Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Covid-19 Supplies (1 Viewer)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
OMG. I hadn’t thought about needing a plumber.
Friend of mine and her family are now quarantined in a house with no working toilet (it seems like there should be a joke in there about toilet paper hoarding but I'm outta mental juice for the day) and it looks like the bill for someone to dig it up and fix it will run close to $10,000. So they're using a porta-potty and trying to get her brother's backhoe fixed so that they can dig it up themselves.

Fun times.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Covid 19 supplies? We have plenty of covid if you are running short. :)

Re wash versus wipe, a friend of mine who used to spend six months in India every year pointed out to me that people do not suffer with piles there, because they wash. It seems we all have them to some degree, they are only troublesome normally when irritated. I told a friend who was complaining and sometime later he said it was very true, 'Scrupulous cleanliness, works wonders, changed my life'.

Neetu

Friends of WF
Ummmm, Olly, they DO suffer from piles. In fact, it is quite common so I doubt your friend has his information right. They do use water, that is true, but there are other causes for haemorrhoids.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Why aren't they providing the equipment Ollie?

A good question, several answers seem possible. It will reduce the NHS to a state where they can sell it off without too much fuss; they are incompetent; they don't want to spend the money. The one I don't accept is that it is not available, other countries are accessing it, Korea is handing out masks on the street for example. Personally I favour incompetence, "Well, I passed it on down the chain of command, don't blame me", but then I am naturally charitable.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Selling the NHS was started by Tony Blair, not some Conservative, and is well under way already. They call it 'Contracting out' and such like, but basically it is private medicine by the back door.

Winston

WF Veterans
At my work (a base with 12,000 employees), they handed out masks... twice. For a whopping 2 hours each time. For all three shifts.
A couple of days later, the base Commanding Officer sent out an email beginning with: "Now that we all have masks…" Right. You see, the government pretends to solve problems, then moves along.

So, what am I doing? Providing my own masks and supplies for my family. And, of course, planning for way beyond this. I don't really need to buy "supplies", as we've taken care of that years ago.
I could detail what supplies and such, but I've done that before, and not many seemed to care. It seems like people are caring more now.
Interesting.

I did buy a case of Spam back in February. Because I like it. It'll go well with the 100 pounds of rice we have stored.

Amnesiac

Good job, Winston! And yes, the government always pretends to solve problems, then gives out medals, promotions, and pats on the back, and ass-kickings to those who don't "comply." LOL

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Be careful not to let weevils into that rice, Winston. Sometimes it comes with them, microwave is good.

My sister in law has been making masks. Her daughter was asthmatic and she has all these high quality left over vacuum cleaner filters that she incorporates in to them.

then gives out medals, promotions, and pats on the back, and ass-kickings to those who don't "comply." LOL
My Dad was a science teacher in WWII and didn't bother with the rubbish 'civilian' gas mask. Got called up by his headmaster and said why should he carry something he knew wouldn't work. They threatened him with a charge of spreading despondency if he didn't carry it so he used the case for his sandwiches. Some things never change.

Amnesiac

Nice to know, or maybe not-so-nice to know, that things are the same on that side of the pond too, Olly. /smh...... Government: Can't live with them, can't mount an armed insurrection... Ah well.

Users who are viewing this thread