Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Do you hang out on other forums? (1 Viewer)

KeganThompson

This is not only the first writing forum I've joined but the first forum ever lol. Do you hang out in other forums? Or any other writing forums? I really like it here, but I was wondering if there were other writing forums you'd recommend. ( the more critique and discussion the better) Sounds like some can be a toxic dumpster fire lol
ALSO
thoughts on Wattpad? Dont know if I should bother posting anything on there or not. Or if you recommend somewhere else. 🤷‍♀️

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
This is not only the first writing forum I've joined but the first forum ever lol. Do you hang out in other forums? Or any other writing forums? I really like it here, but I was wondering if there were other writing forums you'd recommend. ( the more critique and discussion the better) Sounds like some can be a toxic dumpster fire lol
ALSO
thoughts on Wattpad? Dont know if I should bother posting anything on there or not. Or if you recommend somewhere else. 🤷‍♀️
I used to but it is no more (now bear in mind this is not counting Bianca's Smut Shack in the 90s). Every now and again I visit Mythic Scribes or Fantasy Faction or SFF Chronicles but I don't really 'hang out' there. It's just too much time investment for not enough return. Looked at Wattpad once and that was enough; the quality of writing that I saw was so low and the formatting irritated me :)

KeganThompson

I used to but it is no more (now bear in mind this is not counting Bianca's Smut Shack in the 90s). Every now and again I visit Mythic Scribes or Fantasy Faction or SFF Chronicles but I don't really 'hang out' there. It's just too much time investment for not enough return. Looked at Wattpad once and that was enough; the quality of writing that I saw was so low and the formatting irritated me :)
Looks like I'd fit right in :)

Sinister

I've been on a lot of forums. Jesus, nearly 7 total, starting back in the 90s with EAGB. Which stood for Euro-Asian Game Boy forums. Still had the same handle on all of them.

Bunch of damn drama. Which is why I've been to 7 of them instead of just 1. Between personal politics, power struggles, relationships and money, they all ended up dissolving in bad blood. Even got booted from one for refusing to take a political position. Which is fine, they didn't have a strong enough threat to force me to be political.

This forum is different. It's based less on opinion and more on the profession. It seems more like the University to the other forum's high school. So I wouldn't hang out on other forums. I hate drama and conflict. I'm not competitive or political. I don't care to talk religion or debate/argue.

-Sin

KeganThompson

I agree, I like the professionalism on this forum. Topics that lean on certain "questionable, decisive" territory haven't became blood baths. Lol

Regardless of politics or if there is a world view in someone's writing that leans a certain way, pointing it out and critiquing that won't make them a better writer nor will it make them agree with you. Regardless of certain positions I think ppl need to learn to focus on critiquing, structure ect on writing. Not throwing them out because they don't like their opinion. You can still like and respect people you don't agree with.
I want to become a better writer. Disliking someone's ideas/ politics won't help me.
That's why I am asking for people thoughts on other forums. I don't want to go to one and realize it's more about politics ect than actual writing. Sad to hear it tbh. But even if I don't end up joining other forums, at least I have this one!

Fiender

My main writing forum is Absolute Write but between a massive DDos attack and some server migration, feels like it has been inactive for most of the past year. :S
Outside of writing, I don't really have cause to visit forums these days. Does Reddit count as a forum? I'll occasionally browse the subreddits of various topics and hobbies :p

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
I've been a member of a few forums over the last 14 years. A couple of photography ones when I took it up as a hobby in 2007, a couple of equestrian ones when Mrs Twain't got her horse and a football supporters' one. I'm also a member of the "other" WF one although I've never posted in it (haven't even looked in there since registered).

Last edited:

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I'm in a gaming forum on Discord, and .... YUCK. If the content was anywhere else I'd be much happier. I just dislike that interface.

Although I've been on boards going back to Prodigy, my first writing forum was "elsewhere". As years went on, I got more and more of a sour taste about that place. This is consistently the most polite, non-judgmental, positive place I've ever participated. That's why I agreed to join Staff. I want to keep enjoying this atmosphere for a long, long time, and I'm happy to do my bit to help keep it that way.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I joined a couple of other writing forums a few years back and I still take a peek 'occasionally' but I always feel, no matter how hard I try, I am always an outsider looking in.

I participate in various gardening, Covid and expat FB groups but I struggle with content layout and discussions. Okay for quick questions but there are so many aggressive trolls out there... WoW! I quickly retreat.

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
Ah, I forgot all about Literotica!

I joined as an experiment to see if I could write from a female POV so I joined pretending to be female. I uploaded a few erotic stories and posted as a female and I'd say it was a success.

seigfried007

Prior to their demises, I was a part of both the AuthorsByDesign and Authonomy sites/forums. I also participated in the Longridge Writers Group chats prior to it changing its name. I am currently part of the NaNoWriMo forums and run a small writers Discord server that offers plot help, role-playing (we've found it immensely helpful in getting to know tough characters), and functions as a writer support group. I'm also part of a mental health Discord server.

Lawless

I don't actually hang out on any forums. I don't even keep any chats open, because I can't think when distracted by messages coming in. However, I visit Vkonktakte (the Russian equivalent of Facebook) on a regular basis and less frequently Facebook and a languages forum called hinative.com.

I used to frequent two other writers' forums, but I don't like them anymore.

Megan Pearson

Nope. I might be gone a while & come back, but I come back. But being gone has to do with other obligations, not for my writing.

Before I joined here I tried out someplace else and went through culture shock. They had some wierd rewards system to reinforce millenial values that was quite repulsive & insulting.

No one else has mentioned their in-person involvement, so I will. In-person is quite different than online. The last in-person writer's group I made the effort to join I was easily the youngest matron's granddaughter's age. Just couldn't get into the memoir thing. Also tried a creative writing course. When the instructor took the first hour and a half of class time to hold a private discussion outside the classroom door (heard everything) on the first day of class, and then I learned that not only was her own writing unpublished, but that she was more interested in celebrating indecorous stories than real life, I dropped the course. VERY disappointing. She wasn't there for the students but herself.

Not all experiences are the same, though. Years ago I joined a nifty little in-person writers group. Very fun. At that time, its electronic portion was organized around an email list exchange. Then the email list began to draw in local English & Literature freshman who knew everything about everything & brutally squashed the ignorance of us uneducated folk to a pulp, so I quit. The group is better organized now; last I looked they were incorporated & even charge a membership fee. Maybe--if I ever write something worth reading--I'll join again. (They used to put on the absolute BEST conferences & those were all free. Not sure if they still do. I should look back into that now that COVID is receding into the distant past...)

So no; no place else. I like the sportsmanship approach to writing here. In my academic world, there's a sense that we're all there to support one another. Competition, yes, but comraderie too. I get that team-support experience here. Whatever your skill level, so long as you're trying to grow, you're welcome. I like that & want to support that.

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
There's a few fora I check with some regularity. Usually for technical/historical stuff. I'm not real active on any of them.

I've probably signed up on a dozen writing outfits over the years. Most didn't stick - you usually wound up with a dead board, poor feedback (if any) and moderation that would allow if not actively promote faction warfare. The last board before WF was Scrib...some good people there, but I didn't care for the hidebound way of doing things or the sense that certain members got to run wild and some got the hammer. It felt too much like pay-to-play, besides.

Then again, the first thing my people did when they got off the boat in Virginia was run into the forest and start making illegal whiskey, so stuff like 'structure' and 'laws' and 'socially acceptable' are pretty nebulous concepts.