Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Douglas Adams (1 Viewer)

Rayner

I remember getting The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy from the library back in, not exactly knowing what I had just got. Turned out, it was probably the funniest book I ever read and still is. After reading the entire "trilogy" of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (there are five books in all :lol:), I would say that the one I like the most is Life, the Universe and Everything, sadly though, I never really thought So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish was very good (to much romance for me I guess). What does anyone else think of them? Also, I know Adam's wrote other books, but I can never find them, anyone know what they are :D ?
On a final note, can't say I was a big fan of the movie...

Last edited:

A_MacLaren

The other notable books are 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency' and 'The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul'. There's also a book of his dhort stories, article and the unifinished third Dirk Gently book called 'The Salmon of Doubt'.

Rayner

Thanks! I knew there was more out there, but the book stores never have any of them. I suppose I can try the internet, now that I know the names.

simon woodhouse

I thought the first Hitchhiker's book was very funny, but the series seemed to lose steam quickly, with each subsequent volume being less than the previous. I liked the TV show, but the less said about the film the better.

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Sole was good. Didn't he also do some sort of Titanic parody set in space, or did I dream that?

Beardedtroll

simon woodhouse said:
The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Sole was good. Didn't he also do some sort of Titanic parody set in space, or did I dream that?

Yes and no. He was involved with the computer game Starship Titanic but the novelisation was actually written by Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame), apparently in the nude.

It's always worth remembering that the Hitchhiker's Guide was originally a radio play. BBC sells the original programs on CDs, and they're well worth getting.