Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Diet, what diet? (1 Viewer)

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I’m feeling pretty depressed about my weight at the moment. I was ill with a strange virus after Christmas which took a couple of months to clear then left me with post viral depression. I took comfort in food and am now suffering the consequences. I’m usually so self-disciplined, but when it comes to food I’m like a pig at the trough. I never used to be fat with a tractor size tyre round my mid drift. A little plump and cuddley but never fat!

I’ve tried various diets in the past, lost weight and then put it all back on again but never this much. Very few of my clothes fit me now and those that do make me look like a marquee…seriously. Last week I even resorted to looking in the maternity section! It was only the sniggers and strange looks cast in my direction from the young sales staff that prevented me trying the clothes on. Hangs head in shame…

I need some serious motivation because I need to lose at least 28lb by Christmas. Do you think this is feasible?

So what’s to be done?

Folks, I need your diet suggestions and low calorie recipes. I need to lose weight before I become a prize sow.

Have you lost weight? Please share your story.

Are you trying to lose weight at the moment and also need motivation and support?

Have you failed and would like to give it another shot?

I want to hear about your success and failures. Please…

Deleted member 56686

Retired Supervisor
WF Veterans
Well, after a bunch of diets in my own lifetime, the only one that ever really works is the one you're comfortable with. For me (and this is thanks to health reasons) that means cereal for breakfast, chicken or fish for dinner, and some fruit for desert and for snacks, maybe popcorn.

Whatever you do eat healthy. Don't fall for the fad diets.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Have you lost much weight, Stan? Health is certainly a wake-up call to lose weight.

Well, after a bunch of diets in my own lifetime, the only one that ever really works is the one you're comfortable with.

So true! This is why I am struggling. I'm not comfortable with any diet. And the only thing that motivates me is the fact that I am beginning to resemble

budda.jpg

When I sit at my computer

Loveabull

I've had a FitBit tracker for more than a year now and for me it works. There are a bunch of trackers out there. The only difference is cost and how many bells and whistles are included. I have a Flex, just basic...tracks my steps/calories burned and you can make a friend board and virtually compete with others. But there are a lot of people who try trackers and put them aside eventually.

It depends on how motivated someone is to exercise. If it's somebody active already it can be that visual boost to do those extra steps...extra miles whooohoooo... But I suppose for people who tend to get unmotivated it almost mocks them...you only walked 213 steps today...bah humbug. Like I said though it works for me. No special dieting, just staying more physically active than average.

My personal favorite weight loss aids-FitBit Flex, a well stocked MP3 player, and two big strong doggies that run me nightly.

Deleted member 56686

Retired Supervisor
WF Veterans
I probably lost about a hundred pounds total give or take. I was down to about 150 pounds at one point. I'm maybe up to about 165 now. I probably need to walk more.

My biggest thing is to stay away from sugars and high fat foods. The latter was hard to do for the longest time but after you get your health scare it seems a heck of a lot easier.

Now if only my mother could figure it out (she has high blood pressure, sugar, etc)

• Thanks
Reactions: PiP

Guy Faukes

WF Veterans
I think the best target for regular folk to lose is 2 pounds per month, as any more than that usually requires really excessive dieting and loss of water weight instead of fat. A series of small but comprehensive modifications to current diet, like habitually using less and less butter, sugar, oil and salt in diet is usually the best way to go for most people who aren't motivated to reduce their intake below 1500 calories. Drastic changes are most likely going to be unsustainable, afterall, food is comforting and pleasurable and shouldn't be anything different.

But I also find women are a bit too preoccupied with body image and weight and exaggerate how overweight they are. I honestly don't mind a woman with an appetite and a bit of cushion.

• Thanks

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
It depends on how motivated someone is to exercise. If it's somebody active already it can be that visual boost to do those extra steps...extra miles whooohoooo... But I suppose for people who tend to get unmotivated it almost mocks them...you only walked 213 steps today...bah humbug. Like I said though it works for me. No special dieting, just staying more physically active than average.

I was motivated to exercise when I was slimmer. Now, apart from pilates *I can still bend down and touch the floor* I find it more difficult to motivate myself to attend the zumba classes or swim. I've started swimming again this week and aim to do 20 lengths of the pool every day. I'm still psyching myself up to zumba as I have to go by myself and I'm the only English person there.

My personal favorite weight loss aids-FitBit Flex, a well stocked MP3 player, and two big strong doggies that run me nightly.

I'll check out the FitBit Flex. thanks :)

TKent

Retired Chief Media Manager
Hey Pip,

I have been doing a basic J.J. Virgin eating plan for 2 years now. Finally found the one that works for me. I've cut out gluten, sugar and dairy (99%) of the time. And carbs are limited to the complex low-glycemic variety (such as brown rice, sweet potato, quinoa, fruits, vegetables, lentils). For the first time in my adult life, I felt in control of my cravings and I attribute this to the effect this has had to stabilize my blood sugar. The great thing about it is you don't have to count calories, just eat the right things at the right time.

My exercise for the last 15 years was mainly tennis but I played constantly. Back in November, I got sciatica (OMG it hurts) and had to stop playing for about six weeks, and have not gone back to playing at the frequency I played before. So we've started walking several times a week to supplement.

And I do a 30 minute exercise routine a couple of times a week - literally in front of the bathroom mirror with weights - before I jump in the shower. Keeps the muscles sort of toned although with each year that passes my muscle tone seems to degenerate just a little more despite the weights. Getting old SUCKS BIG ONES.

Anyway, that is what has been working for me :)

• Thanks

Thaumiel

WF Veterans
Have you considered replacing personal exercise with a team sport? It could help if you struggle with motivation.

• Thanks

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
My son gave me a Fitbit and I like it, though I only use it to keep track of my steps per day. You can set it to whatever your goal is and increase it as you go. The only thing is that it startles me each time it buzzes to let me know I reached my goal steps.
Ii am not an overweight person, but it is harder to stay toned as you age. My most favorite thing to eat is salad with grilled chicken on it and red wine vinager for dressing. I never get tired of it and there are so many veggies you can use. Also, cutting out any added suger or highly processed foods.

• Thanks

Bevo

Two things work amazing and are not diets, it does require discipline but no real cost.

Math, good old math as used in the fit bit or countless diets, you heard it all before but now you need to follow it.
More calories means extra weight, less means less weight.

Phone app.
You need to track everything you eat once you set up your profile, it gets easier the more you do it. I have no weight issue but use it to track my protein and calories for sport.

myfittnesspal.com will get you there, it's free, set up your profile and enter your food as soon as you eat. Most of us eat the same foods daily so once imputed it's a simple click to ad.

As you use it you find you ate your calories by lunch then what? You adjust that's what, look at what you ate and find better options to get through the next day, use the app as a tool. After a while you will get into the math, less here to have that later or maybe this instead of that teaches you how to eat better.

Diets don't always work, this is not a diet, this is a tracker and a lesson on how to eat the right things. Cheesburger for lunch no problem, better have a slice of toast for breakfast and a apple for dinner. Wine sure, skip the chips at lunch, Starbucks latte,why not, just have salad latter.

A co worker just lost 45 pounds with this, no diet just discipline to stick to her daily calorie allowance.

• Thanks

Loveabull

The thing with "diets" that I find lacking is that it basically turns into a bad food vs. good food thing. You can lose weight avoiding no-no foods but sometime the pizza or ice cream will be calling to you...screaming in fact "You know where we are and you know you want us! Come on and live a little...".

Then there are diets that lose the weight, are very popular yet very unhealthy. I did a paper in college on high protein diets, notably Atkins. Sure you lose weight but stress, sometimes irreparably various organs, including your heart. I love pizza and ice cream can be a religious experience. But it's moderation on how much you eat, not what you eat, and daily, regular physical activity.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I probably lost about a hundred pounds total give or take. I was down to about 150 pounds at one point. I'm maybe up to about 165 now. I probably need to walk more.

My biggest thing is to stay away from sugars and high fat foods. The latter was hard to do for the longest time but after you get your health scare it seems a heck of a lot easier.

Now if only my mother could figure it out (she has high blood pressure, sugar, etc)

Wow, Mustard! 100lbs, I'm impressed! really impressed.

analyzing my diet it's probably sugars (chocolate and wine) that is my downfall. 100lb... you put me to shame. Well done, you!

Oops... just realised time. Will respond to everyone else later. thanks for tips... just off to airport!

Crowley K. Jarvis

WF Veterans
I bounce around 140 myself.I assume most of this is shifting water-weight.The rest is muscle. I have little to zero body fat, apparently I don't store it. Haha.

But, that's likely because of my activity levels. I walk A LOT. Miles a day. Run, jump, play, work out.

But if for some reason I adopt a less active lifestyle, and I failed to change my eating habits, I would gain a lot of weight. :D

am_hammy

WF Veterans
Ahhh, PiP, I feel your pain. I've been wanting to make a blog post about it, but motivation to write lately has been poo.

I've always struggled with my weight, but kept it steady through high school. After a bad break-up in college, I gained it all back and then some and was the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I'm a bit of an emotional eater and it's been a source of control for me. Because of my anxiety and depression, it was the easiest way for me to feel better because I could eat as much as I wanted, even though it was horrible for me. I actually started to feel the affects of it when I started to get heartburn all the time, headaches, and acid reflux. My cholesterol started to climb and my vitamin D levels were low. On top of all of that, my knee gave out on me at one point and now there's loose cartilage floating around. I've only just recently decided to really stick to a "diet" and start to lose weight.

Since April, I've lost 8 pounds. I haven't gone on any trend or anything like that though. I actually had a 3-session package with a nutritionist and had lost some weight in the course of a year and a half because of it, but it was more from stress and lack of taking care of myself. What stuck with me though was what I should cut out in my life. I've stayed away from processed food, no fast foot, cut my saturated fat down to 11-13 grams per day, 1000 or under mg of sodium, paying attention to the sugar and protein, and a major cut on caffeine (coffeeeee). I never really bothered with calorie counting. Sodium has been my biggest issue. You can become addicted to the salt and the preservatives and that's what would keep me eating. Sometimes I have a frozen dinner here or there, or some boxed treats, and I still occasionally go out to dinner. Other than that, I fresh grocery shop every several days and get basic things like chicken, rice, veggies, eggs, fruit, etc. and I cook off several meals all at once so I have them prepared.

That's another personal issue I have: preparation. It's difficult for me to find the time to prep things, but it really helps in the long run, otherwise you're eating junk and you can't properly space out your food. Some people say 3 meals a day, others say 6 just in smaller portions. You have to figure out what's best for you. For me, it's portion control and preparation that help me out the most. I've only recently started to walk again as a form of exercise until I get my knee sorted out. I also reserve a treat day for myself where I chose to have one or two things that I wouldn't have

Don't let this blip discourage you. Trust me, I know how you feel and sometimes I will sit there and yell at food and hate it because I feel like it controls my life, but it doesn't. It's there to sustain us, not kill us. Lemme know if you every need an accountability buddy. I'm right there with ya! One other thing I've learned from starting all this, is that it just takes time. Some habits are hard to kick but you gotta keep pushing through. Also remember that if you have slip-ups (like that one time I ate 8 cookies when I came home because I wasn't able to eat properly for lunch at work, then cried about it) that it's okay. We are human and we all have those days, but don't let them destroy you. A couple of mine have rocked me and I feel horrible, but you bounce back and you take as a learning process to find out what your body needs.

I hope that in some way bits of my story have helped you.

You can do this PiP! One step at a time. ^_^

• Thanks

Ariel

WF Veterans
I lost about ten pounds in a year giving up sodas and sweetened drinks. I gave myself some leeway--every Saturday I could have one high-fat, high-sugar drink. I usually chose Starbucks coffee. I had never been more well-hydrated in my life.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Thanks everyone for your encouragement, tips and support. I had written a lengthy response but using an unfamiliar laptop I pressed something and I lost the post and comment. *sigh* DOn't you just hate it when that happens! Anyway I've read and digested everyone's comment - no pun intended.

Ammy, you are my food twin! I'm right there with you. We can support each other and track our progress.

This week I've started by cutting bread out of my diet. Tough because I'm travelling at the moment but I'm determined not to cave in. Chocolate I've now replaced with 85% cocoa and higher if I can get it. Only one square per day :( Small steps

dither

WF Veterans
Thanks everyone for your encouragement, tips and support. I had written a lengthy response but using an unfamiliar laptop I pressed something and I lost the post and comment. *sigh* DOn't you just hate it when that happens! Anyway I've read and digested everyone's comment - no pun intended.

Ammy, you are my food twin! I'm right there with you. We can support each other and track our progress.

This week I've started by cutting bread out of my diet. Tough because I'm travelling at the moment but I'm determined not to cave in. Chocolate I've now replaced with 85% cocoa and higher if I can get it. Only one square per day :( Small steps

Pip,
over here in England women are jumping on the gluten-free bandwagon.
Although, seriously, one can lose too much weight too quickly. Apparently.

InstituteMan

WF Veterans
So, these days InstituteWoman is frustrated with weight issues. I think she's being silly. Eat well and move around some, and it's all good wherever you end up.

For us, eating well means no added sugars to food with only a very small number of exceptions. The exceptions are deserts for birthdays and vacations and a small piece the darkest chocolate we can buy for desert after dinner each night. We also go with whole grains as much as possible, and low carb as much as tolerable. Half the household is gluten free, but that is for celiac issues, not for weight issues. We also try to mostly eat what we make from scratch ourselves and avoid processed food.

In terms of activity, we don't exercise much, but we also don't sit until after dinner. We have standing desks for most of our paying work. I do most of my writing while standing. Once we get out of bed in the morning, we only sit for meals or to drive until/ride in a car until after dinner.

Are we slender little wisps of people? No, we definitely are not. I'm a solid 180 pounds at 6 feet tall; I'm not telling the metrics for my wife lest she read this thread over my shoulder sometime. What I can say about her, though, is that she's gorgeous. She's been a lot of different weights over the years of our marriage, and except for one medication induced weight gain (which was temporary) she wore them all well. I think that's because they were all the natural weight her body wanted to be at during the time she was that size. You just can't improve on what nature gave you, IMHO.