Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Do age differences have to be addressed in romances? (1 Viewer)

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Okay thanks. It's just that I've never seen a may-decemeber romance in the horror thriller genre before. I've seen it in the drama and comedy genre, but never thriller/horror so I would be doing something that I have never seen done before, and wonder if it will be accepted therefore, if never done before.
If it's never been done before, do it. You don't have to have permission to be unique.

Llyralen

Age gaps in films and shows is discussed a lot in feminism as showing that the media portrays men’s sexual charms as enduring and women’s sexual charm as fleeting.

@indianroads you’re asking the same question multiple times.

This has also been a topic of conversation for a long time as kind of a thorn in women’s sides. See some other opinions.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Age gaps in films and shows is discussed a lot in feminism as showing that the media portrays men’s sexual charms as enduring and women’s sexual charm as fleeting.

@indianroads you’re asking the same question multiple times.

This has also been a topic of conversation for a long time as kind of a thorn in women’s sides. See some other opinions.

I’ve not responded to this thread, you must be thinking of someone else.

Regarding the age question, it only needs to be addressed if it’s pertinent to the plot.

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
With due respect, using Hollywood as a metric or a basis for anything is going to skew the discussion to hell and gone. What a first-tier actor/actress does has about as much bearing on good writing as the personal habits of royalty these days because the circumstances are so remote from your average reader as to be useless. You dig into a nest of fame-hungry narcissists with too much social influence, no limit to their wants or vices, and no natural checks on their appetites...yeah, you get people doing trashy stuff way outside the mainstream.

In that environment it may seem normal. But suffice it to say that learning that somebody's got a drug habit, doesn't pay their child support, and is dating twenty years below their own age is going to play very, very differently in Hollywood versus a small farming town in the Oklahoma panhandle.

Figure which audience you want and write to that.

And remember: Hollywood ain't reality.

Tettsuo

WF Veterans
I’ve not responded to this thread, you must be thinking of someone else.

Regarding the age question, it only needs to be addressed if it’s pertinent to the plot.
So if it wasn't pertinent to the plot, would we ignore it if the main character was dating a monkey?

I know I'm making light of the situation, but even if something is not germane to the plot, if it is not common, it may have to be explained. IMO, if a relationship has an age difference of 20 years, it needs to be addressed simply because of the large difference.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
So if it wasn't pertinent to the plot, would we ignore it if the main character was dating a monkey?

I know I'm making light of the situation, but even if something is not germane to the plot, if it is not common, it may have to be explained. IMO, if a relationship has an age difference of 20 years, it needs to be addressed simply because of the large difference.
If it's uncommon, it would very likely be part of the plot - why else would the author include it otherwise?

Llyralen

This thread has been interesting to research. Check out the map on these age gaps and the info on cultures that find older women living alone as okay (probably due to the woman having sufficient independence of both income and opportunities)— but these are cultures that usually have the least age-gaps too… basically empowerment to women.

I thought age gaps in film and shows are a well-established negative message to women (I.E. only looks and youth matter about women) and I thought casting directors had started to work on switching to “age-appropriate” casting.

For your enjoyment… the great Mitchell and Web did a skit about marketing taking advantage of the messages already out there to women and men (that’s how I see it) to sell products:

ironpony

I can do that, but how would a writer address an age difference without it coming off as awkward, or coming out of nowhere, if the rest of the story doesn't deal with any gap themes at all?

ironpony

Yes true, I can think about that :). Well it was said before that age gaps often have a power dynamic involved. Is the younger person in the age gap relationship often aware of the power dynamic or no?

Newman

I direct my own movie projects as well as write the scripts for them so far. So I have two actors in mind for a couple in a story. However, one of the actors looks about mid to late 20s, and the other one looks in their 40s more so. I was wondering, if there is a noticeable age gap, does this have to be addressed in the story as a theme? I don't want it to be as I feel the story is about completely different things.

It's a thriller, and not about romance themes, just a couple caught up in a thriller situation more so. But if that's the case, does the age difference have to be addressed, since in most movies I can think of, it often is, if the actors have a noticeable age gap? What do you think?

Thank you for any input on this. I really appreciate it!

Answer
Not necessarily. Depends what your theme is though...