Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Dean Koontz, anyone? (1 Viewer)

LoneWolf

I have found another world of wonder and scariness. Though he's not as twisted as Stephen King, his books are a combo of the supernatural, real life drama, action, and mystery. I absolutely love him. My friend gave me a book of his to read---House of Thunder---and ever since I've been a Dean Koontz junkie!

LoneWolf

I just finished The Mask a few days ago. It was great...he's brillant for thinking up all these different story plots!

Talia_Brie

I got right into Dean Koontz a few years ago. I inhaled Strangers, Lightning, Whispers, Icebound, Twilight Eyes, Cold Fire, Watchers, and a heap of others.

I even read a Dean Koontz Companion :shock: In accordance with Australian Privacy legislation, that's bordering on stalking.

I haven't read him for a while, but I read The Taking a few months ago. It was brilliant for the first 95%, then the ending was really, really disappointing. I think that typified my problems with him. I think he ends poorly.

Kelhanion

I've read only one of his books, The Taking, and I must say I was very positively surprised. The book had a very nice atmosphere from the very beginning, when the luminous, silvery rain began.

I must disagree with Talia Brie, I liked the ending a lot. It was something I didn't see coming (then again I know that it wasn't the ending everyone would've liked to see).

Highlight for the huge spoiler:

Especially this passage was brilliant:

An extraterrestial species, hundreds or thousands of years more advanced than we are, would possess technology that would appear to us to be not the result of applied science but entirely supernatural, pure magic.
With the stick, Molly began to print words in the sand, calling them from memory.
New thought: A supernatural event of world-shaking proportions, occuring in a faithless time when only science is believed to have the power to work miracles, might appear to be the work of an extraterrestial species hundreds or even thousands of years more advanced than we are.

Spoiler ends.

I will definately pick up some other of his books later.

aliceedelweiss

Dean koontz writes so good. He scares the heck out of me too, which I like and don't like. It scares me so much I don't want to even finish the story(i'm reading his book "flase memories") but he writes so good I wish i would just finish it! my mom bought me like 9 of his books at a used book sell, so I'll be reading a lot of Koontz whether it scares me or not, hee hee
alice

Craiglet

I'm madly in love with Dean Koontz's books!!!!!!!!

I've read:

Watchers - brilliant, absoloutely loved it

Phantoms - i was obsessed with this book. could have used less satanic stuff but it was super good

Tick Tock - funny and wildly entertaining

The Face of Fear - didn't quite finish it, but it held your attention

Midnight - cool idea, scary, the regressive are terrifying monsters

From the Corner of His Eye - :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

By the Light of the Moon - i read it in like two days. loved it. awesome.

Life Expectancy - currently reading, very good.

LoneWolf

awesome!! More Dean Koontz people!

I'm currently reading Mr. Murder, which is starting to get really good. Some of the lines he writes too...it makes me hope to be a great writer like him one day.

Talia_Brie

LoneWolf said:
awesome!! More Dean Koontz people!

I'm currently reading Mr. Murder, which is starting to get really good. Some of the lines he writes too...it makes me hope to be a great writer like him one day.

I found Mr Murder predictable, though the Face of Fear was good.

BookLover

I think I will make a few enemies here!

I read 'By the light of the moon' and was utterly disappointed. Horror is not one of my favourite genres and Dean is not one of my favourite authors.

The book started off with a great note! But, the ending was so bollywoodish (Almost all Indian movies have a bad climax!) that I decided not to read any other Dean book.

May be I chose a wrong book as my first Dean book.

1DarkMind

I discovered Dean Koontz with Hideaway, and ever since I've been reading and collecting his books. I agree that Mr. Murder was probably the weakest book written.
In a way he's better than King, you get to know each character as you read through the story, unlike King who, from the books I've read, tends to drone on a little, but I'm knocking King at all, I just like a story that has a little more pace to it.

Dean Koontz is annother author I enjoy reading. I'm currently reading "The Face". A decent novel so far. I've got another I'm borrowing, and am looking into purchasing some of my own.

LoneWolf

Finished Mr. Murder...good, but not one of my faves from him. He has a new book out and I wanna read that soon.

Has anyone noticed that he uses the word 'loath' a lot?

Talia_Brie

1DarkMind said:
In a way he's better than King, you get to know each character as you read through the story, unlike King who, from the books I've read, tends to drone on a little. . .

I will hold my tongue

I will hold my tongue

I will hold my tongue

I will hold my tongue. . .

D

donjose444

I enjoy his books and have read many of them. I highly recommend:
Fear Nothing
Seize the Night
Dark Rivers of the Heart
From the Corner of His Eye

discipleofWORD

Even though I never read Dean Koontz before, may I offer a Family Guy moment? (got this from someone's signature)

Peter: Oh my gosh, I ran over Stephen King!
Dean: I'm Dean Koontz.
Peter: Oh.
*Peter gets back in his car and runs over Dean Koontz some more*

DOW

Lobe

I've not yet been able to get into Koontz, I am however very fond of his good friend the late Richard Laymon - who wrote some incredibly nasty (but oh so readable) books.