Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Does anyone read Neil Gaiman? (1 Viewer)

SxThorntonxS

I just finished reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. Great book, but I have liked most of his other stuff as well. This book though, it reminds me a bit of Hitchhikers Guide, not in story, but just the way its written. If anyone else read it, please let me know if you feel it too.

PaPa

I greatly enjoyed 'Neverwhere' and 'American Gods', and his short story 'Chivalry' is one of my favourites. His writing style is very similar to that of the other great humorous fantasists like Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams, but he has a slight darkness all his own. 'Good Omens', that he co-wrote with Pratchett, is probably my favourite of both their works.

Stewart

While I like his ideas, I didn't like his execution in one book. I've only part-read Neverwhere, though, and that is enough I think to decide that he wasn't for me.

SxThorntonxS

Well you all need to read Anansi boys because its a lot different from his previous stuff while still maintaining the typical Gaiman style.

PaPa

I bought Anansi Boys yesterday. It seems pretty good so far.

Looking over my previous post, I'd like to amend it somewhat. I would define Pratchett, Gaiman, Adams and co. as 'alternative fantasy' rather than humorous fantasists, as I feel that the latter is rather inaccurate. Alternative Fantasy is a much better classification. I quite like the phrase as well...

Last edited:

Stiltspear

The first Neil Gaiman book I read was Stardust, which I hated, and then I read Neverwhere, which I really enjoyed but found to be a bit lacking. THEN, I read American Gods which is one of my favourite books ever. His style had become more fluent and the story seemed much more thought-out, deeper and more intellectual. I love the dark humour he brings to his books, and am now reading his Sandman series, and will soon begin on Anansi Boys. :D

SxThorntonxS

Yeah i never read stardust, it just didnt interest me as much as the others. Though i do hear they are making a movie, i believe animated for stardust. What really got me into Gaiman was a book of short stories he had a long time ago called Angels And Visitations. It was great but out of print. However, you can now get that and more as Smoke and Mirrors. All poetry and short stories and such, good stuff.

I read Stardust and loved it. I think a movie version would be great but I'd like to see live action more than cartoon....oh well.

Gizzmo0411

One of the funnier books I've read came from a team effort between Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett called Good Omens. The best way to describe it would be a predecessor to the movie Dogma. A satire about the Christian/Catholic faith. I found it to be hilarious...they way they personify the heavenly personalities is priceless. Anyone else read this one?