Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Describe Your Voice Or Aspirations For Your Voice In One Sentence (1 Viewer)

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
I want a voice with adequate poetry to break clinical perfection, warm enough to invite the reader, sharp enough to bleed them when necessary, sufficiently clinical for a grounding in reality, gauzy about the edges to sell the idea of broken people who honestly and genuinely love one another, light enough for hope, dark enough for honest doubt, a Dutch Master's sense for color and detail, straightforward that a young child with marginal reading ability may grasp the procession of the narrative if not its weight...all aged seven years in an oak cask with the knowing that none of this is new or original while still managing to pass on the marvel and wonder of things against one should conceivably be jaded.

Also, leftover pizza. But this may not be the place for that.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I want a voice with adequate poetry to break clinical perfection, warm enough to invite the reader, sharp enough to bleed them when necessary, sufficiently clinical for a grounding in reality, gauzy about the edges to sell the idea of broken people who honestly and genuinely love one another, light enough for hope, dark enough for honest doubt, a Dutch Master's sense for color and detail, straightforward that a young child with marginal reading ability may grasp the procession of the narrative if not its weight...all aged seven years in an oak cask with the knowing that none of this is new or original while still managing to pass on the marvel and wonder of things against one should conceivably be jaded.
Many of us are awaiting a novel from you, JBF, and it needs to be written, in its entirety, in the style of this paragraph (erm ... sentence). That will allow me to read one paragraph, consider its depth, meaning, and esthetics for a week, and then read the next paragraph. It will be a lovely journey, just don't make the book so long that I run out of weeks!

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
Many of us are awaiting a novel from you, JBF, and it needs to be written, in its entirety, in the style of this paragraph (erm ... sentence). That will allow me to read one paragraph, consider its depth, meaning, and esthetics for a week, and then read the next paragraph. It will be a lovely journey, just don't make the book so long that I run out of weeks!

No promises. Especially if you're after depth and meaning. ;)

KeganThompson

I want a voice that is clean, a bit straightforward, but interesting,a dash of wit sprung throughout but most importantly, I want to craft a voice that can pull the reader in, build them up and drag them down and make the reader feel what the MC is feeling, not read what they are feeling.

Last edited:

KatPC

@KeganThompson is that 4 sentences? I pretend I didn't understand @TheMightyAz original post ...

I wish to develop my voice so that it is able to take you away from this world, and into mine; to transport, to capture the senses so you believe in this alternate reality, to stress over these real made-up circumstances that when you fall asleep and wake up the next day, all you can think about is ... What happened to Kat?

KeganThompson

@KeganThompson is that 4 sentences? I pretend I didn't understand @TheMightyAz original post ...

I wish to develop my voice so that it is able to take you away from this world, and into mine; to transport, to capture the senses so you believe in this alternate reality, to stress over these real made-up circumstances that when you fall asleep and wake up the next day, all you can think about is ... What happened to Kat?
Oops...I didn't see the "one sentence part" of the post. I was probably multitasking and read over it 😆

***Fixed it

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
I want a voice that suggests Jane-Austen-meets-Fantasy-Dragonland; the sort of voice a man with a monocle, modest wealth, and a broken heart might possess.

For my sci-fi, I want a voice that speaks to the city at night, a solitary soul lost in washes of neon rain.