Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Crappy first drafts (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Back in the day when I believed the lie "Just write it and fix it during editing" I wrote a manuscript that needed so much work that I threw it away and just rewrote the damned thing properly. Fixing it would have been like installing a V8 in a Yugo.

These days I take great pains to write it properly the first time. I mean, if you were building a car, you wouldn't say "Just build it and we can fix it during production."
Nope. You build it right, then you won;t have to shoehorn in that V8 later.

And don;t even get me started about all of the books I have started, then abandoned. Nothing like writing a couple hundred pages and discovering that the story really didn;t sizzle like you thought it would. I have many, many story ideas, but only a limited amount of time to write them. Ergo, I try to write the best story and discard the ones that are meh.
If the draft is created via Pantsing, that's true. If you spend some time working on the plot before starting out the result is different.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
Yep, there is a higher chance of a sloppy manuscript when you pants a book.

I uber-plotted a book one time where I wrote a synopsis of each scene before I wrote the book. That was a ton of work...and along the way I ended up inserting things that came to light. Damned characters don;t like to be confined by a written plot.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Yep, there is a higher chance of a sloppy manuscript when you pants a book.

I uber-plotted a book one time where I wrote a synopsis of each scene before I wrote the book. That was a ton of work...and along the way I ended up inserting things that came to light. Damned characters don;t like to be confined by a written plot.
I feel like if I pants things and it's a longer than 2,000 words things get messy real quick for me and I can't deal with the messing I'm creating.
But if I plot it, my writing is gonna derail from the outline anyway...damned if you do damned if you don't lol
I hear people will adjust their outline as the write. I'd say I do need a guide of some sort to work with considering I'm knew this this whole writing thing...
Only time will tell
At least you finished your manuscript. Can't relate 🤣

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
Nowadays my plotting is much simpler.

At the bottom of the text I am writing, I have a 2B written list...just floating below the cursor. In that section I write the things I wanna write. Just a quick blurb, usually just a sentence (enough to know what I wanna write but not enough to confine me too much.)
Then as I write those things I delete them. Not all scenes get written down and sometimes I have to add linking scenes asd I go.
In effect I am both pantsing and plotting at the time.
Big picture plotting, but pantsing the scenes themselves.

Tho in truth, I like to act out most scenes the day before I actually write them...so I know what is gonna happen...I just have to write it.

Status
Not open for further replies.