gentle, friends gathered around, waiting... there was time to come to terms with the unfolding event, both for the dying and for the living... that is a gift... yes?
and in the end, the thing we all long for... peace...

Your poetic voice shows gentleness and compassion, reverence ....well done...

petergrimes

Hi, thank you for your reply. Yes, that is how I understood the poem too. And I thought it worked really well. All of it made sense to me, spoke to me, when viewed within that context. It was just that one line I couldn't quite work out. But I really liked it. All the best P