Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Dark Water (1 Viewer)

Reilly Hall

[disc:b5a44b2e63]Violence, language[/disc:b5a44b2e63]
[an:b5a44b2e63]This is a horror script I worked on and then stopped for some reason. I'll probably pick it back up when I'm bored.[/an:b5a44b2e63]
EXT. CEMETARY - NIGHT

RYAN, a young man in his twenties, walks through the cemetery.

RYAN
C'mon. How long am I supposed to wait out here?

Ryan stops at a tree and leans against it.

RYAN
Every time.

Rustling is heard. Ryan turns around and a figure, MOE, is seen walking in the shadows.

RYAN
Cripes, man. I've been out here for almost an hour. Five more minutes and I was heading out.

The figure walks closer.

RYAN
Cat got your tongue there, Moe?

The moon peeks from behind the clouds, revealing Moe's face. Scars line the cheeks and mucous runs from his eyes and nose. Ryan takes a step backward.

RYAN
Christ man, are you okay? We should get you to a hospital or something.

Suddenly Moe advances on Ryan, his mouth opening. Several of his teeth look chipped or broken. The movement catches Ryan by surprise and he falls backward over a headstone. Scrambling to get to his feet, Moe continues to stalk forward.

RYAN
Easy Moe, you're freaking me out. I don't want to hurt you.

Moe finally speaks. He sounds like he'd been gargling with gravel.

MOE
Hurt me boy? Remember those words as you crawl about this place in search of your eyes.

RYAN
What'd you take man? I'm out of here. Call me after you've come down.

MOE
Do not walk away from me!

Moe lunges forward, swiping at Ryan's jacket and tearing away a swatch.

RYAN
To hell with this!

Ryan turns and runs from Moe. In the background we can hear him jeering.

MOE (O.S.)
Your sinew will snap! Your bones will shatter!

At this, Ryan turns his head to look behind him. As he turns back around, he almost runs into a small headstone. Vaulting it, he lands on a tree root on the other side, spraining his ankle. Hearing Moe's approach, he looks around and sees a groundskeeper's shed. He crawls towards it.

MOE (O.S.)
I can smell your fear! It will be over soon!

Ryan leans back on the shed, gasping.

RYAN
What the hell?

He looks around and spots a rusted shovel. He takes hold of it. Moe's footsteps get closer.

RYAN
Back off, I don't want to hurt you!

Moe rounds the corner of the shed.

MOE
I told you once, boy-

Moe is cut off as Ryan swings the shovel in an upward arc. The edge imbeds in his forehead. He slumps to the ground. Ryan lets go and gasps, looking at his hands.

RYAN
Jesus, what have I done?

Ryan steps backward, limping. He leaves. Just as he walks through the exit gates, we can hear Moe.

MOE
You will not get far, boy!

Ryan turns to look at the graveyard in exasperation. He hobbles away.

INT. RYAN'S APARTMENT

Ryan sits on a couch, talking into the phone.

RYAN
I tell you Sue, the guy was nuts.

SUE
Okay, wait, start over. You're saying Moe did what?

RYAN
The guy had friggin' goo running from every orifice in his head. He was saying how he was going to eat my spleen or some damn thing. He freaked me out and I think I might of hurt him pretty bad.

SUE
Ryan, take a breath. I think you've been sampling your sales a bit. Moe's been with me the entire day. He's crashed on the couch for about the last two hours.

RYAN
There's no way! He was there Sue. I didn't just huck a shovel into some stranger's head.

There's a pause.

SUE
You what?

RYAN
I was trapped, and Moe, well whoever it was, he just kept coming. He was yelling these things at me. I hit him in the head with a shovel, and it went... in.

SUE
Whoa, slow down. What do you mean it went "in"?

RYAN
(Yells)
It went into his fucking head, Sue! What do you think I mean?

SUE
Do I want to hear this Ryan? Am I going to be telling this to the cops an hour from now?

RYAN
No. He, he was alright.

SUE
What do you mean, "he was alright"? If I had a shovel in my head, I'd be pretty much the opposite of "all right".

RYAN
He was still jeering at me when I left. "I'll tear your gizzard out" or some bloody thing.

SUE
Christ. Maybe you're not the one who's hopped up tonight. We should go check it out.

RYAN
I don't know. If he's still there I don't know what we'll do.

SUE
Whoever it is, I don't think they stuck around too long. Let's go check it out. I'll come pick you up, alright? Just give me a minute.

RYAN
Alright, I'll be here.

EXT. RYAN'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

SUE's car pulls up, Ryan gets in.

SUE
You look like hell.

RYAN
Feels like that's where I was. Let's just get this over with. Maybe it was just a pipe-dream. Here's hoping anyway.

The car pulls away.

EXT. CEMETARY - NIGHT
Sue and Ryan walk through the cemetery.

SUE
So what happened?

RYAN
Okay, I was leaning on this tree when that psycho came at me. When I realized he was bad news I ran this way.

They walk through the headstones.

RYAN
This is where I must've looked back, 'cause I nailed that headstone. Ankle still kills. Anyway, I start crawling this way when I hear him coming for me. Look, there's the shed I hid next to.

SUE
Damn, you're lucky the shack didn't fall on you before the crazy got a chance to get here.

Ryan doesn't laugh.

RYAN
The shovel was right about-

The shovel leans against the wall, in the original position.

SUE
See? No lunatic, no shovel-based assaults. Feel better? No more bong-hits for you young man.

Ryan leans down and looks around the area.

RYAN
There's no way. It wasn't a dream; it couldn't have been. Look!

Ryan grabs the shovel and lifts it. Black sludge can be seen on the edge.

SUE
Jesus, put that down!

RYAN
Look! This is what was coming out of that guy's face!

SUE
Uh huh. I think you killed a scarecrow, man. That crap looks like rotting leaves or something. Smells like it too. It's a cemetery, that could be
anything. Shovels tend to get used in places like this.

RYAN
No. Something's not right. I'm telling you Sue, I'm not crazy, okay? I wouldn't just make stuff like this up.

SUE
Well, either way, we don't need to worry about it for tonight. Let's go get you to bed. We can talk about black-blooded baddies in the morning.

Ryan looks at the shovel, unconvinced.

RYAN
Alright. Hey, thanks for coming out here.

SUE
No problem, you'd do the same. Just don't call me again tonight, okay?

RYAN
Deal.

They walk away. The view moves in the opposite direction and scattered footsteps are seen in the mud. Every few steps, black sludge is spattered on the ground.

INT. RYAN'S APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM

Ryan sleeps on the sofa, tossing.

FADE TO:

INT. PRISON CELL

Ryan kneels, shackled to a wall in a dank, dark cell. The floor is littered and wails are heard in the background. A voice is heard, but it is too dark to see where it comes from.

VOICE
Wake up, Walker, you've rested long enough.

RYAN
"Rest" would not be what I called it.

VOICE
That is no concern of mine. Do you have what we need?

RYAN
I have told you all that I am willing. You will get no more from me.

VOICE
You may believe that, but understand that belief and reality are separate entities. We must have the secrets you hold.

RYAN
I would die first.

VOICE
We know this. That is why we have obtained another means of... negotiation.

RYAN
And what do you bring to me, devil?

VOICE
Incentive.

A rusted creak is heard as the door of the cell opens slightly, and a woman and child are ushered in.

VOICE
Tell us how you survived, Walker. Tell us how you were able to lay waste to our soldiers and drink of our water without your life's forfeit.

RYAN
I have always been a hearty sort.

VOICE
Enough of your insolence!

An unseen force separates the child and his mother. The child screams and the woman stifles a cry. Ryan looks exhausted.

RYAN
I do not know what you wish me to say, sorcerer. I drank from the pool, I have killed in defense, but I have not done anything to which another man has not.

VOICE
But yet you live! Why?

RYAN
I do not know!

VOICE
You will.

The sound of a knife being unsheathed echoes across the cell, but is not seen. Ryan does see it. The child gasps.

RYAN
No!

CUT TO:

INT. RYAN'S APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM

Ryan, from sleep, bolts upright on the couch, sweating and catching his breath. He looks around the room, getting his bearings. He slumps back against the couch.

RYAN
I've got to get some air.

Ryan rises from the couch and leaves the apartment.

EXT. CITY STREET - NIGHT
Ryan walks along the sidewalk. He passes by stores long since closed. As he closes on a park, a struggle can be heard.

KRISTIN
Help! Somebody!

Ryan stops. He looks around, but doesn't see anybody else.

RYAN
What a night.

He runs towards the park, all the while the screaming getting louder. Upon reaching the center, he sees a man holding KRISTIN, a young woman, against a wall. She is bleeding from her nose and tries to unhand her attacker, who is holding her by her shirt collar.

MAN
Hold still!

RYAN
Let her go! I've had a really bad night. Get out of here before it gets worse.

KRISTIN
Thank god! Get him off me!

MAN
Hey hey, it's not what it looks like.

RYAN
Yeah, I've heard that before.

Ryan smashes the mugger across the face, knocking him to the ground. He scrambles up and gives a backward glance as he runs away cursing.

RYAN
You okay?

He reaches out to check the cut on her cheek, she pulls away.

KRISTIN
Yeah. Thanks. I'm sorry... I just need to get home.

Kristin pulls a flask out of her pant pocket and takes a shot.

RYAN
I'm out for a walk anyway. You want company?

KRISTIN
Not really. I've had all the "company" I want today. Besides, it's pretty far.

RYAN
Oh? Just how far?

KRISTIN
(Hesitates)
A half hour car ride.

RYAN
What? How did you get here then?

KRISTIN
He was my ride.

RYAN
Ah. Well, listen. I've got a place about five minutes from here if you want. I'll take the couch and at least you know you can trust me more than
your last chauffeur. Besides, I've had a pretty rough night too, I won't try anything.

Kristin looks unhappy with her choices.

KRISTIN
I don't really have much of a choice. You'd better watch yourself though. After getting pawed by that bastard I won't take anymore bullshit.

RYAN
Fair enough. Here.

Ryan puts his coat around her. They exit the park.

INT. RYAN'S APARTMENT

The apartment is bare except for a small table, a couch and some pizza boxes. Ryan walks in and pulls the chain of a small hanging light.

RYAN
Home sweet home.

Kristin looks around. She's hesitant to say what she's thinking.

KRISTIN
It's cozy.

Ryan laughs.

RYAN
I know what you're thinking. I like it this way, I've always been kind of a minimalist.

KRISTIN
It's not bad, really.

Ryan takes the coat back and enters the kitchen.

RYAN
You hungry?

KRISTIN
A little. My dinner date didn't go the way I'd thought.

Kristin takes a shot from her flask while Ryan looks in the fridge.

RYAN
(To himself)
I guess.
(To Kristin)
I've got some leftover pizza, sandwich stuff, cereal... Anything?

KRISTIN
As long as there aren't any mushrooms on the pizza, that sounds good.

Ryan puts a couple of slices into a microwave.

RYAN
I never asked your name.

KRISTIN
It's Kristin. What about you?

RYAN
Ryan Walker.

Ryan bows. He walks the pizza to Kristin.

KRISTIN
Thank you, good sir.

Kristin takes a bite out her pizza.

KRISTIN
So, what do you do? I mean, besides, you know, beating up muggers.

RYAN
Not much. I kind of do odd-jobs. I've never really found my niche. You?

KRISTIN
Pretty much the same. I mean, I went to school, but I never really had a, you know, passion for something.

RYAN
I bet the folks love that.

KRISTIN
Wouldn't know. My dad split when I was pretty young. My mom died not long after. I've been kind of on my own for a long time. It's not to bad though, I get to do my own thing. The only one who disapproves of me is me.

RYAN
I can understand that. I never even knew my parents. They died when I was still a baby. I was in foster homes until I was eighteen, and then I left and attained this great wealth and stature.

Ryan motions around the apartment with a slice.

KRISTIN
A man's home is his castle after all.

RYAN
Yup. Do you want the bed or the couch?

KRISTIN
I'll take the couch. I actually prefer small spaces anyway.

Ryan gets up and grabs some sheets from a hall closet. As he finishes furnishing the couch Kristin speaks to him.

KRISTIN
You couldn't stay out here tonight, could you? I mean, just until I fall asleep. I don't know if I will otherwise.

RYAN
Sure. I don't really sleep anyway.

KRISTIN
Oh?

RYAN
Night terrors. I've had them pretty much my whole life.

KRISTIN
I'm sorry.

RYAN
No, it's okay really. I get a lot done when I would just be resting anyway.

KRISTIN
It must still be hard.

RYAN
Not really. We are in the age of caffeine after all.

Kristin settles into the couch, Ryan sitting at her feet. She closes her eyes as he lays his head back.

FADE TO:

INT. PRISON CELL

Ryan lies on the floor of the cell. The chains at his wrists are no longer attached to the wall. Blood runs from his chest. A heap lies beside him, the dark form of the voice that spoke to him earlier. He gasps for breath. Light footsteps can be heard.

WOMAN
You did well. I did not expect you to survive this long.

RYAN
(Struggling)
How? What is happening?

WOMAN
You are dying. There is, however, another way. If you wish it, this suffering can end.

RYAN
Be away from me, temptress.

WOMAN
Temptress nothing. I am your inner demon. The view moves away from the two and Ryan can be heard screaming.

CUT TO:

INT. RYAN'S APARTMENT

Ryan's eyes burst open as his hand grabs his chest. Getting his bearings, he slows his breathing. He is about to rise, but is stopped by the legs that lie across his lap. He looks to Kristin and remembers that she is here. He lets out a breath and sits back in his seat.

Scott Tuplin

i didn't like this so much, but that's probably due to the fact that i don't enjoy horror movies as much as some people.

having said that, it was well-written. and i like the 'it was a dream' classic that you put in there.