Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Emma by Jane Austen (1 Viewer)

A

Avril_rocks07

I was wondering if anyone read Emma by Jane Austen. I wasn't sure if I should read it. The plot seems interesting, but I wasn't sure if it was a good book to spend my time on. So what is your opinion about it? Does it have a good plotline? It sounds lame for me to be asking such things. But I'm really curious to see how this novel became a classic.

Charlie_Eleanor

Emma was good, but Pride & Prejudice is better. I love Jane Austin (I know many people don't) but none of her books are a waist of time in my opinion. They are fun, and provide brain candy (things to imagine about/inspire/daydream about) for days. Perhaps not life changing information, but definantly fun.

Mike C

WF Veterans
Avril_rocks07 said:
But I'm really curious to see how this novel became a classic.

You'll really look a lot less stupid if you read the book before asking questions that open you to ridicule.

Shawn

WF Veterans
You're so kind, Mike.

Emma was good... go for it, there's a lot of life out there and not a lot of time for indecision.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Have you come across Fay Weldon, she wrote a book called "Letters to Emma" I think it is, which takes the form of a series of letters to her niece who can't understand why Jane Austen has any relevance. It started me reading her and I spent a whole summer going through them one by one, she has a wicked sense of humour and I now know where Mrs Norris, Filch the caretakers cat from Harry Potter, got her name, most appropriate it is too.
Sorry, I just looked it up, the Fay Weldon is called "Letters to Alice: on first reading Jane Austen"

Last edited: