Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Diviner, the latest addition to my "spiritual" poetry (1 Viewer)

darrellmoneyhon

This poem is a tribute to my wife, who had a whole lot to do with the dream and the recent realization of a family vacation in the Colorado Rockies. I got to climb/hike two "fourteeners," and had a wonderful time with my wife, my sons, and their families.

No matter that I slipped and fell "off" a mountain trail and hit my head against a rock! No signs of a concussion, but had a real shiner on my left eye as a souvenir! A few years back, I actually fell about 7 feet off a shelf of a mountain and landed face down in a bed of snow on a lower shelf.

Considering this unique history, I'll probably soon make my nickname here "Mountainfaller"! I hope to give mountain tours to novices in the future. If this dream ever materializes, my "schtyck" (sp?) will be: "I've already made all the mistakes, so you won't have to!"

Darrell (Mountainfaller) Moneyhon

Diviner

She brought me to a tree.

I was already heading there,

but got lost on the leafy way,

in the shadows,

in the shade.

She brought me to a mountain.

I was already heading there,

but got lost on the rocky way,

on unstable rocks,

on gravel-slide.

She loosed my arms

so I could hug the tree,

gave me a cane carved out of love

so I could climb the mountain.

Years ago, she married me.

Now she remarries me

to the divinity I divorce.

She brings me to a tree.

She brings me to a mountain.

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
This is a fine tribute to your wife and the contribution she has made to the realisation of your dreams. Sometimes, it takes a loving hand to give us the confidence to take those first steps towards the life we promise ourselves 'one day'. I like the way you use the metaphor of 'getting lost' to express the hesitancy to grab the nettle of life. I hope your wife enjoyed your poem?

darrellmoneyhon

Thanks, Jenthepen,

It was an early anniversary gift. Our anniversary is 08/04, the 47th! Glad you mentioned "grabbing the nettle (I'll have to look up "nettle"!) of life." A poetic way of saying a theme that has been on my mind recently:

How do I really say Yes to life? How can I be fully accepting of it, bad included? Whether it is a psychological goal or a spiritual one, to be "all in" is an item I have on my bucket list. Can I maintain that attitude consistently from here on out?

The summit does appear within reach. Appreciation of the gift/blessing of my wife is like a walking stick or cane to help me peak that mountain. Lots of metaphors and analogies here! Befitting the name/nature of this forum, I suppose.

Thanks also for reminding me that life-enhancement (showing love, experiencing gratitude, enhancing a sense of meaningfulness, etc.) is the main objective of my poetry. Its aesthetic merits are secondary to that. Poems with a "take-away" of some sort. Tools in the tool box for building a rich life.

Darrell

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
Congratulations to you and your wife on your anniversary! Forty-seven years. Wow! Mutual love, support and respect is obviously working for you two! :)

darrellmoneyhon

Thanks. Yes, I feel blessed, given a special something (a love relationship) that actually "works" for me. Today while running, I realized that I had not recently used an important technique to help out this old body exerting itself: to open up my heart and run as though I am simply hugging my wife. The theory is that something akin to quantum coherence improves the efficiency and/or resilience of a heart processing love energy. I truly believe the heart is an energy processing device, not merely a physical pump. We can learn to open up the heart to love. We can "turn on" love. And love really is, for the most part, a verb. Something we choose to do. But then a wonderful wife can be a very useful external cue or prompt or support to do love. I've been blessed with a good set of training wheels!

darrell mountainfaller moneyhon