Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Dia dhuit! (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone, brand new member here so I thought I might introduce myself. I'm a 22yr old amateur author from rural Scotland, currently working from home (yay!)
Writing has been my constant companion since I can remember, although I've never held aspirations of a becoming best-selling author or to even publish any of my work. As such, I've never had any formal training or done any courses/workshops on writing, so I'll admit I'm a bit nervous to be here - but I love doing my own research (I feel like it's half the battle) and learning anything new is always a fun pastime.
I started my current project 3 years ago for the reason I think many authors do - I couldn't find the perfect book to read that filled all of my wants and expectations, so I decided to write it myself! Needless to say that it has somewhat spiralled out of control since then, and it's now turned into a much larger (and longer!) project than I thought it would be - but isn't that always the way?
I'm very excited to meet some of you and hear your 'tips and tricks', and hope you won't mind if I stumble trying to navigate my first forum!
Oidhche mhath!

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Hi everyone, brand new member here so I thought I might introduce myself. I'm a 22yr old amateur author from rural Scotland, currently working from home (yay!)
Writing has been my constant companion since I can remember, although I've never held aspirations of a becoming best-selling author or to even publish any of my work. As such, I've never had any formal training or done any courses/workshops on writing, so I'll admit I'm a bit nervous to be here - but I love doing my own research (I feel like it's half the battle) and learning anything new is always a fun pastime.

Hi Coflemingo, welcome to WF and our creative community! Please don't be nervous we are a friendly group from keen novice to multi-published author. We all muck in and help each other :)

Please tell us about your current project. What genre and what was the inspiration behind the project?

Thanks PiP, I'm already discovering lots of interesting stuff here!

I'm currently writing in the fantasy genre with an emphasis on historical events and cultures. I guess it would go into the 'Heroic Fantasy' and 'Grimdark' subgenres (I think?). Although the story revolves mainly around one character's journey and evolution, at it's heart, it's a political thriller. The original inspiration came from the centuries-long relationship (and power-struggle) between the two nations of England and Scotland. I don't want to get into politics here but there are themes of oppression and eventual liberation - in this regard I also took inspiration from the events during the French Revolution.

As it currently stands, I believe it will be a trilogy, but who knows?

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I'm currently writing in the fantasy genre with an emphasis on historical events and cultures. I guess it would go into the 'Heroic Fantasy' and 'Grimdark' subgenres (I think?). Although the story revolves mainly around one character's journey and evolution, at it's heart, it's a political thriller. The original inspiration came from the centuries-long relationship (and power-struggle) between the two nations of England and Scotland. I don't want to get into politics here but there are themes of oppression and eventual liberation - in this regard I also took inspiration from the events during the French Revolution.

Sounds an interesting plot!