Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Daily goal (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikFite

Does anyone else who is working on a novel set for themselves a goal to write very day and a minimum they have to do? I"m currently working on my first actual sincere effort to get a finished novel under my belt. This is the first one that has gone beyond the first couple of paragraphs.

So far, it's going decent. I've been working on this one since July 18 and am into the fourth chapter, just under 64 thousand words. The characters still seem to be doing what they're told.

I set my self a goal to write every day and write at least 2000 words a day in the theory that if I force it and go off track, I can always go back and figure where it went off the rails and fix it, but at least I'd be maintaining momentum. I even have a chart I keep. Every week or so I've been going back and reading my last fifteen thousand words to see if anything looks weird or out of place

I feel like if I sit down and just work, the creativity will come.

Am I forcing it? Is that even bad if I'm finally getting words on paper.

Cephus

Absolutely. Minimum 5k a day, 5 days a week. I finish a draft of a novel in a month, 6-8 times a year. I track absolutely everything. Creativity is in the habit, not in some nebulous "inspiration".

WasatchWind

Does anyone else who is working on a novel set for themselves a goal to write very day and a minimum they have to do? I"m currently working on my first actual sincere effort to get a finished novel under my belt. This is the first one that has gone beyond the first couple of paragraphs.

So far, it's going decent. I've been working on this one since July 18 and am into the fourth chapter, just under 64 thousand words. The characters still seem to be doing what they're told.

I set my self a goal to write every day and write at least 2000 words a day in the theory that if I force it and go off track, I can always go back and figure where it went off the rails and fix it, but at least I'd be maintaining momentum. I even have a chart I keep. Every week or so I've been going back and reading my last fifteen thousand words to see if anything looks weird or out of place

I feel like if I sit down and just work, the creativity will come.

Am I forcing it? Is that even bad if I'm finally getting words on paper.
I think 2k words a day is a great goal.

If that is difficult to maintain, you might reorganize it so that you're writing the same amount but in larger chunks.

The longer you're writing, the more time you get into "the zone" or "flow." You need at least a few hours I'd say, and that's when your mind goes into full creation mode and does your best work.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I'm planning on writing 500 words (two pages) a day when I start next Feb. I'm not going to put myself under any great pressure and I won't think too badly of myself if I slip and don't write anything for a day or two. I've given myself a full year to finish and I'm going to try and keep the novel around 300 pages. I plan on increasing that word count to 1000 words a day eventually with 2000 words a day being my final objective. Once I've got my first novel finished (which I will consider a milestone for me), I'll look to increase that word count further but I'm not going to kill myself over it.

My ultimate goal is to write 2 novels a year.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I don't set a goal to write every day. Because there are days, I just don't feel like it, and allow myself those days. Instead, I have a floating goal over of 15 days. It's based on my average word count for the last 15 days and projected out to the completion date estimated by the total expected word count. So if I have a few slower days, I can catch up in the following days. But, if I sit down to write, it has to be at least 200 words. I rarely write just 200 words, but it gets me writing, so it works.

Ultimately, you have to find something that works for you. I started with a minimum word count of 1000. Then too many days would go by with nothing, so I lowered it to 400. That worked for a while, and then finally I lowered it right down to 200. That seems to be working for now. I think it also depend on where you are in the process. Some days you need to spend more time thinking about plot, so you don't want to rush if there are things that need to get worked out. Otherwise, you may slow the progress entirely, if you are not happy with what you have to date.

Ahh writing...the elusive artform.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I don't set a WC goal, but commit X number of hours to the project. Often that time is spent writing - and would rather have 1000 good words than 2000 poor ones (but as a plotter I already know the direction the story will take, so for a pantser their goals will be different); other times I work on plot, or organizing my notes, or character studies / world building. IMO there's a lot more that goes into writing a novel than the words that eventually show up on the page.

apocalypsegal

My work flow is typically 2.5K words or so, five days a week. Usually get that in under two hours. If I get more, great, if less, well. It happens. :) I have to have breaks, due to family situations and the need to rest up after hard days, like shopping. I physically can't type a lot, so that limits me as well. Which is why I take long breaks from forums, so I don't use up my strength typing replies. lol

My opinion is that being consistent will do more for you than trying to hit an enormous word count. Some will be good at 500 words, seven days a week, others can do 10K a day, others more like me. Find a good system that works for you and stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.