Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Dave Duncan Opinions (1 Viewer)

Kimahri

Just wondering if anyone has read any of his King's Blade books? I read the premise for the first book in that series and it seemed interesting but I wanted to see if anyone else has read anything of his and can give me a thumbs up or down. Thanks

kimahri

S

Sapphire

D'oh! I had a whole good post written out, and then my browser went nuts and I lost it! :mad: Stupid Safari. I'm tempted to go stomping right back to IE. Anyway... the gist of what I'd said was...

I'm reading them right now. The first book was pretty good. It had a lot of action-adventure and some politics. The rest of the books seem to have progressively less action (unless you count the... erm... nocturnal action) and significantly more politics. I'm more into the sword fighting and less into the machiavellian schemes, so I'm enjoying them less and less.

As for the reading order, he says that the first three can be read in any order. Don't do it! I highly suggest that you read them in the order in which they were written (The Gilded Chain, Lord of the Fire Lands and Sky of Swords). I finished the 2nd book scratching my head in a state of utter confusion, but the 3rd book did, in deed, clear things up for me in the end. However, I didn't like the ending. It felt like a cop-out to me, like he cheated us out of a decent ending.

Overall, they're pretty good, in my oh so humble opinion. Better though for persons who have a head for politics.

This time I'm copying my reply, just in case I lose it again!

Kimahri

Thanks for the reply Sapphire. I also prefer alot of action in the books I read especially in fantasy, but I also enjoy the politics involved in a story. I will definitely read it in order and thank you for mentioning the first three names. I actually thought Sky of Swords was the first one. Thanks again.

kimahri