Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

DiscWorld anyone? (1 Viewer)

Willis

What are your favorite bits throughout the series? And you're feelings on the book?

Some random quotes

The rumour spread through the city like wildfire (which had quite often spread through Ankh-Morpork since its citizens had learned the words “fire insurance”).

No enemies had ever taken Ankh-Morpock. Well technically they had, quite often; the city welcomed free-spending barbarian invaders, but somehow the puzzled raiders found, after a few days, that they didn't own their horses any more, and within a couple of months they were just another minority group with its own graffiti and food shops.

As Mort scrambled behind the ornate silver saddle Death leaned down and shook Lezek’s hand.

THANK YOU, he said.

‘He’s a good lad at heart,’ said Lezek. ‘A bit dreamy, that’s all. I suppose we were all young once.’

Death considered this.

NO, he said, I DON'T THINK SO.

The Four Horsemen whose Ride presages the end of the world are known to be Death, War, Famine and Pestilence. But even less significant events have their own Horsemen. For example, the Four Horsemen of the Common Cold are Sniffles, Chesty, Nostril and Lack of Tissues; the Four Horsemen whose appearance foreshadows any public holiday are Storm, Gales, Sleet and Contra-flow.

Sorry the stuff is so freakin funny..just one more:

Of course, Ankh-Morpork's citizens had always claimed that the river water was incredibly pure. Any water that had passed through so many kidneys, they reasoned, had to be very pure indeed.

Nefieslab

yeah i like The Hogfather and Mort. Mainly Mort. I'm sorry but Death is funny like when he tried to get drunk,

I don't have to bee drunk...i can...stop whenever i want...

~Kouryuu~

Death, Vimes and Rincewind, my friends!!!! :] Best characters in the HISTORY OF WRITING!!!!!!

Hogfather, Night watch, Guards Guards and Lost continent!!! xD Brilliant!!

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Death is Pratchett's best character IMO, and that's saying something because his characters are all fantastic! I like anything with Sam Vimes in it, too. And I laughed my way through Going Postal.

One nice thing about Pratchett...there are still so many books I haven't read yet! So it'll take me awhile to run out. :) The bad thing is, once I've read a Pratchett book that's all I WANT to read.

So nice to see some fellow DiscWorld fans here!

BlackWolf

I adore Terry Pratchett. He's so funny, and so deep, and such an aspie (I can't be bothered to explain the term aspie. Google it if you care. I'm an aspie, just so you know.)

My favourite character is Rincewind. My favourite quote, though, is from the Bursar; the simple, serious, and very true "perspective is a lie."

Love Terry Prattchet. Best ever has to be Going Postal, closely followed by Night Watch.

What can I say.. I love his antiheroes.

Girl in Story

I freaking love Night Watch. Vimes is such an interesting character, can't get enough of him.

Death is, of course, an incredible character. You've gotta love anthropomorphic personifications of intangible or metaphysical concepts. Especially when they're drunk.

MiloDaePesdan

What was the name of that book with the newspaper and the vampire who kept regenerating?

My list of favorite Pratchett books:

Night Watch (Best Sam Vimes book)
Mort
The Hogfather (Best gothic character ever!)
Thief of Time
Jingo (hilarious satire on how stupid wars start)
The Wee Free Men (funny blue men in kilts)
The Color of Magic

Milo

Girl in Story

You are very right about Night Watch. My brother was actually reading it out loud (for no good reason, he likes the sound of his own voice) and I came in on it about halfway through.

That was the first time I'd ever heard Pratchett, and it was kind of a weird introduction but after that I was totally hooked.

MiloDaePesdan

:)

The underlying message with the lilac business struck a chord with me. Especially about our own Remembrance Day. The coppers with Vimes on that day weren't "a thin red line of 'eroes." Just people, doing their jobs, who deserve a quiet rest.

Got no business wearing a lilac if you weren't there.

Milo
It's probably the only book I ever came close enough to crying after. Lol.

Girl in Story

Oh, I totally cried when I read it, but I'm a pansy. I get way too into stories. For Christ's sake, an episode of Futerama made me cry once.

Crazy_dude6662

Oh, I totally cried when I read it, but I'm a pansy. I get way too into stories. For Christ's sake, an episode of Futerama made me cry once.
was that the episode with frys dog? that episode was so sad (but it always makes me feel worse when i see it because it was on the day my dog died, really, though you have to admit it was kinda weird that that episode was on on the same day (especialy as it was christmas, you would expect a christmas episode!))

anyway,

i keep meaning to read pratchet. can anyone suggest a good one to get me started?

BlackWolf

I know they always say "begin at the begining" but don't. The later ones are much better, and you arn't missing anything you can't catch up on. I'd suggest 'Going Postal' to start with, because it's at the start of a mini-saga and introduces you to Ankh-Morpork without making you fell as if you've missed anything.

Girl in Story

was that the episode with frys dog? that episode was so sad (but it always makes me feel worse when i see it because it was on the day my dog died, really, though you have to admit it was kinda weird that that episode was on on the same day (especialy as it was christmas, you would expect a christmas episode!))

anyway,

i keep meaning to read pratchet. can anyone suggest a good one to get me started?

Yeah, that was totally the episode. I'm sorry about your dog. Mine had actually died just about a week before I saw it. Creepy.