Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Cross genres (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowley K. Jarvis

WF Veterans
Include elements from both kinds of stories.

Technically, every single story in creation is multi-genre.

We just dumb it down and give it a description based on what it's closest too. Haha.

JustRob

FoWF
WF Veterans
I agree with Crowley. Staying within one genre, whatever that actually means, is a discipline that I don't have, so I can't give you an answer. Just write the story and follow it wherever it goes. I thought that I was writing science fiction but a fantasy crept in. Then it became apparent that it wasn't any old fantasy but a romance, but which type of romance? Romance may mean a love story but in its older sense it can also mean a fantasy, so maybe there's some of both in my story.

Science fiction seems to imply that technology is in the forefront but my story is more about the human condition and my science is fiction because I don't know any better and possibly nobody else does either. Even my mathematics may well be fiction, but whoever heard of a mathematical fiction story? It certainly isn't geographical fiction; the locations are all true to life. Arthur C. Clarke once wrote geographical fiction, but the story was classed as science fiction. In The Fountains of Paradise he described an incredibly strong material that enabled remarkable structures to be built and he also took advantage of the fact that Sri Lanka was on the equator. He apologised to the reader for the latter because it isn't and he wasn't intentionally writing geographical fiction but lied to make the story work. Ironically those remarkably strong materials are now being developed, so that science may no longer be fiction, but Sri Lanka still isn't showing any signs of moving south. In like vein I could apologise for my science fiction and claim that it was just necessary to the story and I wasn't actually intending to write that genre.

Genre is a label to stick on the cover of a book, almost an afterthought. In fact our local lending library has abandoned filing fiction books by genre and now files them all together by author name with genre labels on them and not all even have such labels. I go into the library and think "maybe I'll read a book by an author in the F's today" so you might just as easily puzzle over what pen-name to use. If you write successfully then maybe one day your name will be the guide that readers seek out regardless of the genre.

Anne McCaffrey was a science fiction writer, or at least that was her intention, but her greatest success was her series of dragon books, which were really fantasies although she ultimately bent the long story back into being science fiction at the end. As a science fiction reader I enjoyed her dragon books far more than her straight science fiction, but then genres are a mystery to me. Oh yes, there's a bit of a mystery in my writing too ... and a couple of detectives ...

Status
Not open for further replies.