Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Dialing Up - Scene 1 (1 Viewer)

Like most of the population, I talk on the phone a lot, and usualy with at least three other people on too, and sometimes that gets a little chaotic what with switching lines, flash, busy signals, accidentaly getting cut off and having to call everybody back in a certain order, because if one person gets cut off, everyone before them gets cut off too...... stuff like that. So one day I thought to myself while I was on the phone hm.... wouldn't this make an interesting plot for a one act play. The whole show is played out while people are on the phone, and yet so much happens. People's secrets come out, lies are uncovered, and all sorts of things could happen! It might be a stupid idea, but I just wanted to try it. Tell me what you think. Here's the basis of what I have so far for the plot. Robbie and Trish are friends. Robbie likes Trish who is very ditsy, but Trish is already going out with zach, who used to be friends with Robbie and supposedly they still are, but conversations are very awkward between these two now. Robbie's "best friend" is the overly controlling Crystal who secretly likes him. Crytal doesn't want Robbie tlaking to anyone but her, especially Tish who she knows Robbie likes. Friends with Crystal is Tara who pretends to be Crystal's business associate type friend, but really wants nothing more than Robbie and Tish to get together. Robbie's only sane friend is Adam who always seems to be in control despite the troubles intermingeling between this group of friends. Oh, by the way, to complicate things even further, he likes Crystal. Ughh! Confusing I know, but when all these people are on the phone together spilling their guts and dramas, it makes for great comedy. At one point crystal accidental hears in on a conversation between Robbie and Tish. Add to this an incompetent waiter and a strange girl Crystal meets in a restaurant one night, the only character in thep lay who don't talk on ap hone the whole time, and you've got a crazy love pentagon and phone bills sky high. It might suck, but it might not. Tell me what you think. I'll write scene two tommorrow.

SCENE: THE STAGE IS DIVIDED INTO THREE DIFFERENT SECTION. STAGE RIGHT SERVES AS ROBBIE'S HOUSE. DOWNSTAIRS WE SEE THE BASICS OF A LIVING ROOM- COUCH, TELEVISION SET, COFFEE TABLE, ETC. IN THE BACK WE SEE A STAIRCASE LEADING UP TO HIS ROOM WHICH HAS THE BASICS OF A BEDROOM- BED, TV, DRESSER, ETC. PRETTY SIMPLE SET. STAGE LEFT IS FURTHER DIVIDED INTO TWO MORE SECTIONS. PART OF IT IS A RESTAURANT, A SMALL CAFE TYPE PLACE, VERY FORMAL. A DOOR LEADS TO THE WOMEN'S BATHROOM. EACH SECTION OF THE STAGE IS DIVIDED FROM THE OTHERS BY A COLUMN SORT OF THING IN WHICH WE SEE TELEPHONE WIRES. AT RISE, WE SEE ONLY ROBBIE'S HOUSE, LATE ONE NIGHT. TISH IS DOWNSTAIRS PACING, HOLDING A CELL PHONE UP TO HER EAR; WE HEAR IT DIALING. WE HEAR ROBBIE'S VOICE AS HE PICKS UP.

Robbie - Hello?

Tish - Robbie? It's Tish. Oh, this is a bad time isn't it? Did I wake you?

Robbie - No, of course not. Most people you'll find stay up way past three-thrity in hopes that the phone will ring.

Tish - Are you being...... what's the word?

Robbie - Sarcastic?

Tish - That's it!

Robbie - No. It's fine. Had it been someone else though I might have hung up.

Tish - Aw, that's sweet, no.... I was wondering....

Robbie - (hopefull) Yeah?

Tish - I was wondering......

Robbie - (getting down right giddy) Yeah yeah yeah?!

Tish - Which door is yours?

Robbie - Of course I'll...... what?

Tish - Well, god forbid I should go thorugh the wrong door only to discover......it's late. I won't go into that right now.

Robbie - But...... where are you?

Tish - You're living room.

Robbie - My living room?

Tish - Yeah. Right next to the couch. You know, you really should think about getting it cleaned. There are all these stains of a...... questionalbe nature, but it's late so I won't go into that right now.

Robbie - How did you get my key?

Tish - Tara gave it to me.

Robbie - I take it Crystal doesn't know about this.

Tish - Well, what she doesn't know can't melt her.

Robbie - I'm not sure if that would be such a bad thing.

(the two laugh, followed by an awkward silence)

Tish - Is there a problem with me being in your house? I mean, it's not something I normaly do, breaking into people's houses.

Robbie - No no! It's fine. I just wish I was there, you know?

Tish - No. I'm afraid I don't.

Robbie - Never mind. My room is the......

Tish - Wo wo wo! aren't you gonna ask me why I'm here? I mean, strangers in your house at all questionalbe hours of the nightsnooping around your doors, furniture...... questionalbe stains! You know, you really should have this ocuch looked at.

Robbie - Well, you're hardly a stranger Tish. I think I can trust you.

Tish - Aw, that's so sweet, no...... if you must know, I'm getting something for Zach. he left his gym bag here a few days ago.

Robbie - (devastated) Oh. Up the stairs, second door on the left.

Tish - What's in the first?

Robbie - Items of a questionalbe nature.

(the two laugh followed by another awkward silence)

Robbie - So, uh......

(beep)

Tish - OO! OO! Call waiting! Hold on!

(switches lines)

Tish - Hello?

Zach - hey baby, you got it?

Tish - No. I'm still working on it.

Zach - Where are you?

Tish - The couch.

Zach - Where?

Tish - Robbie's couch. You should see the stains he has on it.

Zach - Oh. Is he on?

Tish - Yeah. You want to talk to him?

Zach - No. That's okay. I'll......

Tish - Hold on. I'll go get him.

Zach - No no! Don't......

(Tish switches lines back to Robbie)

Tish - Robbie?

Robbie - Yeah?

Tish - Someone wants to talk to you.

Robbie - Who?

Tish - Zach.

Robbie - I gotta go.

Tish - Oh no you don't! Not at this questionalbe point in the conversation! Besides, you two are buddies right?

Robbie - (unsure) Yeah, but......

Tish - Hold on! I'll go get him!

Robbie - No!

(Tish switches back to Zach)

Tish - Zach? You there?

Zach - Tish, don't......

(click back to Robbie)

Tish - Robbie, you there?

Robbie - Tish, don't......

Tish - Connecting!

(click)

Tish - There! Now we're all together!

(silence)

Tish - Hello? Zach? Robbie?

Robbie - Zach?

Zach - Robbie?

Tish - Tish? Oh wait......

(laugh; silence)

Tish - You were saying Robbie?

Robbie - I was?

Tish - The door?

Robbie - Oh oh! The door! Up the stairs, second door on the left.

Zach - You mean second door on the right.

Robbie - No. I mean second door on the left. I think I know my way around my own house.

Zach - Ah, but you foget, I have been there.

Robbie - Ah, but you forget I do live there.

Tish - I'm there right now!

(silence)

Tish - I just thought you'd like to know. In case you forgot.

Zach - It's on the right. Being stuck in that dorm room must have done something to oyur brain.

Robbie - Well, you don't have to worry about that. After all, you didn't get accepted to college.

(while this has been going on, Tish has made her way up the stairs to Robbie's room where she is hastily searching, making a mess as she goes along)

Tish - Hm... I can't see mto find it zach.

Zach - Find what?

Tish - Your gym bag.

Zach - Oh, that. It's fine baby. Don't worry about it.

Tish - Can't imagine what could have happened to it. OO! I know! i'll call Christy!

Robbie and Zach - NO!!!!!!

Robbie - I mean, it's too late to call her. Find it yet?

Tish - nope.

Robbie - Wait there. I'm on my way.

Zach - No. If anyone shuld come over it should be me.

Robbie - No really, I insist.

Zach - No really, I insist.

Tish - You can both come!

(silence)

Robbie - On second thought, it is pretty late.

Zach - A questionable hour.

(pause)

Tish - (by now, she has made her way back downstairs and has been rumaging through the couch; she sticks her head out from under it) Oh! Here it is! You'll never guess where I found it!

Robbie - Where?

Tish - Under the couch!

Robbie - So it wasn't even in my room at all.

Tish - No. Oh, and by the way Robbie, it is the second door on the right.

Zach - See? What did I tell you?

Robbie - Oh. Well of course I'm wrong. I always am.

Tish - Oh, there's a stain on the strap. Robbie, how old is this couch?

Robbie - I don't know. Two years maybe?

Tish - That's what I was afraid of. Where ae your cleaning products.

Robbie - Why don't you ask Zach? he seems to know my house better than I do. After all...... wait, what?

Tish - Cleaning products. I figured while I'm here why not pick up two rocks with one bird.

Robbie - That's kill tw obirds with one stone.

Tish - I know, but that version is so violent. Why would anyone want to kill a bird? Especially with two stones!

Robbie - I never thought about it that way.

Tish - Neither did Zach at first, but then he saw the light. That's what I love so much about my Zach. He's so adaptable.

Robbie - Yes. Just like a fuse box, but we all know what happens to them when it storms. Right Zach?

(silence)

Zach? Hm. I guess he hung up. Oh well.

Tish - Hung up? No. Not my Zach. He probably just got disconnected. Hold on. I'll call him back.

Robbie - No! I mean, it's late. he probably had a good reason for getting off. Maybe his faviorate TV came on.

Tish - At four o clock in the morning?

Robbie - YOu'd be surprised what shows come on at four in the morning especially geared to the college mind set. If you know what I mean.

Tish - No. I'm afraid I don't. Well, it's getting late, actually, it's getting early, but that's beside the point. I think I'm gonna go. There's a six a.m. sale at the linen loft, and me and Zach are going to be the first ones in line! Bye Robbie! Thanks for talking!

Robbie - Bye. Oh, Tish, I wanted to ask you......

(we hear a click sound as she hangs up; she puts the cushion back on the couch and walks off; a few seconds later she walks back on, and takes the gym bag which she forgot and alks off; the lights go out)

Last edited: