Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Dark Books (1 Viewer)

demonic_harmonic

Well, its not incredibly dark, but Interview With The Vampire is always a good one if you want something sort of sad with a dead, blood lust twist to it.

Creative_Insanity

Well, I haven't actually read any yet, but I've heard Caitlin R. Kiernan is a great author. Start with Silk, then read Murder of Angels. I currently have one of her books on hold at the library .. I'm very excited. She seems like a good author.

Delimetrius

The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvitore
and War of the Spider Queen. it contanes six books, each one done by someone else, but all connected.
First one is Dissolution by Richard Lee Byers
There very good. hope you like them

Iorek Brynison

Chris said:
The Secret History by Donna Tart.

I've read the book and it was quite good. The ending was depressing though (not the very end, the very end just confused me). There were some weird stuff in there like twins sleeping with each other :shock: and a guy that turns gay when he's drunk :shock: . The characters drink, smoke too much and some character's vocabulary is entirely composed of swears.

Chris

Yep, The Secret History can get delightfully twisted at times. I'm reading it again, and still continue to thoroughly enjoy it.

urbanophelia

Fight Club-Chuck Palahuniuk

(not so much dark as it is gritty and unflinching)

Drawing Blood-Poppy Z. Brite

(about a comic book author whose mother was murdered by his father when he was a child)

House of Leaves-Mark Z. Danielewski

(A house that is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, a lot of darkness, sadness, horror, fear)

Akumu

demonic_harmonic said:
Well, its not incredibly dark, but Interview With The Vampire is always a good one if you want something sort of sad with a dead, blood lust twist to it.

Anne Rice is cool if you like vampires, although out of the four books I've read from this author (Interview With the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned and The Body Thief) I'd have to recommend The Body Thief. It's really a great great book, and I was surprised after reading it. It made an impression which none of the others did (especially not The Queen of the Damned, if you don't count "pure crap" as an impression). Well, maybe the Interview did leave a bit of an impression.

You should read this book sooner or later!

Iorek Brynison

urbanophelia said:
Fight Club-Chuck Palahuniuk

House of Leaves-Mark Z. Danielewski

(A house that is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, a lot of darkness, sadness, horror, fear)

Is that the book with a index that has very common words? I wanted read it but, I've heard it has detailed sex in it so I did not.

urbanophelia

I'd give it a shot anyway--the sex isn't integral to the part--it's just a few paragraphs, so you could skip it and not miss out on the plot.

blackswan

Chris said:
The Secret History by Donna Tart.

I didn't think anyone else read that...it was great, I loved it.

If you haven't read anything by Ira Levin, don't call yourself a horror writer ( :wink: ) even though it's not really horror.

And Richard Matheson. I don't know about his books but I read his short story collection and there were some seriously distrubing, dark horrible amazing stories in there. Same with Rohl Dahl...I can never spell his name. And Poe and Lovecraft and Robert Bloch, of course.