Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Did I get bad advice? (1 Viewer)

It is a fanfiction and is an AU based on 2 villains. I know fanfiction is sometimes considered not real writing but it did get me back writing after a few years and got me through the pandemic. The original idea starts with the two in a middle of a divorce. Let's call these people D & J and they both grew up together. They were each other's firsts in everything. D won't sign the papers but J is dating someone else. They have kids and one of the kids gets hurt when J leaves him alone with her new boyfriend to babysit (There is no one else to watch him and she's desperate.)

A big custody battle happens after that because J didn't break up with the boyfriend but there is a reason for it. D's brother dies suddenly and he played a big part in their lives. They grow closer because of this and J cheats on her boyfriend. They don't go all the way but D tells the boyfriend that J cheated on him and they revert back to how they were before the progress. Meanwhile, D's business is in trouble with leaks happening, project ideas getting stolen and they're losing control. They get paranoid and stop trusting everyone including J. Trying to get to the bottom of it, they start doing things they normally wouldn't do like miss their child's important day to go to a secret meeting to find out who is behind the leaks but it's a trap and both the child and D end up having medical emergencies on the same day.

Family members step in and force them to go away on vacation with the children so they can mend things and be better parents for them. They go away for a month and talk about all the issues that led to their divorce but a misunderstanding occurs and D signs the divorce papers as a gift for J. They go home and J's boyfriend has a surprise party set up. He proposes and she says yes.

D goes on their own journey and learns what they really want out of life and changes their business around, learns how they became they were and shakes off their father's control on their life. Meanwhile, J has been plotting revenge against the boyfriend who hurt her kid and also finds out the boyfriend has been using her to get close to D and steal information from their business for a competitor that he has been working for.

D has treated J like she was stupid in the past which also did contribute to their divorce so she doesn't tell them what's happening. She tricks her boyfriend into signing over his shares to the company he's been secretly working for by hiding the document within the martial agreement papers.

J also finds out that the rival company also killed D's brother so that his shares would go to D and when D&J divorced, J would get half of those so were using her to try and steal those away from the company.

The day of the wedding, D tries to stop it when they find out the boyfriend is working for the competitor, but J reveals everything at the altar, never having intended to go through with it but wanted to publicly embarrass the boyfriend like he embarrassed her and tells him that she took everything from him. There is an epilogue where D&J get remarried.

The whole point is J developing the skills and proving that she is self-sufficient and able to do this which does work for these characters because in the show, they do murder people and do terrible things but I scaled that back to a more modern universe

The advice I got was not to do any of the above but have them cheat together, go to marriage therapy, dump the boyfriend and find out who the leak was in an anti-climatic kind of way.

Is that what I should do?

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
It's your story. Tell it the way you see it!

Personally, I gravitate to the corporate thriller aspects of this story. You lost me on "they do murder people and do terrible things." If you scaled that back, great. If there is just the one murder that could be intriguing. Especially if it remains a mystery for most of the story.

But I like your ideas. I'm always looking for stories about industry and business. They are few and far between. But I'm curious. How is this fanfiction?

It's your story. Tell it the way you see it!

Personally, I gravitate to the corporate thriller aspects of this story. You lost me on "they do murder people and do terrible things." If you scaled that back, great. If there is just the one murder that could be intriguing. Especially if it remains a mystery for most of the story.

But I like your ideas. I'm always looking for stories about industry and business. They are few and far between. But I'm curious. How is this fanfiction?
Hey! Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I like to go down the drama/thriller route in my stories, so when I got that advice, I couldn't wrap my head around it or agree with it.

There is going to be one murder but it's D's brother and even then, it's kind of hinted towards and evidence is given as to why they think it happened.

Oh, it's based on 2 characters in a tv show. I'm writing this story in their tag on a fanfic website. One of the writers on there I told the ending to which was the above, said it wasn't good and just go down the route of therapy which is kind of boring. It might be realistic but it feels boring.

Last edited: