Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

dumb question times infinity (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunox

I got to get some writing done. the thing is I am going through a lot with my dad dying which is causing me to sleep a lot. I was thinking that I need to do more writing... any ideas on if I should just let myself sleep this out or start writing now. also I wanted to discuss a dream that is begging to become a spiderman-esq fanfiction. I was wondering how accurate would I have to be to write fanfiction... I was wondering because despite only being a Spiderman fan in passing.. this dra is kind of begging to be a story...

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I'm really sorry for your loss, kunox. Sleepinig a lot would make sense. If you're thinking of writing, though, that sounds like a really good idea. I'd vote to do some of each: sleeping and writing.

Write what you want. Just be aware that further down the line if you're putting the fanfic out there and it's not accurate to the spiderverse someone will most likely say something.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Sorry about your loss. My dad has some problems as well. His heart operation he had is becoming useless or "obsolete" because of obesity. The artery walls could close if he doesn't lose weight. He had that over ten years ago. So now I'm in my house we are all eating better than before. Basically, one cup rice, 1 cup beans, and 2\3 parts of the plate is salad. That 1 cup extends itself to fruits. I also sleep a lot. I have to take chamomile tea, magnesium to sleep, and all the medication for my condition which makes me sleepy.

If you talk with your doctor, I hope he is made aware of your dad's situation since that could depress you. Ask him if you need to modify your medicine. You could lose your recovery to reverse the depression. If someone close to me dies I am supposed to tell my doctor.

To sleep or write a Spider-Man fanfic? I would do both. I wasn't getting enough sleep. I vote to sleep and to work on it during the day. Magnesium supposedly is very effective for sleeping. Work slowly on the fan fiction. With dyslexia, I need to let a story sit for days until I notice the errors and mistakes.

I eventually will take a sentence structure course. The link I sent you has some courses. However, I don't know if they can provide accommodations for dyslexia or dysgraphia. I plan to prep myself before I sign up. I used a curriculum to search for a book that talks about description and narration which I need help in. Using the standards and objectives I will buy 2 books used by some creative writing programs that teach description and narration in schools. (Experience and events are a curriculum standard in creative writing classes in schools in the United States)

If I could write spontaneously when dictating I would.

Anyways good luck and I would have someone watch over your progress. Depression should be observed by someone and I hope you are in good company at home.

Last edited:

kunox

I will ne buying some more of your books moth after next... ty for the suggestios... I got something to buy next month because I may be going to dragoncon... agai8n....

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I think the website is the best solution if you can somehow overcome the disability. I know I recommended a website ( the link for a creative writing university). Don't buy more books unless you feel you need that spelling book. People who have dyslexia and dysgraphia need spell checkers even in college classes. It's not considered cheating. In fact, I need to use a spellchecker. Maybe even if we learned how to spell you would probably and most likely need a good program. For now I will tell you about my experiences when I sign up to village ( most likely the next month). I want to know if I can dictate a document using the books I order ( that cover narration and description). The cheapest spell checker I know off is Microsoft editor ( It checks your punctuation). It costs 7 dollars for one computer. I think we learn better by receiving one on one instruction by teachers.

Don't forget you need a good voice that sounds human because you need to work independently to fix your work. I use word q and speech q.

To Foxee: do you know if that writing online university you recommended to pip is friendly for dsylexia and dsygraphia? It's in the grammar thread and you posted it on reply to pip. Then dolphinlee posted a link on a grammar book. The online website is called the writer's village university.

Can you take the creative writing classes without submitting work or do they give you a lot of time?

Last edited:

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I don't know if they will let me use docsplus on a free trial (the software company). However, it costs 21 dollars a month, and it has a lot of options for people who have dyslexia or dysgraphia. I sent it out, (a filled form with my information) but I don't know if the region I am in is supported. If you pay 21 dollars a month by the end of the year you will have completed the payment plan (it is a 3 year license, so that would be 2 years). It's a rental service. The only reason I am considering it is while I like word q and speech q is that I want something a tad bit better. Let me know if you are interested, and I can post a link, so you can see what I am talking about. That is the program is supposedly for people with special disabilities and that have a secondary level of education or higher. It uses a good voice for text to speech. The only thing I think it does not have is dictation.

Last edited:

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Edit I tried docsplus and it is worse that word q speech q. I will try a web application that allows me to dictate my work. It isn't easy as a decision. That is about 13-14 dollars a month. I think the only answer to solving this problem will be a microphone and a dictation app. Dragon costs 400. I recommend the microphone I use that costs 335. I think it can be bought for 150 on Amazon. Then subscribe to the web service. Then you can practice until you perfect the English and the structure of the paragraphs. Word q speech q isn't good enough for dictation it seems. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. You only need to invest in this one time. Preferably if they give you a warranty 1-2 years then I'd pick that microphone and buy it if it meets those conditions. I will use that service 5 days from now so I can't recommend it until I dictate a story. I think I can't write a grammatically correct sentence because of some sort of invisible disability. If you want more information just let me know by posting here. (sometimes I think the parsing of a sentence can be better than I intended which is why I think dictation might be the only solution available).

Last edited:

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I got to get some writing done. the thing is I am going through a lot with my dad dying which is causing me to sleep a lot. I was thinking that I need to do more writing... any ideas on if I should just let myself sleep this out or start writing now. also I wanted to discuss a dream that is begging to become a spiderman-esq fanfiction. I was wondering how accurate would I have to be to write fanfiction... I was wondering because despite only being a Spiderman fan in passing.. this dra is kind of begging to be a story...
I often process things by writing them out. For you it could be something for your journal, or perhaps a story about your father's life and his impact on you. What you write never has to see the light of day - it's for you.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
It seems as if I was wrong about the program I was using. You need to train the program like dragon naturally speaking software's program, and it works. I did this twice recently. I would search for a good microphone to use it with if you can afford it one day.

Right now, I am too distracted by so many noises at home. A certain person talks too much as he is boisterous.

Word prediction software which is included helps you spell out what you are writing. Supposedly it is a good feature of a good program.

I might be right. You need to sleep. I would wait until you recover and only work during the morning for the Spider-Man fanfic. One dose of five hundred MGS of magnesium works for me to make me sleep at night. You need plenty of sleep. Because if you do not sleep regularly it can have bad consequences for your health.

Last edited:

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
My deepest sympathies.
Take care to look after yourself.
Good luck
BC

apocalypsegal

Sorry about your dad. I lost mine a couple of years ago and it was really hard, even though we'd been prepared for years due to an illness he had (it was going to kill him no matter what). Sometimes sleep is good, but sometimes it's just you hiding from dealing with your emotions. That's not good. You should probably be in touch with your physician/counselor, so you can adapt as needed.

Some people find solace in work. So, if you can write, do it. I know I can't write in the really tough times, and I allow myself to heal in the way that works for me. It's set back my writing a lot, especially since my brother died last July and I'm not looking forward to the anniversary. Add in my sister's brush with death due to an overdose earlier this year, and I've been in a spiral. Starting to come out, but it's certainly not easy.

Hang in there.

Turnbull

Please take good care of yourself. Your dad would want that. hugs

As far as writing goes, feeling that you have so much inside of you that you need to get out is the most motivating place to be. Don't think about it too hard. Just write and write. You can edit it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.