Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Cover Sketch for My First Book (2 Viewers)

Deleted member 65820

My sister is an artist and she's going to create a professional copy of this drawing for me. I asked her to draw the design more abstract and simplified, and to fill in the page with colours. I will post her design after it's done, maybe tonight.

Steve_Rivers

I would scream "KILL IT WITH FIRE!" but it looks like it's already on fire... that's half the scariness involved.
I don't see many bugs on fiction book covers, so it has that going for it at the very least! Looking forward to seeing it develop!

Last edited:

Joker

I would scream "KILL IT WITH FIRE!" but it looks like it's already on fire... that's half the scariness involved.
I don't see many bugs on fiction book covers, so it has that going for it at the very least! Looking forward to seeing it develop!

Agreed. Most horror tries to be all subtle and shit now. Sometimes horror works best if it's visceral. Reminds me of The Fly.

Deleted member 65820

Here's the design my sister made:

---

I like it a lot, even though it's not exactly how I envisioned it. I want the colours bolder with a deep-pink background. The ant-monster needs to look more obscure and cartoonish, and it should look like she's rising out of the flame. Her body is supposed to be curved and facing downward, like she's hovering over someone. My sister is going to do a second design that I hope will be more in tune with how I picture it.

Last edited:

Steve_Rivers

Working with any cover artist (sister or not, heh) is very much a process of you transferring what is in your head into their mind, and as such can take a few revisions. (If you scrawl through fiverr.com you'll notice the artists there even tell you how many revisions they do as part of the price.) So I wouldn't worry too much that it isn't perfect the first time, Hank. If you look at my avatar or click on my name to see the banner image on my profile, all three images of Namazu or Raz took 3 sketch iterations each before being as they are now. The first try is always the roughest.