Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Coronavirus related conversation (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmustard615

Music Guru
Retired Supervisor
Ok. Enough of the negativity. We are all going through tough times, no matter who you or where you live. When we come out on the other side, what is it you will remember? The quiet? The opportunities within that quiet? How you spent your days, that you may not have a chance to do if a stinking virus hadn't demanded that you just stop?

The book I'm going to write on recipes with toilet paper. :lol:

KenTR

Forget COVID-19...society as we know it will crumble when millennials start running the world.

[video=youtube;oa4i9Ap6dCg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa4i9Ap6dCg[/video]
Derp.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
So how is everyone doing? Our membership goes all over the world. What is the corona-virus like in your place?

I live in Kansas, middle of the United States. This morning I heard of the first virus in my city being found. I need to go to the grocery store for bread, but I'm a little nervous - all that touching; the cart, the keypad to pay, etc. My apartment building is quiet; nothing going on. No one is visiting and the common areas are closed. My grandchildren are off of school for the rest of the school year, and I can't take them anywhere. No movies, no shopping, nothing. I will go over to their house to do my laundry next Wednesday, so I will get to see them a little. I want to buy some yarn for a big project to keep me busy, but I may have to do that online. I will be working on my WIP and hopefully make good strides; I'm really ready to finish this up. The weather is gloomy and stormy today. All I see on TV is news and updates on the virus. I may get sloppy and stop wearing a bra. LOL!

How are you all doing?
I have already hung my bra out the window and set it on fire so that's done.

Well, I lie, I did have to dress like a normal person today and go to work as caregiver for a wheelchair-bound man. His wife is keeping everything sanitized and working from home so there's no panic but I had one of those moments where I mis-swallowed a sip of water, coughed once, and she nearly had kittens.

I've had great plans for yarn but haven't had a chance to dig into my stash and figure out what to do. I was trying to learn knitting before this all started so every now and then I knit a few more rows and once again realize how boring it is compared to crochet. (oooh, I'm gonna get knitter-hate for that one)

Bread, meat, and TP are main things the stores continue to be out of or low on so I currently have sourdough bread dough that I mixed up and started last night in the fridge. I may be able to bake that tonight.

Kids and I are reading a book that's just a little beyond their reading level. We each take turns reading aloud and when they stumble over a word they don't know I write it on a list. Then we go over vocab. I meant to get them going on Khan Academy for math or maybe math games but that's been like getting to my yarn stash. Just hasn't happened. Their school district doesn't at this point seem to know if it's going to try virtual instruction or not. Until then (and even if they do) they can do some mom-work.

Cabin fever seems to be the worst thing we're experiencing at this point. The other day it felt like the world had vanished but not in a good way like I've always wanted it to. Better today.

How's everyone else?

Ma'am

Forget COVID-19...society as we know it will crumble when millennials start running the world.

I hate to say it but I have a millennial kid and I often feel left in the past. They know what is going on right now and how things are done right now. And, of course, hugely enjoy letting their parents know it. :mad2:

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I hate to say it but I have a millennial kid and I often feel left in the past. They know what is going on right now and how things are done right now. And, of course, hugely enjoy letting their parents know it. :mad2:
That sure is the truth. My son's pretty darned sharp and, for fourteen years old, more together and aware of the larger world than I remember being at fourteen. I've become lazy at figuring out tech stuff now that I can just hand things to him and ask him to figure it out. :D

Hate to say it but every generation has its slack-jawed losers. And every generation has those who will save it.

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
I've had great plans for yarn but haven't had a chance to dig into my stash and figure out what to do. I was trying to learn knitting before this all started so every now and then I knit a few more rows and once again realize how boring it is compared to crochet. (oooh, I'm gonna get knitter-hate for that one)

I love both skills and often combine the two. Just for fun, here's a picture of a jumper I make for babies. It's my own pattern; it's a little long as its supposed to be a christening dress. I have been knitting since I was eight and taught myself crochet in my teens. The jumper is knitted, with a crocheted edge. I often make them with yarn that is not typical for babies - just to see how they work out. I have no small babies to give these to anymore, so I just ship them off to places I think might need them. They are fun to make. Get crocheting, Foxee, then show us what you did!

Christening gown1.jpg

dither

WF Veterans
I love both skills and often combine the two. Just for fun, here's a picture of a jumper I make for babies. It's my own pattern; it's a little long as its supposed to be a christening dress. I have been knitting since I was eight and taught myself crochet in my teens. The jumper is knitted, with a crocheted edge. I often make them with yarn that is not typical for babies - just to see how they work out. I have no small babies to give these to anymore, so I just ship them off to places I think might need them. They are fun to make. Get crocheting, Foxee, then show us what you did!

