Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Do you have a morning routine for writing? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

watermark

I recently read about Morning Journals in the book The Artist's Way by Julila Cameron. The idea is you write 3 pages of whatever comes to your mind first thing in the morning to clear "mind junk" and this somehow makes you more creative. Apparently this method helped many do their best work. I haven't tried it, so I can't say either way if it works.

There's plenty of morning routines for writers besides this one of course. Some like Stephen King has a quota like 2000 a day (it's 1000 now that he's older). Some do exercises, some drink special tea or take supplements. Some meditate. Some set very specific times to write and stop mid sentence when the clock strikes, picking up at the same place the next day. Some even have weird rituals like lighting a candle before starting or sitting at at specific place with specific tools etc. etc.

So fellow friends here. What morning routines have you actually done? Have they worked for you? Interested to hear about it.

Cephus

I'm up at 5am Monday-Friday writing. I hit a minimum of 5k a day, never less, almost always more, and by 8-8:30, I'm usually done and ready for work. I don't have to clear my mind, I know what I'm writing and I just do it.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Morning routine...hmmm...let's see. Make a cup of tea, take it to the computer, sit down and stare at the screen. Flip through my social media. Realize that I could waste the day away googling current events or other various and sundry facts. Check on WF and see that @Cephus and @indianroads have just written a bunch of words, or completed yet ANOTHER novel. Open my WIP. Play my theme song, right now it's Ocean Eyes by Billie Eilish. Make a commitment to write at least 200 words. Start writing.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Make the bed.
Feed my cats (the three upstairs are mine) - they go crazy for the canned wet food (often tuna) because they get dry food for the rest of the day.
Clean sand boxes.
Empty garbage.
Have coffee with my wife on the back deck - we have a view of the Colorado Front Range.
Power up the computer: check email, WF, and FB.
Call up the writing I did yesterday: if (not awful) start the next chapter; else, rewrite and fix.

watermark

I'm up at 5am Monday-Friday writing. I hit a minimum of 5k a day, never less, almost always more, and by 8-8:30, I'm usually done and ready for work. I don't have to clear my mind, I know what I'm writing and I just do it.
5000 in 3 hours? Wow. I think I only hit that in the last few days of NaNo cause I really wanted to make my goal.

Thanks, that's really inspiring! I should start a quota again. Not 5000 certainly. Maybe start with 1000? :p

Cephus

5000 in 3 hours? Wow. I think I only hit that in the last few days of NaNo cause I really wanted to make my goal.

Thanks, that's really inspiring! I should start a quota again. Not 5000 certainly. Maybe start with 1000? :p

I do about 2k an hour or about 500 words every 15 minutes.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
When I am writing I start at 0400. The logic is that you are at your highest brainpower in the morning and thru the day it slowly diminishes. By the time you get home from work you are an id10t.
So I give my writing my top-shelf intellect, and work gets whatever is left over.

0400-0700, 7 days a week.
Now you can likely see why I am currently on sabbatical. It is a hard regime to follow.

Megan Pearson

Go to bed with the next day's plan in mind.

Wake up in the morning & toss the plan out the window.

I am so much more productive when I can stick to a plan.

Tiamat

Patron
I have to say I'm impressed that all of you are so incredibly productive in the morning. I have a writing routine, but it's entirely flipflopped here. I write five nights a week, for at least an hour before bed. Then, after I've shut the lights out and am lying in bed, I spend some amount of time planning for what I'm going to write tomorrow and making mental notes of things I need to tweak.

Granted, this is all assuming I'm actively working on a piece, since for the time being, I only write short fiction, not anything novel-length.

I could probably make some kind of argument that my fifteen minutes of quiet time in the mornings, after I've fed the critters and watered the garden and before I log into work for the day, allow my brain a chance to rest and recharge, which facilitates the writing I'm going to do later that night. And that argument might not even be wrong. But it still feels kinda cheap. 😁

K.S. Crooks

I write as soon as I wake up a minimum of 350 words. I do this before my kids wake or on the way to work (back when we all had to leave home). I average 400 words a morning, which comes to 2000 words a week and a novel of 85 000 - 100 000 words in less than a year. I write as a hobby not as a career, so I've no need to rush.

Matchu

- Wake up @ 06:45. Stare into space listening to seagulls mate on the roof.

- Gaviscon, vape, radio on, cat assaults the bed. Move a single limb and cat races down staircase. He is an idiot. Stand, enter three foot square lavatory naked or wearing t-shirt option
- Shower naked, maintain the strict schedule of cup of tea plus cat food plus my own lunch is made until return to my lavatory at 07:15.

- 07:15-07:30 Free time in my lavatory.

- Finish. Teeth 07:30-07:33

- Bicycle to work @ 07:38

- Day off version would be wake/cat/tea/kissy kissy/desk & writing. Submissions usually made 22:30ish on the night before returning back to work on the 'I probably won't have to do this job next week due to that submission' principle.

Last edited:

JJBuchholz

Most of my writing takes place in the evening hours, but my writing routine starts early in the day. I will sometimes think about
a story idea or current project on my way to work, and will jot down any points or notes about said project on a scrap of paper
while at work.

Once I get back home, I'll add those points to my secondary notebook as point-form notations, and begin the actual writing
after I've cooked supper and cleaned up the kitchen. For some reason, 8 o'clock seems to be the magic hour for me in regards
to writing. I'll continue on until 11 o'clock, then call it a night.

I might make some more point-form notes before I go to sleep, or just go over the process in my head before I drift off for
the evening.

-JJB

Status
Not open for further replies.