Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Cray's Craze: Cell by Stephen King (1 Viewer)

Omni

I do a weekly book review on my website (address is in my signature). This is the very first one! Its of Cell by Stephen King. The grading scale is a seven point scale.

Cell by Stephen King

You hear a rumble and feel the vibration, and instantly you react, quickly pulling your shiny new flip-phone from your pants pocket. Whatever you do, do not answer it. Why? Because your memory will blanked out and you will become a mindless zombie. Enter the apocalyptic mayhem of Cell by Stephen King.

Our protagonist, Clay Riddell, discovers this as the Boston park in which he has stopped to get an ice cream cone breaks into complete chaos. Within an instant, something soon to be known as ‘The Pulse’ transforms everyone baring a cellular phone into wild animals. On the ground, people begin slashing throats and biting ears. Anything and everything is used as a weapon. Cars crash and explode like bombs while planes literately fall from the sky and strike buildings.

Clay Riddell is an illustrator who is in Boston on a business trip regarding his graphic novels. Middle-aged, Clay is experiencing difficulties with his wife, Sharon, whom he deeply loves but just can’t quite get things to work out. Johnny, Clay and Sharon’s only son, is a middle-school aged child who happens to own a bright red cell phone.

This red phone is a driving force behind Clay’s quest to return home to Kent Pond in Maine to make sure of his family’s well being. Clay is matched up with a flamboyant man, Tom, who happened to not be carrying a cell phone because his beloved cat had knocked it off the counter and smashed it to pieces. Clay and Tom meet immediately after the ‘Pulse’ begins. They seek refuge in Clay’s hotel building, where they are joined by a pretty teenage girl named Alice. Together, the three navigate their way out of Boston and to Tom’s home in a nearby suburb. From there, into an adventure that takes them all over New England with countless run-ins with the crazy ‘phone-people’ who slowly develop into a quite intriguing entities. The ‘phoners’ as they are called late in the novel are theorized to have been rebooted like a computer and had new software installed in their brains. Over time, weird developments such as flocking and telepathy occur that make the victims of the ‘Pulse’ a truly unique enemy.

I could not set this book down! It had a neck-breaking pace that was packed with action and suspense. The concept was great and the writing was as excellent as always with Stephen King. Nothing seemed unnecessary or hard to follow. It was solid from cover to cover with an ending that totally left you hanging.

Score: 6.2

Last edited:

Avarice

Then why didnt you give it a full 10? Maybe you went insane as his descriptions like I did, such as saying 15 year old girls have hair styles like the sugar puff girls. His old stuff is miles better.

Omni

Avarice said:
Then why didnt you give it a full 10? Maybe you went insane as his descriptions like I did, such as saying 15 year old girls have hair styles like the sugar puff girls. His old stuff is miles better.

Oops! Sorry, forgot to mention that a 7 is a perfect score on my site.

hazel_baby

hmm....I think i'm going to read that book..after my two other boring summer reading books that i'm working on...ugh