Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Discussion Thread for The Zodiac Chronicles (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MzSnowleopard

WF Veterans
This idea came to me today as I was making a post for the WIP thread. So I asked about it and got the green light. The idea is to separate the general discussion and updates from the reviews and critiques of the work in progress.

The added benefit is that this thread can keep going through each section of each novel in the series... I did mention that this is a series, right? 14 / 15 books all together, including the novella Prelude, followed by 1 book for each main character / Euro Zodiac, and then 1 or 2 to close out the series.

The current piece for review / critique is The Zodiac Chronicles: Prelude part 1 - located here (link)

Last edited:

MzSnowleopard

WF Veterans
For those who are interested- this is the island I chose to use in TZC Prelude. It's just off the coast of the mainland. The actual coordinates are on the image.. Set in the waters of the Agean Sea among the Sporades Islands the islet, named Agios Georgios Skopelou and it's smaller companion Mikpo can be seen from both mainlands of Alónnisos to the east and Palouki, Greece to the West. There is a small cluster of ruins on the southwest coast of the islet called Ekklisia

tzc.island.jpg

MzSnowleopard

WF Veterans
I'm only guessing that by the lack of responses people are just as confused by Oracle as I am. No worries though, I have an alternative. I decided that I'm going to write up a simple 2 character scene that shows Lynn's father being interviewed. It won't be very long, a few paragraphs but it should be enough without giving away too much.

Last edited:

MzSnowleopard

WF Veterans
Okay, I've finally finished going through the last of the critiques. Thank you for the responses and help. I still have some tweaks to make before posting the revision. In the mean time- this is the blurb that I've worked up- so far:

~^~

Dr. Lynn Tristain is both an archeologist and a psionic. She uses her knowledge and skills to dig up the past. She uses her abilities of telepathy and telekinesis to thwart evil. Only a small number of people know what she can do.

Thomas 'TJ' Jeffords is a former Army Ranger and also a psionic. He uses his military training in his security position with CID. Like Lynn, he uses his psionic abilities to thwart evil. Only Lynn and one other know what he's capable of.

Helped by a Celestial being, they are the first to embrace an ancient legend and accept the destiny.

~^~

I realize y'all haven't read TJ's part, yet. It's coming. And you'll see more from Oracle with it. First, I have to round up all of the copies (I haven't counted them or the variations) then I have to merge / edit them down to one single copy. There are a few more things that I need to do to it before I post it.

Afterwards- I'll need to work on the final moment- end of this story. It's written, it just needs to be whittled down to one copy and polished. I'll keep y'all posted in this thread.

MzSnowleopard

WF Veterans
I have figured out a mechanic that's missing from my work- the interior monologue. Sadly, producing this happens to be one of my weaker skills. if anyone knows of a book or better yet, a study course to help strengthen / improve this skill- I'd be much appreciated.

As much as I love the book "self Editing for Fiction Writers" only 1 chapter covers this mechanic. This is oh so not enough for me. It's equivalent to offering a nimble or a morsel of double chocolate cake instead of a full slice. I need more!

Does Writer's Digest offer a course / book ?

T.S.Bowman

CoF Challenge Host
WF Veterans
Mindy, you have Side Worlds on file. I may not be good at much, but I can do internal dialogue pretty well. Just look at the first few chapters and it will give you a decent idea of the mechanics.

Granted, I do it a little differently than most, but I think my style could at least work as a bit of a guide for you.

MzSnowleopard

WF Veterans
Yes I do and I have read - it seems like most of your internal monologue is more dialogue between 2 characters.

My problem is including the monologue in a 3rd person story without it becoming 1st person. I really don't like 1st person because most books I've read in this form do more telling rather than showing. The trick is to find the balance which I'm still looking for.

T.S.Bowman

CoF Challenge Host
WF Veterans
Hmmm...I am writing the story in third person...I think.

Dammit. Now you have me thinking it may be a problem.

MzSnowleopard

WF Veterans
Page 1 is a conversation. Although the first several lines are just dialogue, it's 2 people talking. It's not until later that we learn the MC is talking to another consciousness (character) in his own mind. When I saw the movie of The Host, it reminded me of Side Worlds- with the character connection.

MzSnowleopard

WF Veterans
It's based on the Stephanie Myer book of the same name. She actually wrote and published The Host before Twilight.... Yeah, that Myer...

I haven't read the book yet, K told me not to bother, she didn't think I'd like it ( this was well over a year ago)- I saw the movie and I enjoyed it enough that I bought the DVD. Which just goes to prove how well K knows me.

What I liked about The Host is the focus on character interaction. This is not your typical alien invasion story- If you go into it looking for a lot of action, explosions, etc you'll be disappointed- if you go into it looking for the character relations / interactions you'll be satisfied. Of course the book and the movie differ from each other. I haven't read the book... YET.

T.S.Bowman

CoF Challenge Host
WF Veterans
I have learned one thing about critics. Always be critical of them. The critics all thought Birdman was a great movie. We watched it a few weeks ago and it was incredibly dull.

MzSnowleopard

WF Veterans
They're just giving their opinions about something. The difference between a review and an opinion- reviews are paid for by newspapers & magazines.

MzSnowleopard

WF Veterans
I'm a happy camper, after years of the peer pressure to make my Gemini character as 2 people (twins) - because that's what most people do- someone FINALLY had something positive to say about my concept.

The concept is 1 guy with the ability to create a single duplicate of himself with Psionic energy.

from Jen, my editor- Now see - that's a unique take!

MzSnowleopard

WF Veterans
I have decided that, whether part one is done or not, I'm going to move on to part 2 of Prelude. In this segment we'll meet TJ the man who becomes Taurus. We'll also see Oracle restore his life. That's the only spoiler I'm giving up though.

I have a decent amount written already, I will post this once I've found and am ready to share. I want to tone down TJ. The way he was written originally was based on the old Will Smith = wise-cracking sarcasm. It's not working for me anymore, so I'm going to fine tune him / tone him down. Then I'll share.

Last edited:

MzSnowleopard

WF Veterans
And I'm back-tracking again. This is a pesky problem of mine. I'm trying to work on it- honest.

I have been contemplating suggestions regarding when Lynn takes in the Libra stone. The one that sticks to my thoughts on this, most, is the one suggesting it should be a moment of it's own- not a brief point just before the climax.

To quote the person, "Depict what happens to her when she does this. Since you've said there are changes that take place. There's got to be an adjustment period for her."

I can't argue with this logic. I will get to Taurus shortly- and tomorrow is another day. We'll see what comes with sunrise.

T.S.Bowman

CoF Challenge Host
WF Veterans
I'm a happy camper, after years of the peer pressure to make my Gemini character as 2 people (twins) - because that's what most people do- someone FINALLY had something positive to say about my concept.

The concept is 1 guy with the ability to create a single duplicate of himself with Psionic energy.

from Jen, my editor- Now see - that's a unique take!

People were seriously giving you crap because you weren't doing what everyone else does? Seems rather silly. It's not like you were trying to do something completely radical that no one would really understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.