Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Cover for "Tiny Magic, Big Heart" (1 Viewer)

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I've always told everyone I'm a "Fake Graphic Artist". I liken it to Steve Martin's old routine about being a "fake dancer".

If this image gets torn apart, well, tough, because it's getting published. LOL If people like it, I'll blog about how I used my "fake graphic artist" skills to devise the idea and put it together. This is a novella about a mouse who gains magical abilities. The cat is in the story. I even described it with green eyes before I found the image.

Cover.jpg

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
I like the illustration. I like the fine line work around the edge. I like the background texture.

I don't like the border on the illustration. I think it should match the fine line work of the outer edge.

I think the title text needs to be emphasized more. I'd like to see it more ornate and larger.

Here's a quick (and rough) example of what I mean:

TinyMagic.png

Then again, it sounds like you're going with it as is, in which case…

Hey! It looks great!!!!

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I like the illustration. I like the fine line work around the edge. I like the background texture.

I don't like the border on the illustration. I think it should match the fine line work of the outer edge.

I think the title text needs to be emphasized more. I'd like to see it more ornate and larger.

Here's a quick (and rough) example of what I mean:

Then again, it sounds like you're going with it as is, in which case…

Hey! It looks great!!!!
The thanks above, plus an LOL. :) I told you, I'm fake. Your comment about the better border is TRUE. I was limited to the built-in border configurations in Fireworks--an ancient Fireworks from just before Adobe bought Macromedia and starting messing up their properties and instituting the horrible subscription model. (Never had a bug in Macromediaville ... many with Adobe).

Truthfully, there are probably other options, but time requirements prevent me from spending weeks or months to learn more sophisticated graphics techniques. I'm proud enough of knowing how to add 68% transparency to the cat and mouse image so it isn't too bright for the treatment, plus knowing to crop the original background I bought so I can blow it up to create more space inside the border.

Your font/title treatment is superb.

Here is the landscape for product like this. I spent six weeks of allocated writing time on the work, and if I ever make $100 from the published product, it will be a miracle. So, I'm engaged in vanity publishing, just not paying blood-sucking vampires for the vanity. Therefore, I have to come up with something I don't feel like a spendthrift pursuing.

I'd be happy to contract you for some fine-tuning. PM me.

Last edited:

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I love it! So creative. I especially like the green eyes on the cat and the whole colour story. Good job!!!

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I've always told everyone I'm a "Fake Graphic Artist". I liken it to Steve Martin's old routine about being a "fake dancer".

If this image gets torn apart, well, tough, because it's getting published. LOL If people like it, I'll blog about how I used my "fake graphic artist" skills to devise the idea and put it together. This is a novella about a mouse who gains magical abilities. The cat is in the story. I even described it with green eyes before I found the image.

View attachment 26899
Looks great.