Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Don't Dish it Out, If You Can't Take It (1 Viewer)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
It may be that someone gives valuable crit that is ignored by an arrogant arsehole, sorry, 'special snowflake', more fool him, he has lost a chance to learn, but there will be others reading the thread who may well profit from his missed lesson.

I would agree with PiP it is foolish giving crit by pm, not only is it depriving others of the chance to learn from it, the person giving it may be missing something important, or even be completely wrong, and no-one will know or pick them up on it. Let's keep it out there and up front. There is also a little devil in me that wants to suggest you can not edit the first post of a thread, make them think and check before they post, and stop them editing it away if they don't like the comments, let's us go on talking about it even if they don't want to hearhttps://www.writingforums.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Edit, that didn't work, imagine a little devil smiley at the end.

sas

WF Veterans
Gosh, Danny, I guess I must ask, "If your neighbor noticed a fire next to your house, would you expect him to tell you? Probably. You'd be damn grateful, too. (as you are here). But, you'd give yourself a pass ,if his was burning down, and go on your way?"

You are one of the reasons I no longer workshop in Poetry group. I just can't sort out and keep track of who wants workshop efforts; who gets offended by them; and, who is a user. Pick one.

I'd prefer that when you post (and, I like your work) you would say that workshop isn't expected on it. I have done exactly that on certain of my posted poems. I don't want anyone wasting their talent and efforts, on something I have no intention of changing, and am only sharing it. I no longer do that either.

For me, this is a family. In all families everyone, except young children, do something to help. That's what adults do.

Yes, I've a prickly side.

Last edited:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
For me, this is a family. In all families everyone, except young children, do something to help. That's what adults do.
Can't we count posting beautiful poems? Danny was one of the reasons I joined wf in the first place. Though I have barely commented on his poetry I have had a lot of pleasure from it. Yes I have a selfish side ;)

sas

WF Veterans
Can't we count posting beautiful poems? Danny was one of the reasons I joined wf in the first place. Though I have barely commented on his poetry I have had a lot of pleasure from it. Yes I have a selfish side ;)

Danny could start his own blog. Or, as I suggested, just say he isn't participating in workshop efforts. I have done that on particular poems I've posted. I guess I see it differently. Using others without giving back. A new member (last name starts with Von) just spent a great deal of time making excellent suggestions on Danny's last post. So, when the new member posts his work, Danny gets a pass and can just hit "thanks" to show his undying appreciation. Fudge.

Reactions: PiP

Kevin

WF Veterans
This isn't life or death. There's no fire. Given the choice between communism and anarchy I'll always choose the latter. Not chaos mind you, but free expression and/or the right to not express. Family? You know that my way or the highway doesn't fly with me. You can choose to like it or lump it but until the admins set it down in stone, I ain't doin it.

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Well, we ARE a writing "community".... what is a community, and how does it function? Google it, I did... I am here to learn, to participate, to give and yes, to take... and when I log in, I want to give my best.... and when I log out, I like to think my time was well spent....

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Looks like I might need to find a new pond to haunt as I don't offer even that much...;)

Leave it out :) Seriously, people like you and Danny I would hesitate to crit anyway. Sometimes I might spot what is a specific point, but generally what I could say would probably not be very useful, and being useful is the main point for me.
It takes all sorts to make a world, and I am quite happy if some people choose to be unpleasant to me. Generally I ignore them, but then I have the luxury of not being staff any more, it can colour one's thinking ;)

clark

Staff member
Chief Mentor
Well, I have a practical side--I have no idea how in hell this happened-- but in four days I'll be 80 years old, and no matter how much I love writing poetry and talking about poetry, damned if I'll waste precious time writing anything about a poem whose author has previously indicated no interest, or arrogant response to what I have to say. I wrote an extensive critique on a poem in a LinkedIn group, a critique that included a couple of key questions for the poet to consider. Her response was to tick "thanks". Later, she sent me an indignant note that I was commenting on other poets' work, but no longer commented on hers. Now that takes balls. But I'm not interested. I couldn't care less if a poet concurs with my opinions, but I do care about dialogue. That's what these forums should be about. Even if you are in awe and write a few lines of untinting praise, you can indicate those aspects of the piece you found especially noteworthy, and why. Isolating those aspects opens discussion with the poet, who may have found some of them weak him/herself, and is surprised. A conversation starts. Others join in. At the other end of the scale--quite unusual on these boards--if a 'poem' is, to you, little more than scattered notes looking for some sort of form or substance, and you choose to comment, you have an obligation to find a courteous way of telling it like it is, even to a neophyte. Death to the one-liners! LinkedIn and Hubpages and other host-sites are full of groups that caress and fondle each others' hackneyed drivel like Sacred Text. Olly reminded us that all poetry is 'good', we can't all be 'serious', there is indeed a place in the full orchestra of Poetry for the dude that tinkles the triangle twice in a two-hour concerto. Of course there is. I'm just not interested. I'm passionately interested, though, in the kids who make all sorts of errors as they screech and saw cacophonous cat-wails on their violins. . .but you feel and occasionally hear the crackle of the fires in their bellies to become lead violin. And I'm passionately interested in all the players between there and lead violin. That's what I mean by "serious", Olly, because, as Marvel puts it so simply, ". . .at my back I always hear/Time's wing-ed chariot hurrying near. "Gotta stay ahead of that bastard, Olly, and I wanna do it doin' the stuff I wanna do. Milton called it "enlightened self-interest"! Cheers to all. . . .

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
I agree, Clark... time is precious and should not be wasted on those who have no intention of actually working to improve their skill, or those who use the fabulous poetry thread as a poetry dump...

I also agree that ALL aspects of a poem should be addressed...positive comments are vital, as you said.. it gives the poet a "jumping off" point, and is valuable in the editing process... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread