Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Critique an author whose work you read famous or not famous. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I was reading Bradbury. He has very nice prose and style. The story I read was the "The town that was sleeping. " I actually read this one because of the poetic turns of phrase. The clock moon is a very apt metaphor. I was disappointed this was horror and the victim did not have closure. What I liked was the setting and premise. I actually enjoyed the setting. The plot not so much. It felt the character was a victim and didn't solve the problem. After hearing about how great science fiction writer he is I bought his collection. So now I am moving on to the next story. I had planned one day a setting in a sleeping town but it was science fiction. Bradbury's story has a strong style. I will wait until I read more since my favorite writers of science fiction and fantasy are Roger Zelazny and Alfred Bester. I have 99 more stories to read. In science fiction in Bester's works I enjoy humor I noticed. While Zelazny invented some subgenres I think such as a fictional end of the world. So yes the setting and world was mysterious. I was disappointed it was horror.

The purpose of this thread is to find authors we would enjoy reading. By posting different authors and critiquing then we can get a sense if we want to read them. I hope to discover new writers by reading glowing reviews of authors whose works I have not read.

Last edited:

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
https://www.writingforums.com/forums/21-Books-amp-Authors-Reviews-amp-Recommendations

Me personally.
The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold
How this has avoided Hollywood I do not know. I have even spent a fortune and got the audio versions.
First and foremost it is about people and how they deal with the crap life throws at them. Stir in a history spanning millennia in a well thought through science fiction setting and you get something very special.
Highly recommended.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Thanks for recommending that book. I am not a big horror fan. However , he had a prose style superior to many writers. I might imitate his sentences just to know how much detail I need in my sentences. Of course the clock ticking is symbolic that something bad could happen. The whole town is sleeping and they are alone. The plot needed more to satisfy but the sense of mystery is written well as is the atmosphere and mood. I guess that is what I did learn and is what I eventually did enjoy about it.

I really recommend this novel: Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. It is not for everyone's tastes but the genius is how the author is able to strip away the fine details of everyday life with amazing detail and delicacy. If people are looking for action, supernatural or fantasy, this really isn't it. It is slow paced but once you get caught up in that world ... it's very hard to put down

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
For SciFi, I don't see how you can go wrong with the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey (actually co-written by two authors). Strong characters and the science sort of works.

'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' (aka Blade Runner) by Philip K. Dick has an interesting mood. Nice descriptions, interesting world.

Kurt Vonnegut has a bizarre style, and is worth reading simply for that. 'Breakfast of Champions', 'Slaughterhouse Five', and 'Sirens of Titan' I recommend highly.

Stephen King's 'It' is his best work IMO. It wanders a bit, but is worth reading just for the creepy factor. When he was writing as Richard Bachman I thought 'The Long Walk' was his best.

'Childhood's End' by Arthur C. Clarke is great book. I first read it when I was about 10 years old, but it holds up well. Compelling characters and interesting story - but has been often copied. A lot of his short stories are really good ('The Sentinel' is the short story that '2001 A Space Odyssey' is based on).

A must read for SciFi is Isaac Asimov's 'The Gods Themselves'. This is (I believe) the only book he wrote with aliens in it - and wow... are they ever alien.

Bradbury's 'Fahrenheit 451' is worth reading - especially for the first few pages. Everyone goes on and on about opening line/pages of a novel, Bradbury absolutely crushes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.