Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

DAN BROWN- THE DA VINCI CODE (2 Viewers)

rocky

Where does this man go? Do we suddenly place him at the top?

Well I liked the Da Vinci Code but I did not love it like I love other books. He is certainly working his way up!

What's your thoughts!

Cheers

T

tubby

Well, a mark of him as a writer is the fact that I read tow of his books in three or four days. It's fascinating candyfloss writing, with a thin veneer of intellectuality.
The major disapointment was wikipedia-ing him and discovering quite how many factual mistakes were present.
He also has a weird habit of setting up a scene and then diverting the narration so far into abstract rambling about art, symbols or whatever that you forget any tension or setting or even characters present. It's not necessairly bad, just struck me as odd. And occasionally it wreaks havoc with the flow.

gohn67

Never read the book, I don't intend to buy it, thats for sure. THe damn library has it on pernament waiting list, so I don;t think I'll ever read it. I want to see what all the hype is about surrounding htis book.

Kane

The hype is, that he wrote a FICTIONAL book around historical circumstances. The plot being that Christ was married and had a child when he died and since then there has been an immense cover up. But it was fiction, he didn't intend for it to be considered real. However, millions of dimwits who don't have a clue about the religion they claim as their own were up in a frenzy trying get to the truth of the matter.

PaPa

Kane said:
The hype is, that he wrote a FICTIONAL book around historical circumstances. The plot being that Christ was married and had a child when he died and since then there has been an immense cover up. But it was fiction, he didn't intend for it to be considered real. However, millions of dimwits who don't have a clue about the religion they claim as their own were up in a frenzy trying get to the truth of the matter.

Actually, he did believe in the historical basis of his book. He was just as stupid as his readers.

Kane

I don't see how that can be the case, he's already admitted it was never meant to be taken as anything other than fiction. I only know because I watched some special on the book and its surrounding controversy the other night.

PaPa

Kane said:
I don't see how that can be the case, he's already admitted it was never meant to be taken as anything other than fiction. I only know because I watched some special on the book and its surrounding controversy the other night.

Either he's only referring to the actual story, or he's just trying to cover his arse. Probably the latter.

Kane

Perhaps, but some of the stuff in the book that was meant to lend credence to the story were completely fabricated. I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote the entire book to throw a wrench in the thinking of millions, but who knows. Either way, he cleaned house with the sales I bet.

Anarkos

Haha, I know how you feel, Sap. Except, me, I go down to the local public library and pick up total trash. Grabbed an old Cussler novel today...haven't read that arse since I was about thirteen. I remember trying to sell my old Dale Brown, Tom Clancy and Clive Cussler books and discovering that second-hand bookshops wouldn't even touch them...donated them to some charity garage sale or another in the end.

And, now, I'm re-reading them.

Um.

It's just 'cause I like diving watches, honestly, qand I want to read about Pitt's Doxa.

Riiiight.

Hakeem

Though he broke some records through that book, that makes you wonder... I didn't read the book, it is not allowed in my country (some cristian shit I dont know) and I don't have money to order it from the net! Please FedEx it to me... I WANT TO READ THE DAMN BOOK!

lisajane

Saponification said:
/me quickly hides copies of Dan Brown books

I feel so masochistic with such bad... literature on my shelves.

I see those books on your shelves, you're a dead man.

i basically made a pact with my then-boyfriend to never read a dan brown novel...

then we broke up...
4 months later i read through the da vinci code, mostly out of spite. all in love, it was about the level of a john grisham novel. i don't understand why there's so much hype but i suspect the Freemasons are behind it. :twisted:

O

Oren

I read it. And I laughed out loud at it, it was so bad. Terrible, terrible book. But a lot of where the controversy came in was that he put that little disclaimer in the front of the book sayin somethin like all the rituals, art, history are all facts. I don't remember exactly what it says.

Chris Miller

WF Veterans
god

I only read through the entire novel because my mom loaned it to me. I was disappointed from the start. What sloppy writing. Some of the "learnables" were interesting if they were true (those I knew about weren't), but mostly I felt like I was on a Paris tour bus. I was bored stupid. Not one well turned phrase or rounded character. The plot was childishly implausable and contrived.

A young French university student permenantly severs her grandfather (surrogate father) and mentor from her life because she saw him having sex? Please!

It takes the genuis protagonast to explain to her that it was a feertility ritual?

He just happens to know and drop in on the "bad guy" ?

Computers havn't been as slow as he describes since the sixties.

It an anal retentive, lazy book of careless research, loose ends, broken promises and letdowns.

Highly not recommended.