View attachment 25569

This panic-buying could actually spread to wool, I'm serious. I heard tell of an old lady in my locale who walked into a shop and bought sixteen balls of wool. She said that it would help her to cope with her self-isolating. Why not? I suppose.

dither

WF Veterans
And on that note:

I shall be doing my regular Saturday jaunt to Asda's tomorrow. Not looking forward to it. Firstly..... the bus ride....... alleged high risk for getting Coronered.
Then there's the going into the Asda store. It feels vaguely debasing somehow and I'm not happy about that but that's just me I suppose. Why SHOULDN'T I go shop?

River Rose

View attachment 25569

REBtexas

There are some very intelligent and serious folks saying that by May there is a good chance that millions in USA will have it. Something about how when something doubles every few day, before long you can hardly count all the zeroes. Who knows, could mean we're on a sinking Titanic and don't even know it. Of course some always survive. But the panic is here; to some degree. Here in Texas HEB shelves are constantly being emptied. Fear of dying; of death.

So I am going to put my neck out a bit and mention my book, Krishna and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance. This is a 6 Chapter book that I just most recently published on Wattpad. There is a link below. This book is free so at least I'm not trying to make a profit. Putting all that aside, the book does have a purpose and very much relevant to the fear and panic that is sweeping the world today: the problem of death. One great saint once said there were problems with a small "p" and then there is the big "P" - who wants to die.

When I had my bicycle shop I was confronted with all kinds of problems I had to fix. I came up with a formula that applied to all problems. Could it be applied to the biggest Problem? Krishna and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance takes about 3 days to read.

Biro

Here's a regularly updated map of the coronavirus spread that Foxee linked to a while back. Does it look to anyone else like the curve is possibly just beginning to flatten? (see the graph on the lower right corner).

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

It looks like in China they (if you can believe them) have stopped new cases by total shutdown and isolation. Which obviously stops transmission. There are those who say this isnt needed. But anyway the China virus or better known as 'Kung Flu' :grin: appears to be able to be controlled that way.

Meanwhile elsewhere it is spreading faster than toilet roll hoarding.

I would have thought if you kept your distance from others and kept washing your hands after possible contact with infected objects it would stop you catching many things. We will see.

Phil Istine

Staff member
Global Moderator
There are some very intelligent and serious folks saying that by May there is a good chance that millions in USA will have it. Something about how when something doubles every few day, before long you can hardly count all the zeroes.

That's quite right; I calculated this morning that if it were to double every day, there would be over 2 billion worldwide infected after a month. If anyone wants to check that, it's 2^31 if it were to double each day. However, it doubles about every 2.5 days so if left unchecked, theoretically it would take 31*2.5 days to get to over 2 billion - so about 78 days. However, that number would be massively reduced because you would be running out of new hosts to infect in a particular area i.e. a lot of infection would be back and forth amongst people who already have it or have had it recently enough not to become reinfected, so wouldn't be noticed. That's a concern too, the possibility of reinfection. As the virus mutates the body might not cope so well with a different version so could catch it again.

I was good fun at parties too when we were allowed to have them.

Biro

That's quite right; I calculated this morning that if it were to double every day, there would be over 2 billion worldwide infected after a month. If anyone wants to check that, it's 2^31 if it were to double each day. However, it doubles about every 2.5 days so if left unchecked, theoretically it would take 31*2.5 days to get to over 2 billion - so about 78 days. However, that number would be massively reduced because you would be running out of new hosts to infect in a particular area i.e. a lot of infection would be back and forth amongst people who already have it or have had it recently enough not to become reinfected, so wouldn't be noticed. That's a concern too, the possibility of reinfection. As the virus mutates the body might not cope so well with a different version so could catch it again.

I was good fun at parties too when we were allowed to have them.

Fella over here on radio yesterday saying that if the virus increased by 30% every day. In a month I think it was we would have 500,000 infected. By closing everything down and knocking the amount down to 20% per day. In the same time period the total would only be 50,000. A winner if true.

KenTR

Just got back from the supermarket. Now they have signs about limiting toilet paper to one pack per customer, but there was no toilet paper so I just took one of the signs.

Pasta is the new panic food. All gone.

Instant oatmeal all gone. Regular oatmeal abundant. Why? People have all the time in the world to cook oatmeal now. (Joke stolen from the late great Mitch Hedberg)

So I bought ice cream and bacon. No longer concerned about becoming overweight with a horrible complexion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread