Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Coronavirus related conversation (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
That's a shame, escorial, and I can't speak for the 'religious' people who you've been in contact with, obviously. I, too, have a problem with being told what to think and how which is why I don't pay attention to television much anymore and the teachers of political correctness in general (most of whom seem to be secular but quite religious in promoting a certain way of thinking).

Edited to get back on topic: I also don't trust the hype surrounding the corona virus fears. Not because there isn't something to worry about (Other strains of the flu that we consider pretty commonplace now used to kill in much-higher numbers) but because I have the feeling that somehow a good crisis isn't being wasted.

Biro

Edited to get back on topic: I also don't trust the hype surrounding the corona virus fears. Not because there isn't something to worry about (Other strains of the flu that we consider pretty commonplace now used to kill in much-higher numbers) but because I have the feeling that somehow a good crisis isn't being wasted.

And you are most possibly correct. But even so it doesnt really hurt to just make preparations just 'in case'.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
And you are most possibly correct. But even so it doesnt really hurt to just make preparations just 'in case'.
Hence the 'not that there isn't anything to worry about' comment.

The text of this meme might help us all...aren't memes generally helpful?

Neil Diamond: Hands
CDC: Yes, wash them for at least 20 seconds
Neil Diamond: Touching hands
CDC: No, please don’t touch hands
Neil Diamond: Reaching out
CDC: Avoid that too
Neil Diamond: Touching me
CDC: Oh hell
Neil Diamond: TOUCHING YOU
CDC: We’re doomed

(CDC is acronym for Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

KenTR

As someone with OCD bad enough to warrant disability payments and two kinds of medications, and whose obsessions are largely centered around germs, contamination and infections, the fact that I don't give a frog's fat ass about the coronavirus should speak volumes.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Today I went to the local pharmacy to buy a couple of face masks and alcohol disinfectant hand spray. (My husband is one of the people at high risk). While I was queuing, a customer at the counter was coughing into the air without any attempt to cover his mouth or use a handkerchief. Not only that, he coughed straight into the face of the pharmacist who was serving him. I was horrified. When it was my turn to be served I asked the pharmacist, given the current situation with Coronavirus, WHY the staff are not wearing masks? Poor guy looked at me and then to the Boss ... and replied they are not allowed to wear them yet! Then shrugged his shoulders.

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
Today I went to the local pharmacy to buy a couple of face masks and alcohol disinfectant hand spray. (My husband is one of the people at high risk). While I was queuing, a customer at the counter was coughing into the air without any attempt to cover his mouth or use a handkerchief. Not only that, he coughed straight into the face of the pharmacist who was serving him. I was horrified. When it was my turn to be served I asked the pharmacist, given the current situation with Coronavirus, WHY the staff are not wearing masks? Poor guy looked at me and then to the Boss ... and replied they are not allowed to wear them yet! Then shrugged his shoulders.

That is horrible! I think, if we find it containable at all, the reason it won't be will be because of what you just described, Carole. I read an article this morning about a university professor (New Hampshire) who, last Friday, was told to quarantine at home because he had flu-like symptoms, but went to a college mixer on Friday night anyway. On Monday he was diagnosed with corona virus, and has now potentially infected all of the kids and staff at that mixer. No consequences for his behavior was reported, and the question was asked, what do you do with people who refuse to comply with recommended quarantine? I don't know the answer to that, but I do know the probable result. It could be a real life disaster movie. So sad and it makes me angry. :(

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
As someone with OCD bad enough to warrant disability payments and two kinds of medications, and whose obsessions are largely centered around germs, contamination and infections, the fact that I don't give a frog's fat ass about the coronavirus should speak volumes.

Your issues are physiological and you are obviously not 'AT RISK': aka Heart disease, low-immunity, AS, Emphysema to name a few. We don't live in a bubble. Our community is multi-national and travels all over Europe... many have just returned from Italy, France, Spain, Tenerife and UK from areas that are affected. Italy being the worst.

That is horrible! I think, if we find it containable at all, the reason it won't be will be because of what you just described, Carole. I read an article this morning about a university professor (New Hampshire) who, last Friday, was told to quarantine at home because he had flu-like symptoms, but went to a college mixer on Friday night anyway. On Monday he was diagnosed with corona virus, and has now potentially infected all of the kids and staff at that mixer. No consequences for his behavior was reported, and the question was asked, what do you do with people who refuse to comply with recommended quarantine? I don't know the answer to that, but I do know the probable result. It could be a real life disaster movie. So sad and it makes me angry. :sad:

It's just plain selfish. He should be sacked.

Because of my husband's medical condition we have to take the warnings seriously. Even our daughter told us to cancel our visit to France. :(

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Now I am wondering if my mom and dad should wear these masks when they go to hospitals. A similar situation was present. People coughed and did not cover their mouths. And even my oldest brother that works with a lot of people since his one of the bosses in his own job should probably wear a mask.

Biro

His rants at least make him feel better. I liken him to a mini pound shop John Lennon. Poor old John was a bit of a pain in his day as well.

escorial

WF Veterans
I just hope the Royal family survive..as the prince said..there are to many people in the world

[video=youtube_share;QvLtVoidITM]https://youtu.be/QvLtVoidITM[/video]

Last edited:

JohnCalliganWrites

That is horrible! I think, if we find it containable at all, the reason it won't be will be because of what you just described, Carole. I read an article this morning about a university professor (New Hampshire) who, last Friday, was told to quarantine at home because he had flu-like symptoms, but went to a college mixer on Friday night anyway. On Monday he was diagnosed with corona virus, and has now potentially infected all of the kids and staff at that mixer. No consequences for his behavior was reported, and the question was asked, what do you do with people who refuse to comply with recommended quarantine? I don't know the answer to that, but I do know the probable result. It could be a real life disaster movie. So sad and it makes me angry. :(

Follow them with a little robot helicopter that shouts “cooties! cooties!” Until they go home.

Amnesiac

In my typical "whistling past the graveyard," I'm thinking that 7.5 billion "little miracles" is clearly ENOUGH!! Time to start culling the herd and maybe knock the population down by about a third... That oughta' do nicely. Yep Yep!

Ma'am

It must be a nightmare for those whose immune system or that of a loved one is compromised. I guess you'd just have to try to stay largely isolated for the time being.

I've heard it might improve with warmer weather but don't know if that's accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread