Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Do incomplete titles of the poems really work that way? (1 Viewer)

ritudimrinautiyal

I wrote a very concise poem yesterday. And spontaneously gave it an incomplete title. I just posted it yesterday, so it's too early for me to say anything. But does it really work that way, even if not always?

Ritu

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
I think that works because it gives the reader more room to interpret rather than being told straight out what the subject is.

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
You can give your poem any title you want. It can be one word, or a phrase. A title should make your reader curious, wanting to read more, but it should by no means explain what will be in the poem, that would be a shame.

By the way, I moved your question here, in Nuts&Bolts. It's a better place for it.

ritudimrinautiyal

You can give your poem any title you want. It can be one word, or a phrase. A title should make your reader curious, wanting to read more, but it should by no means explain what will be in the poem, that would be a shame.

By the way, I moved your question here, in Nuts&Bolts. It's a better place for it.

Thanku Sir.
Now onwards I will post such threads here only.

Ritu

TL Murphy

Met3 Member
Staff member
Chief Mentor
The word was incomplete, I wanted readers to complete it with their interpretation. I couldn't get the response timely, so I got confused, if I did the right thing.

Ritu

There's really no right or wrong in poetry. It is either effective or it isn't. As Darren says, a title is meant to entice a reader into the poem without giving it away. Some titles have nothing to do with the poem. John Ashbury is famous for doing that and he is one of the most popular contemporary poets in the English language. You can do anything you want with a title. You can even quote another writer without giving credit since there is no copyright on titles so it isn't plagiarism.

ritudimrinautiyal

There's really no right or wrong in poetry. It is either effective or it isn't. As Darren says, a title is meant to entice a reader into the poem without giving it away. Some titles have nothing to do with the poem. John Ashbury is famous for doing that and he is one of the most popular contemporary poets in the English language. You can do anything you want with a title. You can even quote another writer without giving credit since there is no copyright on titles so it isn't plagiarism.

Thanks a lot for guiding me about that.

Users who are viewing this thread