Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Drafting/revising (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Hi, I am a discovery/pantser writer. I did do a basic timeline for the main events/ ideas of my story, however, I made a big decision to change a main plot point. I am still in the middle of drafting and I know its best to wait to complete (or close to complete) the draft before revising but since I will need to rewrite a good chunk of it, I am having a hard time getting into my story, I have several themes I am trying to connect with previous chapters. Knowing how much I need to change distracts me from continuing with the story. I have written 20 chapters so far and knowing how big of an inconsistent dumpster-fire my draft is, stresses me out a bit and I have a hard time focusing on what I am writing. Any advice? I am a new writer and have not done a full revision either but I think I will enjoy it more than drafting. Thank you!

Jan

Nature never rushes, yet everything is accomplished right on time.

Take your time and revise the things that feel the most out of place. When things looks acceptable, finish the draft. Then, revise from there.

Just my 2 cents.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Nature never rushes, yet everything is accomplished right on time.

Take your time and revise the things that feel the most out of place. When things looks acceptable, finish the draft. Then, revise from there.

Just my 2 cents.
You think I should revise before completing the draft? I was thinking about reading through what I have so far and making a revision/ ideas list without going in to edit yet. Thank you for responding

Ajoy

Unless the issues are keeping you from finishing (or small enough to fix without destroying your focus on telling the story), you might want to just finish the draft and fix the issues when you revise. This will allow you to think about your revisions within the big picture and your themes in mind. I think keeping a notes document of the issues you will need to revise is helpful when working like this.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
If you can continue with the idea of what preceded the change not influencing you going forward, then just continue, even if it isn't consistent with the previous parts. But go back and put notes here and there to remind yourself of the changes you need to make to bring it in line with the later parts. If you can't, start from the beginning again.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
My 2c
Never delete anything. Copy whatever you edit out to a slush file for inspiration later.
Good luck
BC
Yes, when I'm going to do my major revision, I'm going to make a copy of all my chapters and work off that. I might do copies of the revisions as well to look back on all the major changes. I'm an "over writer" so I have plenty of things to cut. I did a lot of "telling" and not showing at the beginning especially.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Yes, when I'm going to do my major revision, I'm going to make a copy of all my chapters and work off that. I might do copies of the revisions as well to look back on all the major changes. I'm an "over writer" so I have plenty of things to cut. I did a lot of "telling" and not showing at the beginning especially.
Yes!
I keep backups of everything. I archive everything before moving on to the next version.

Gamer_2k4

WF Veterans
Is it out of the question to just make a note of the plot point change and just continue writing as though it was what you want it to be? Then, once the draft is done, correct any inconsistencies?

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Is it out of the question to just make a note of the plot point change and just continue writing as though it was what you want it to be? Then, once the draft is done, correct any inconsistencies?
I think my issue is I am still not 100% on my vision and I'm a pantser so I won't be until I complete the first draft. There is a couple of big changes I know I need to make already. I don't think it's as huge as I make it out but since I am knew to writing, the amount of things I know I need to change and want to add is overwhelming. I am an overthinker as well, so that doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.