Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Duotrope? (1 Viewer)

roadscribe

Friends of WF
So I just purchased a membership with Duotrope on a friend's suggestion (submitting short stories to publications) but then someone else mentioned it's unnecessary because most of these literary publishers use the same system called "submittable" and I should just use that system.

What say you? Ditch Duotrope? Any recommendations on tracking submissions, or how you manage your submissions is welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
I use the free Submission Grinder. Duotrope is good too.
Submittable is more a submission client used by magazines and publishers, you can keep track in it of submissions you did using that system.
So it's not either/or but and/and.

See Duotrope and Submission Grinder more as a way for magazines to advertise they are there and to show you what kind of submissions they expect from you.

Chris Miller

WF Veterans
I like the Grinder, too, which is free. Its subsidiary, Diabolical Plots, is an SFWA qualifying publisher. As to Submittable, I'll use it, but don't like it for some reason. I don't think I've ever placed anything through it. I've never really tracked my submissions, except through gmail.