Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Don't lay under a coconut tree when the winds blowing hard (1 Viewer)

J

jimmer

Hi

Just thought I'd quickly introduce myself and then end with two questions.

Writing is totally allien to me. I didn't do too well at school and even now don't have many qualifications. I left school at 16 and haven't really held down a job since. I'm now 32 and work in sales and marketing. I'm doing ok, but feel I'm going nowhere fast. I need something new, something to challange and stimulate me.

I've always been told my biggest strength is "thinking outside the box". Whenever we have a new challange or target at work I always manage to achieve great results by coming up with new solutions or ideas. I think I have a creative mind.

A few colleagues at work have suggested I should write comedy as I'm always making them laugh. They say the challange of coming up with new work should focus me aswell. So I'm thinking of giving it ago. I really struggle with my writing, both spelling and formatting (I even wrote this on ms word before posting). I have no idea on where to start, but I'm thinking as the jokes or sketches will be fairly short, it might help to keep me focused.

The second question i have is a bit more obsecure. I have an idea for a novel. I've worked out all the info about the plot and characters and there's a great twist in the tale. I have talked it over with my wife and friends and they all think it would make a great story. As I have no knowledge of writing a book, I was wondering if I could pass on my story line (or even sell the idea) to someone who could produce the idea into a novel? I'm thinking there must be loads of writers out there looking for ideas, so we would be helping each other. I realise it's not that simple, but there must be some way of arranging this?

Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated.

(Great forum btw-a lot of you guys work hard)

Jimmer

Faustling

The second question i have is a bit more obsecure. I have an idea for a novel. I've worked out all the info about the plot and characters and there's a great twist in the tale. I have talked it over with my wife and friends and they all think it would make a great story. As I have no knowledge of writing a book, I was wondering if I could pass on my story line (or even sell the idea) to someone who could produce the idea into a novel? I'm thinking there must be loads of writers out there looking for ideas, so we would be helping each other.

While everyone is different I think it's pretty safe to say that 99% of all writers prefer to work with their own ideas (even when they don't have any). You might be able to find someone who's willing to be your partner in writing the story but then you're probably expected to do more then supply the idea.

Nickie

WF Veterans
Hello to you, Jimmer, and welcome to the forum. I guess what you're looking for is a ghost writer. But then you'll have to pay the guy, or share the royalties. Perhaps you can ask around if there is anyone willing to do that?

Nickie

Shinn

Hello and welcome to Writing Forums, Jimmer Yes, a ghost writer would be the best solution, but as Nickie said, ask around if any of the members are willing to do it first.

~ Shinn