Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Drawing Attempts ala Reichel (1 Viewer)

Reichelina

Drawing Attempts a la Reichel

Tried drawing before. I liked it.
I can only draw people's faces though.

This was back in 2013. :)

4adac24d80f9fb020facab679c04651c.jpg

Last edited:

Greyson

I could never do people, I just satisfy myself with drawing landscapes and flowers and stuff. That looks really good, I would love to see something more recent, I bet you've improved a whole lot over the last few years! Well done still 8)

Reichelina

Limbs are hard, and let's not mention hands and feet. JEEZUZ CHRIST, they're hard to draw! I usually crop the photo so you never have to see em.

I hate that hands and feet come in pairs. HAHAHA.
I mean, they have to be identical.. which is the hardest thing ever.

PrinzeCharming

New Writers' Mentor
WF Veterans
Wow, that's impressive(ly subliminal)! Okay, I'll behave! On the topic of critiquing your drawing skills, ... the hair and the hat are too blended. Try to differentiate the two. I didn't realize it was a hat until a few seconds after. The hair itself could use some details. It would compliment the time you took for the facial features and structure. The eyebrows are on point. Beautiful. They're not too furry like facial caterpillars but not thin enough to consider a lazy attempt. The eyes, eyelashes, and everything in that area is perfect. You did a great job with the indents. Noses are difficult. I can understand that, especially the nostrils. Perfect set of lips and jawline. You have the neck down pat and everything else seems to tie in perfectly.

Thanks for sharing!

Reichelina

I could never do people, I just satisfy myself with drawing landscapes and flowers and stuff. That looks really good, I would love to see something more recent, I bet you've improved a whole lot over the last few years! Well done still 8)

Why, thanks, Greyson.
Now, I have not "practiced" much. LIFE SUCKED LIFE OUT OF ME. hahaha.

I was going through my old stuff and saw this. Made me want to try drawing again.

Wow, that's impressive(ly subliminal)! Okay, I'll behave! On the topic of critiquing your drawing skills, ... the hair and the hat are too blended. Try to differentiate the two. I didn't realize it was a hat until a few seconds after. The hair itself could use some details. It would compliment the time you took for the facial features and structure. The eyebrows are on point. Beautiful. They're not too furry like facial caterpillars but not thin enough to consider a lazy attempt. The eyes, eyelashes, and everything in that area is perfect. You did a great job with the indents. Noses are difficult. I can understand that, especially the nostrils. Perfect set of lips and jawline. You have the neck down pat and everything else seems to tie in perfectly.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for taking the time to read stare at my work. I appreciate it.
If you were a girl, will you have a crush on the man? LOL.

[Perfect set of lips and jawline.

Last edited:

PrinzeCharming

New Writers' Mentor
WF Veterans
You will be hard to draw. As much as I love hair, I suck AT it.
---> that word is so important here. Erase it and I'll be in trouble.

Regardless, you have more talent than I do in that department. I couldn't draw that well to save my life.

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
I used to hate to draw hands, so I forced myself to do them, actually looking for opportunities to draw/paint them. Now I actually look forward to doing them. In fact, I'm working on a commission right now with a couple hands featured prominently. I still have a lot to learn about rendering them well, but I've improved much in the last couple years.

Now feet, on the other "hand"…

I guess the point of what I'm suggesting is that you shouldn't avoid your weak areas. Attack them. Conquer them. It's just art, after all.

Last edited:

Reichelina

I used to hate to draw hands, so I forced myself to do them, actually looking for opportunities to draw/paint them. Now I actually look forward to doing them. In fact, I'm working on a commission right now with a couple hands featured prominently. I still have a lot to learn about rendering them well, but I've improved much in the last couple years.

Now feet, on the other "hand"…

I guess the point of what I'm suggesting is that you shouldn't avoid your weak areas. Attack them. Conquer them. It's just art, after all.

How were able to improve? Just kept drawing hands?
I tried drawing again last night, (after years of not practicing) and I think I'm hating the hair again! Lol. Thanks sigma!

ShadowEyes

WF Veterans
From my very limited experience, besides some core fundamentals that you can study to learn technique (foreshortening, perspective, color values, shading, etc.), most of drawing is practice. It's training the eye to break up complex shapes into basic shapes and (in the case of perspective) re-aligning drawing problems into draftsmanship problems.

However, it's far from impossible, and it's no fun if you look at it as a checklist of things to do. You should work on what you like. For instance, I like drawing the figure. So I draw the figure a lot. I started copying (a few months ago) and moved on to imagination and iterative drawing. Now I'm learning perspective to help me with figure-drawing, and it's so similar to buildings, and atmospheres! Now I want to draw buildings!

And trust me, you don't need formal schooling for this. You can learn everything you need online. It's a fact. I hope sigmadog can provide more information and inspiration because I used all of my five-cent words in this post!

Reichelina

From my very limited experience, besides some core fundamentals that you can study to learn technique (foreshortening, perspective, color values, shading, etc.), most of drawing is practice. It's training the eye to break up complex shapes into basic shapes and (in the case of perspective) re-aligning drawing problems into draftsmanship problems.

However, it's far from impossible, and it's no fun if you look at it as a checklist of things to do. You should work on what you like. For instance, I like drawing the figure. So I draw the figure a lot. I started copying (a few months ago) and moved on to imagination and iterative drawing. Now I'm learning perspective to help me with figure-drawing, and it's so similar to buildings, and atmospheres! Now I want to draw buildings!

And trust me, you don't need formal schooling for this. You can learn everything you need online. It's a fact. I hope sigmadog can provide more information and inspiration because I used all of my five-cent words in this post!

That is a very detailed answer!
Thank you!

When I was a kid, I would draw rooms and houses, pretty much like an interior designer kind of thing.

Also, I'm a copycat when it comes to faces and people. Everything I draw has to have some "model". I would copy the illustrations on mangas and comics. For the real people, I ask for pictures.

I would love to learn to draw waterfalls and mountains.
You're sitting there, staring at that wonderful creation and trying to recreate it on paper. Ehhhh.

I'd like to see some of your building illustrations someday! :)

Users who are viewing this thread