Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Engineer, but writer at heart (1 Viewer)

Jaybird

Hello there,

I am a software engineer for an IT company. The work is pretty hectic, (the pandemic certainly doesn't help haha) but manageable. My real dream is to one day write a novel. I'm a very picky reader, and find it hard to commit to books that are considered popular.

That being said, I like reading epic fantasies. Brandon Sanderson is one of my fav authors. So of course would be J.R.R. Tolkein, always loved LOTR. I'm also into military fiction as well.

I'm a bit into anime as well, so I sometimes read light novels. They are pretty fun to read, albeit a tad easy to digest. But fun nevertheless.

Writing is something I always fall back to, no matter how down I'm feeling from life. It's fun breaking down a story and crafting something with your own creative merits. I'm only a beginner though, so it may not be so great, but I'm looking to improve. And, the best way to do that is to simply read more! I only get in 30 min - 1 hour a day of reading, but I make sure to highlight a lot on my kindle and then later reflect on those highlights when I've finished the book.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum Jay! I had the same dream for many years and am now realizing it. You'll find plenty of great discussions and advice for writing a novel in our writing forums. There are some excellent military reads in our member's bookstore and one of the authors was also a design engineer. You can read about him here.

Last edited:

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I started my career as a software developer, too @Jaybird. I got into writing professionally early, but I also never stopped writing software. Now I've finished seven novels, one novella, and I'm starting two more novels (one a collaboration with one of the owners of this site :)).

The point of this isn't to brag, but just demonstrate that you can get there. I'd like to say all it takes is determination, but sometimes it's a LOT of determination. If you enjoy writing, though, it's a fun ride, and the satisfaction you feel when you write "The End" is a truly unique experience. Welcome to the club!

Jaybird

Welcome to the forum Jay! I had the same dream for many years and am now realizing it. You'll find plenty of great discussions and advice for writing a novel in our writing forums. There are some excellent military reads in our member's bookstore and one of the authors was also a design engineer. You can read about him here.

Thank you! I'll check this out!

Jaybird

I started my career as a software developer, too @Jaybird. I got into writing professionally early, but I also never stopped writing software. Now I've finished seven novels, one novella, and I'm starting two more novels (one a collaboration with one of the owners of this site :)).

The point of this isn't to brag, but just demonstrate that you can get there. I'd like to say all it takes is determination, but sometimes it's a LOT of determination. If you enjoy writing, though, it's a fun ride, and the satisfaction you feel when you write "The End" is a truly unique experience. Welcome to the club!

Wow, you're very accomplished! No worries, you aren't bragging -- that's incredible! Your experience makes me feel relieved. I hope to go along that pathway, eventually. Thanks for sharing that!

Davi Mai

Hi Jay,

I can relate to a lot of that. I'm in tech support (Pathology), but would love to give that up and just write. I also find it hard to commit to reading, due to a short concentration span, and I get a headache after about half an hour. Its very annoying. My main difference with your situation is I prefer Sci-Fi to Fantasy :) But apart from that, the rest of it rang very true to me.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Hi Jay - a fellow recovering (retired actually) engineer here. I worked in Silicon Valley for 30 plus years - started with GTE designing communication gear, then Memorex mainframe disk drives, then personal computers for Olivetti, and finally (my longest stint) at Cisco Systems creating switches and routers.

There's a ton of cross talk between engineering and writing - or any creative process. I'm sure you'll do well.

Jaybird

Hi Jay,

I can relate to a lot of that. I'm in tech support (Pathology), but would love to give that up and just write. I also find it hard to commit to reading, due to a short concentration span, and I get a headache after about half an hour. Its very annoying. My main difference with your situation is I prefer Sci-Fi to Fantasy :) But apart from that, the rest of it rang very true to me.
Reading for me used to be so natural, I find that if I have nothing else on my mind and no one (family) doesn't bother me for 30-50 minutes straight, I can get some reading done. But even then, I'm very slow haha. Sci-Fi can be fun to read, I'm really open to any genre as long as the story appeals to me. I'm def fine with reading romance, if it's well-written for me

Jaybird

Hi Jay - a fellow recovering (retired actually) engineer here. I worked in Silicon Valley for 30 plus years - started with GTE designing communication gear, then Memorex mainframe disk drives, then personal computers for Olivetti, and finally (my longest stint) at Cisco Systems creating switches and routers.

There's a ton of cross talk between engineering and writing - or any creative process. I'm sure you'll do well.

Wow! That's quite a career! I had an interview at Cisco before landing my job, I said earlier I was a software engineer but in reality it's more consulting. — still pretty nice since I don't have to go anywhere and just work from home. More time to write haha. Thank you! I like how there are people here who have a similar background to me, makes it easier to relate — but relatability isn't something I care too much about, I'm here mostly to improve my writing and hear from other people.

noisebloom

Hey there - welcome to the forum!

Software Engineer here too. :) I always knew I wanted to be a writer someday. I think my classmates and colleagues were bewildered that I not only loved to code, I couldn't get enough of writing emails, papers, documentation, etc. A few years ago, I realized that it was time I share my writing with the world.

Just got done working with an editor on a graphic novel I'm querying, and I'm very close to finishing the first draft of a sci-fi novel I plan on publishing, as well.

Hope to see you around here!

- noise