Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Cover art for Redemption (1 Viewer)

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Freaking Amazing!!! Definitely worth the wait!! I love the juxtaposition of the buildings between the two people. This is a cover that would catch my eye. :D

Last edited:

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
You didn't ask for my opinion, but I'm gonna give it anyway, so gird your loins…

But first, I have a question: Is the artwork a single composition, or an arrangement of several images?
(it looks to my eye like an arrangement, but I want to be sure before commenting)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
IT was made for me by my cover artist.
You didn't ask for my opinion, but I'm gonna give it anyway, so gird your loins…

But first, I have a question: Is the artwork a single composition, or an arrangement of several images?
(it looks to my eye like an arrangement, but I want to be sure before commenting)

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
IT was made for me by my cover artist.
Okay.

Nothing personal is intended, and I don't want to give the impression that I'm shitting on someone else's work. I think the art is good. But I also think it could be better in terms of composition and color in order to heighten visual interest and drama.

I've got a lot on my plate today, but I'll try to put some specific thoughts together later.

Oh! I think the text looks awesome, by the way.

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
Redemption Cover Critique

There is a long tradition of book covers using overlapping images to create a compelling "Look at Me!" image that sells the book. The Father of this technique (or at least the most influential practitioner of this technique) was David Grove.

Here's a couple of his works for books.
Grove01.jpg

Three Important aspects of his work:

1. There is a dominant image. The thing you look at first. This is intentional.

2. The composition flows naturally from one to the next, leading your eye through the composition. This is intentional.

3. There is a unifying color treatment. Also intentional.

These three things are vital characteristics that, in my view, must be present for any book, poster or advertising art to be successful.

Drew Struzan is another practitioner of this method. His specialty is movie posters, but the conceptual foundation is the same.

Here are some samples (yes, I have a large collection of illustration books – it's my obsession).
Struzan01.jpg

Now let's look at "REDEMPTION".

Here's the cover as it is.
Redemption_600px.jpg

Here's the main objects (sans text) and how they are arranged along with a revised arrangement of the objects. The revised layout allows for a dominant image and the potential for integrating the flow from one image to the next.
ABLayouts.jpg

Here's a quick and dirty revision of the cover using revised layout as a base.
ABRevisedLayout.jpg

Here's a quick and dirty revision of the above cover with a somewhat unified color scheme.
ABColor.jpg

So in my (unasked) opinion, the layout needs to be revised and the color harmonized. Doing so will make the cover much stronger.

Please keep in mind how much you paid for this advice, because I'm sure it's worth every penny.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Thanks, but for me it doesn't communicate the mood of the story.
I've worked with Jake at J Caleb Design for years - we talk at length before he begins, sometimes we exchange sketches, then we keep communication open all the way through the process. I'll continue to use his service.

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
Thanks, but for me it doesn't communicate the mood of the story.
I've worked with Jake at J Caleb Design for years - we talk at length before he begins, sometimes we exchange sketches, then we keep communication open all the way through the process. I'll continue to use his service.
I think you misunderstand my intent. This was not a come on for work and I'm not trying to horn in on Jake's biz. It's great that you are happy with it.

My professional opinion is that it could be waaaaay better.

Be aware that when you post a public thread with artwork and ask for "Opinions?", that's what you are going to get. Sometimes you even get opinions from someone with a little experience and a longtime obsession with what makes for good book cover artwork.

As for "mood"? I'm not concerned with nebulous terms like "mood". In my experience that's a nonsense word when it comes to evaluating composition, color harmony, eye flow, and whether a design actually works. Those are the professional standards of good illustration. Mood ain't got nothin' to do with it.

Please don't think I'm angry or offended that you didn't drink from the sweet, delicious water I led you to. It's always my choice whether to offer advice and I'm well aware some people prefer their own garden hose.

Good luck with it. I hope it sells a million.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I really love the original Redemption cover as is. To me, it really suits the dystopian mood of the story.

However, @sigmadog, I appreciate you taking the time to show us a few different options and teach us a few things about design. Fascinating!

It's just like a writing critique, I don't always agree with it 100%, but it's great to get a different perspective and learn.

Backstroke_Italics

It's probably a little late, but since you asked for opinions, here goes.

First, I find CG covers to be very unappealing. They look cheap and fan-made. If you're paying a cover artist, they should be able to paint you an original work of art that looks good. However, if you're really sold on the CG figures on the cover, maybe ask your artist if they can at least render the two figures at the same resolution. The difference in grain between the two images was very distracting, and made the whole thing look like it was copy-pasted together.

Just my opinion. Feel free to ignore.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
It's probably a little late, but since you asked for opinions, here goes.

First, I find CG covers to be very unappealing. They look cheap and fan-made. If you're paying a cover artist, they should be able to paint you an original work of art that looks good. However, if you're really sold on the CG figures on the cover, maybe ask your artist if they can at least render the two figures at the same resolution. The difference in grain between the two images was very distracting, and made the whole thing look like it was copy-pasted together.

Just my opinion. Feel free to ignore.
Slightly off topic (bad Indianroads... bad!) - I like this guys art, nuff said, and he's set to do the cover for Inception... after that though, the cover I have in mind for the Last Ride is outside his bailiwick, I'm looking at other artist's but their work doesn't seem right. I may purchase a photo and do the rest myself.